Thoughts on this case??

Putty

First, should not have bought an Olympic Arms. Second, shouldnt have loaned his gun out.. Eitherway, I think this is BS. it also shows how serious they take full auto weapons. If it was a "malfunction", let the guy go. If they can prove he modded the gun to do that...fine.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2008/03/13/ldt.tucker.govt.guns.cnn

This case is old now, but from what I can remember, they found that he had fucked with the internals in it, and that's what caused the 'malfunction'.

True malfunction = let him go, obviously

Self-induced malfunction = I'd be inclined to give him a slap on the wrist, and maybe a fine or something.

Any way it is put this man was in the reserves. Why the fuck would they send the ATF to his house over a single misfire at a shooting range.

I bet there was more to the story. But since its a old story I am not to worried about it.

It wasn't a single misfire, it was quite a few, and he knew about the cause of the problem LONG before he loaned the rifle out. Leaving aside the "messed with the sear to make it full-auto" issue, he loaned a rifle that he KNEW was malfunctioning (or improperly functioning) to a friend, and that costs him any sympathy I would have.

I'm actually more amazed that CNN had an unbiased (actually, PRO gun) stance on this.

Anyhow. He had admitted in court that he used a select fire sear out of an M16 in the rifle. In an AR 15 this does not immediately make it full auto, and it does not make it illegal, however it does lead to jamming and malfunction issues.

They (Gov't) fail to make it a point that the ATF's testing of the gun was only able to go full auto (and jam as well) when using soft primere'd ammunition. They could not get any of the "off the shelf" civilian ammo they tested to make the rifle go full auto.

This case is sketchy at best. I agree with slapping him on the wrist, fining him and letting him go. Yah he fucked up, but he's not the first to have this type of problem, my SKS has slam fired on occasion. However, I in no way (unless they come up with some earth turning information) think he's any sort of Felon because of this issue.