I Hate 3800's

pontiacfreak142

Not really but they are starting to piss me off. Ive had nothing but bad luck with them. I blew 4 of them in a 2 month span (not exactly my fault though). I had the car running great for a while with no problems, until last week. My valve train has always been rather noisy after i put the cam in, but it started getting really bad last week. I figured maybe it was just a rocker or lifter going bad, but no, i found out the thrust bearing let go and you can watch the crank pully move in and out as the car runs.

Normaly i wouldnt really care, but this is gonna take away from the funds of the LS build, along with time. We think we are just gonna check the crank and see how badly it has been damaged and maybe just put in a new bearing in it for the rest of this seaon while i get the V8 ready. The only problem is time and money are being cut short so im not gonna be able to really go the direction i wanted with it. So the 383 idea is pretty much out the window for now. I think im just gonna find a 5.3/LS1 crank, and pick a set of used LS1 heads and a decent sized cam and go for mid-high 11's with it. It kind sucks, but i gues its not all that bad as it will be in the car quite a bit sooner than i expected.

Im Kind of on the broke side right now, but if anyone happens to have some LS1 heads or crank for cheap, let me know.

Think of the V8 those 4 or 5 V6s could have paid for.

People who build up V6s are always happy until they build a V8.

Just rubbing salt in your wounds man, good luck.

Thats just not nice. Although I've told him the same thing, I look forward to seeing this project come together. The V6 was cool but a 10 sec gutted V6 car with a transplant will be way cooler.

Think of the V8 those 4 or 5 V6s could have paid for.

People who build up V6s are always happy until they build a V8.

Just rubbing salt in your wounds man, good luck.

well, i really only pain for one of them, so it wouldnt have pain for much lol.

Thats just not nice. Although I've told him the same thing, I look forward to seeing this project come together. The V6 was cool but a 10 sec gutted V6 car with a transplant will be way cooler.

thanks man, i am to. although it is kind of getting rushed now cause depending on how bad the crank is, i might just stick a new bearing in it and hope it last the rest of this season, but im gonna be rushing to get the V8 done in case so its not quite gonna be what i wanted. im still figuring some ported LS1 heads and a nice cam might still get me close to 10's, or at least i hope.