Looking for some help with braking

Solo Vette

The car 86 Mustang GT supercharged 306. Need advice on brakes. Thought about doing the Baer kit, however they only offer 5 lug. Now Aerospace has a kit with 4 piston calipers, cross-drilled rotors for 4 lug. They offer the rear disc kit for 4 lug as well. Has anyone had any experience with these. My problem is the front rotors are only 10.25 inches, my stock rotors are 10 inch.

The rears are 11+inches. Yeah I know how great a set of Baer brakes looks and I know they work well.

Any help or info guys...

Guest Removed

what are you looking to do with the car?

most of the aerospace kits are for drag race only, and im not totally sure if they offer a street kit like wilwood does.

what are you looking to do with the car?

most of the aerospace kits are for drag race only, and im not totally sure if they offer a street kit like wilwood does.

I think they list that kit as a street kit, but I might be wrong. The purpose of the car is for autocross and street use, with the occasional trip to the drag strip. I like the wheels that are on the car, and would like to keep them for my street tires. I have a set of pony wheels for my racing tires, hence the reason I would like to keep it 4 lug. If I have to switch then I would more than likely go Baer. Just looking for an alternative.

Guest Removed

well most of the kits in the jegs book are drag kits..they could make a street kit. but i know the drag kits have a rather thin rotor. and wrap rather easy with lots of heat.

now i can get you some pads that are great for autocross/ road racing. and with a quality cross drilled rotor, you would be surprised how well they work in racing and are very streetable, even with stock sized brakes. http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/street_performance/index.html .

but how small of a wheel would you be running?

cause you could always swap up to the 94/95 spindles and run the much larger stock style brakes on it with great success.(11-13" rotors) but then there are multiple ways of upgrading the brakes on that car.

Guest Removed
You are correct, they are listed as a drag kit.

thats what i though, but i would hate to see you upgrade to baer's and not be happy with them.

OK what I am looking for is a cost effective setup. I have no problem with upgrading to 94-95 spindles. I know that means going 5 lug, but that looks like the way I will have to go. Sorry, like I said I know Baer is good, but 1300-1700 for front brakes? Seriously? I had not thought about the 94-95 option, anything else I would need to change aside from the brake parts. My car has Koni adjustables on it, and I know the spindles in the shock mount area are a different thickness than the 87-93. Thanks for your help Rob

Guest Removed

they may work, i cant remember. but i figure if you run the 99 up brake's(gt or cobra) with good rotors and some killer pads, you would be set for just about anything!

mostly i know you have to install the 95 up lower ball joint and add some washers under the nut, and run the 95 up spindles. braided brake hose's and so on, and i think for the rear you could just swap a complete later model rear end in and have its disc brakes as well. that or someone out there is making a bracket to swap it over on your 8.8. with the ranger or aftermarket axles.

and keep a eye out on buckeyestangs.com and here and stangbangerz.com for everything you would need. but when the stuff goes up for sale, it normally dont last very long. i'd say post a WTB thread everywhere, and start checking with the junkyards on parts and so on.of course after you figure out which way you want to go.

glad i could help... need some incite or some advise or parts, dont be afraid to callor stop by the shop.