Dumping Pontiac = dumb move

Putty

Why dump Pontiac and not GMC. Chevy and GMC share so many of the same part even the exact same shape, look, etc, just a diff name. Atleast Pontiac is 100% diff minus similar chassis' they share. My plan there would be Chevy adopt a few winning GMC models, dump the others, keep Pontiac and end GMC line.

Guest tbutera2112

because GMC sells better than pontiac?

"hey...lets cancel something that brings in a lot of money so we can keep around a brand that sucks...woot"

because GMC sells better than pontiac?

"hey...lets cancel something that brings in a lot of money so we can keep around a brand that sucks...woot"

actually as far as i know, GMC really doesnt do all that well either being that EVERYTHING hthey have is just a rebadge chevy basically.

I was so pissed when i heard this this morning. it really is a dumb move. GM just needs to get rid of saturn, saab, hummer and GMC. No pontiac hasnt been the best seller in the past few years, but that would be an easy fix unlike the rest if GM would just listen to its customers. Everyone wants a trans am, so make the god damn thing and make some money. plus if they want to make it viable for the future like they have been talking about, they could also easily make a few awsome fuel efficient cars. for example, redesign the solstice, make it lighter, and maybe use a direct injection 4 banger (if its not already) to get good power and gas mileage. Since they didnt get it before, they could also just keep the G5 after chevy gets rid of the cobalt, but pontiac could get the turbo version. I personally think that would be a damn good start to turning pontiac into a serious money maker.

actually as far as i know, GMC really doesnt do all that well either being that EVERYTHING hthey have is just a rebadge chevy basically.

I was so pissed when i heard this this morning. it really is a dumb move. GM just needs to get rid of saturn, saab, hummer and GMC. No pontiac hasnt been the best seller in the past few years, but that would be an easy fix unlike the rest if GM would just listen to its customers. Everyone wants a trans am, so make the god damn thing and make some money. plus if they want to make it viable for the future like they have been talking about, they could also easily make a few awsome fuel efficient cars. for example, redesign the solstice, make it lighter, and maybe use a direct injection 4 banger (if its not already) to get good power and gas mileage. Since they didnt get it before, they could also just keep the G5 after chevy gets rid of the cobalt, but pontiac could get the turbo version. I personally think that would be a damn good start to turning pontiac into a serious money maker.

They are already getting rid of Saturn, Saab, and Hummer. I agree with you in that GMC could probably use the boot too, but I still think that dumping Pontiac is what needed to be done. Not "everyone" wants a Trans-Am, contrary to popular belief on this forum. Pontiac wasn't good enough to be the niche brand they should have been, instead they just rebadged some Chevy shit and brought in the G8 and Solstice. If they can save those two cars and introduce them into the Chevy line-up, then there is really no reason for Pontiac to exist anymore.

Bring back the fieros damn. Make them have northstar engines from the factory and I will buy 2.

I saw on MTV (Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory) that he had a 86 Fiero GT as 1st prize in a Best Trick competition. It was clean as shit too!

dot

I saw on MTV (Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory) that he had a 86 Fiero GT as 1st prize in a Best Trick competition. It was clean as shit too!

My best friend has an 87 GT and I keep trying to get him to engine swap. He wants to keep it stock :eek:

Guest Removed

pontiac are just re labeded saturns.

saturns make them money.

gmc sells big trucks and sell better then the base model chevy trucks, do to the fact they are cheaper. but the gmc trucks suck ass, fucking inner tie rods every 15k should have been part of the maintance

even after a 50% drop in sales last month, the GMC brand still out sold BMW, lexus, MB, subaru, audi, acura, pontiac, VW, and are only a few 100 vehicles away from beating the chrysler brand. and thats only 1 ton and lower vehicles. also consider that saturn sales sold about 65% fewer vehicles than pontiac, but pontiac has far far more cash pumped into it on a daily basis. i really wouldn't be surprised at all if the pontiac brand is in the red big time, simply because of how much cash is put in marketing.

By the numbers: March 2009

the G8? BUST. for the second time, everyone says that they want the car from overseas, that it's so much better than anything currently offered. it arrives, and no one buys it. G8 sales are absoloutely terrible.

take a step back and actually "think" about this decision for a second. the pontiac brand absoloutley sucks no matter how much anyone likes trans ams, G8s, GTOs, or solstices. either sell or die, and pontiac has been leaning towards the latter for a while.

When I got my TA 7 years ago I would see maybe 3 of them every few months. Now I have 3 in my own neighborhhood. When I got a GTO a few years ago you didnt see that many... now they are popping up everywhere. They do make good cars, they just charge too damn much. If the G8 was $23k it would be all over the road! How many people here will have G8's in 5 years... I would bet a lot

while the yearly sales numbers for the G8 thus far are about equal that of the GTO, the G8 was intended to sale far more cars than the GTO because it's a family sedan with multiple configurations in mind. the GTO was a sports car, and a sports car only, but the G8 is being offered with 2 'affordable' V6s along with the 2 more expensive higher performance V8s. there are dealers offering $5k off to move this car.

also consider that about 2,000 G8s are sold per month, while the grand-am it replaced sold about 12,000 per month. simply put, this is supposed to be a volume car, but it's selling like a niche car. if the G8 was solely a sports car, it's sales numbers probably wouldn't be bad, but it was intended to be a volume car.

if Gm would stop putting all these expensive features in a car that nobdy uses as well.

just make a car a car not a mobile computer,

who needs lights and wipers that turn on automatically, standard GPS, seatbelt clips.

if they could get back to basics and drop their prices 10grand allot more would sell.