slooow computer..help!

Guest fist302

Guest fist302

So i built a new computer a few months back and ever since my internet has been intermittently slow as hell. About 90% of the time its fast but then every once in awile i click a page and it just sits and sits, sometimes for over a minute! Its really really getting on my nerves :mad: The computer doesnt slow or freeze just the web browser.

Here are the specs.

Intel Q6600

4g muskin 800

ATI 4870

foxconn mobo

west digi sata 500g

vista 64bit

The computer has way more than enough power for the internets and it can run any game i throw at it with great FPS but it does this shit all the time.

So whats up with this? Obviously i would think it would be the internet but im pretty sure it started when i got the new computer. Could vista need more memory? Idk. I Keep my cookies clean, defrag every week and do windows updates and kaspersky updates with virus scans weekly so im taking care of her so whats up?

here is a pic for shits n giggles of what i look at when it fails.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/wpiner88/sloooow.jpg

Guest fist302
Does it do it in IE7 as well? might be a browser problem, stop using google browser. your computer sounds like it should be pimpin

I wish it was that easy! It does it in IE, Mozilla or Chrome so the browser isnt to blame. It is a pimpin machine sides this and i built it for under 800$ : )

Guest fist302
How old is the hdd?

go to speedtest.net and respond back with your results. your ISP could be to blame.

Hard drive is pretty new a few months old only.

Here is my results

http://www.speedtest.net/result/462644782.png

Like i said it is intermittent, the internet and computer is fast most the time but i get these terrible lag spikes.

Lag happens only in Internet browsing? I would look at your Network Card or maybe your network cable. I would definitely check for driver updates for the network card and take a look at the processes that are running when the problem happens.

Guest fist302
Lag happens only in Internet browsing? I would look at your Network Card or maybe your network cable. I would definitely check for driver updates for the network card and take a look at the processes that are running when the problem happens.

Thats a good point, i cant even remember how long i have had this network card, prolly well over 5 years. I will also try switching cables... thanks. If i go pick up a new card, does it have to be expensive at all or can i just get a reasonable/ cheapo one?