Stang + Rain = Sideways

Dr. Apex

That's the main reason I don't drive the Cobra in any wet weather. 550+ HP was made for drive pavement. :) However, I drive the '86 in the rain all the time. I don't think I've ever lost the ass end of that car in the wet. Not that it couldn't, of course. Decent torque, 3.73 gears, and skinny tires. I'm just very careful with it... :nod:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious I DO know how to drive in the rain, most people would have lost it in that situation!! I have brand new BFG G-Force Sports, supposedly a decent tire in the rain. Traction control was on but obviously it's slow to respond if it did anything at all.

RWD is nothing new to me though I have a lot less experience with it my experience in racing may have saved my ass as the car just snapped out very hard, torque however is not something I'm used to.

Edited by Dr. Apex

I have brand new BFG G-Force Sports, supposedly a decent tire in the rain. Traction control was on but obviously it's slow to respond if it did anything at all.

RWD is nothing new to me though I have a lot less experience with it my experience in racing may have saved my ass as the car just snapped out very hard, torque however is not something I'm used to.

I had those on my 300zx...horrible on anything other than dry pavement. Even on dry pavement i didnt have to push hard to break loose.

It's obvious I DO know hot to drive in the rain, most people would have lost it in that situation!!

I will add: All of the people in this thread saying that Ben needs to learn how to drive obviously do not know him.

I will add: All of the people in this thread saying that Ben needs to learn how to drive obviously do not know him.

Well, from what he told us, he does not know how to drive a Mustang in the rain and could have killed someone doing a simple merge.

We do know he can go around cones on dry pavement in a FWD car. Thanks though.

It's obvious I DO know how to drive in the rain, most people would have lost it in that situation!! I have brand new BFG G-Force Sports, supposedly a decent tire in the rain. Traction control was on but obviously it's slow to respond if it did anything at all.

Those are the exact tires I had when I spun out. It was a fwd car, the back still came out from under it lol.

OVR SCCA Solo safety Steward/Novice Mentor.............aaahhhhh i see what you did there. Its okay guys, he is just a novice from Mentor Ohio, you know..by Cleveland. Anyone could make that mistake. Dude there is no shame in loosing a little control...just let me know when your novice ass is out driving. You novice you!

OVR SCCA Solo safety Steward/Novice Mentor.............aaahhhhh i see what you did there. Its okay guys, he is just a novice from Mentor Ohio, you know..by Cleveland. Anyone could make that mistake. Dude there is no shame in loosing a little control...just let me know when your novice ass is out driving. You novice you!

Umm....You get sideways on off ramps.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/reason_dow/failed.jpg

Edited by O'Doyle

Well, from what he told us, he does not know how to drive a Mustang in the rain and could have killed someone doing a simple merge.

How do you get that? Because the rear of the car stepped out on him and he was able to control it? Hardly sounds like a near death experience to me.

We do know he can go around cones on dry pavement in a FWD car. Thanks though.

See the thing is in REAL types of motorsports they race in the rain like autocross does, if you ever attended one you'd know that and obviously you never saw my FWD car in action as you'd know that being sideways was a common thing in that car. I also managed driving that on slicks in the rain but surely your an expert on all thses things as you certainly sound like it. Any other monkey including you probably would have wrecked in my situation yesterday.

Any other monkey including you probably would have wrecked in my situation yesterday.

Negative, because I wouldn't have gotten in your "situation" yesterday.

Please don't drive your Mustang this winter. KTHNX

How do you get that? Because the rear of the car stepped out on him and he was able to control it? Hardly sounds like a near death experience to me.

If I'm not mistaken he said that he was very close to hitting the car next to him. That would be what we are drawing from. The road isn't a fucking racetrack, so don't give me the "I've been in the same situation at the track" B.S. Learn how to avoid losing control and you won't have to worry about your awesome driving ability to save it. I don't remember anyone doubting your track skills here, just you come in here and tell a story about being a little too aggressive with the throttle and expect everyone to say "Good save, must have been your awesome driving." Not going to happen. Trust me I've had plenty of traction issues in various weather with my old car and I never wrecked it. I guess that means that I am an awesome driver as well. Be smart with the car and leave the sliding to the track.

I have been driving mustangs since I was 16. I have never had one spin out unless I was driving in snow of on bald tires in the rain. I even drove my 450hp cobra through some serious rain in St Louis with Toyo Proxxes RA-1's that had very little thread. Maybe 1/16 left. I had issues but was not sideways. I find it very hard to believe that the car just got loose on it's own.

If I'm not mistaken he said that he was very close to hitting the car next to him. That would be what we are drawing from. The road isn't a fucking racetrack, so don't give me the "I've been in the same situation at the track" B.S. Learn how to avoid losing control and you won't have to worry about your awesome driving ability to save it. I don't remember anyone doubting your track skills here, just you come in here and tell a story about being a little too aggressive with the throttle and expect everyone to say "Good save, must have been your awesome driving." Not going to happen. Trust me I've had plenty of traction issues in various weather with my old car and I never wrecked it. I guess that means that I am an awesome driver as well. Be smart with the car and leave the sliding to the track.

If I had been looking to have people say "good save" I certainly wouldn't have posted about it on CR.

If I had been looking to have people say "good save" I certainly wouldn't have posted about it on CR.

good save.

in your 2xx hp car. both my GTO and my cobra have nittos, and i've not experienced the same problem that you have in the rain, although i don't drive the cobra in the rain at all--just been stuck in the rain a few times. i guess if they had cones on the freeway, you would have been just fine. our explorer has 235hp (maybe more than your stang, who knows), and my wife seems to have no problems controlling it merging on to the freeway. thread backfire