Anyone have any experience trying to track down biological parents?

XChris1632X

My girlfriend is adopted and has mentioned wanting to somehow find out some info on her biological mother. I don't know too much about this kind of thing but I do know that the info she has been provided is slim to none. I think they called it a closed adoption or something like that. Which means that she only knows that the lady was 17 or so at the time and a few other things but nothing about her name, where she is from or anything.

I know that there were obvious choices things were kept a secret at that time but 19 years later who knows what has changed. I don't know what she really expects to get out of finding any more information out but I think its just one of those things that trouble a person because it is "unknown". I know she doesnt hope to find her and have a relationship with her mother but I am pretty sure she hopes to just be able to see what she looks like and maybe ask if they could one day say hello. Like I said not really sure about any of this but I would like to be able to try to help her find someting or at least get it on track. Anyone ever dealt with this at all?

I would guess she would start by talking with whomever adopted her. They should be able to tell her where she was adopted from and from there have them see if they can send a note asking if the mother wishes to be in contact. Hopefully the adopted parents are helping out and being truthful. Just hope your not old enough to be daddy.

I am pretty sure her "mom" is honest and upfront with her about the adoption process. The agency wont do anything to assist her because they aren't allowed. I guess it was in the agreement 19 years ago when the process started. I know they attempted to deal with the agency regarding this.

I don't know really where to start. The only idea I had was to hire like a PI or someone of that nature. I know that this stuff has been done before and I even remember a TV show here recently where a guy specialized in these rare kind of jobs.

my mom went threw this about 10 years ago she was adopted at birthday in 1963 an in 19999 she started lookig but didnt have a address an had a partial name. she put her info up an all the info she knew about her birth mother up on websites specilaizing in finding natural mothers an kids ect.

tell her to join as much as she can an an put in an all info about her because who knoss mabey the real mother is looking for her an im sure the real mother has her name an who adopted her. seeing as ur gf doesnt have this info itll be a waiting game.

my mom went threw this about 10 years ago she was adopted at birthday in 1963 an in 19999 she started lookig but didnt have a address an had a partial name. she put her info up an all the info she knew about her birth mother up on websites specilaizing in finding natural mothers an kids ect.

tell her to join as much as she can an an put in an all info about her because who knoss mabey the real mother is looking for her an im sure the real mother has her name an who adopted her. seeing as ur gf doesnt have this info itll be a waiting game.

This explains a lot. Paul is from the future.

First step is to find as much background info from the adoptive parents as possible. They almost certainly won't have the biological parents' names, but they likely have the adoption agency. Next step is the local court records office to do a search, she may have to file a motion to get the records unsealed. Even if the records are unsealed and she gets the names and addresses, the location info will be quite out of date, so it can still be a lot of digging and research to find them. Good luck to you both :)