Wicked armored bug

Science Abuse

Stag Beetle. That one is a male. The mandibles look nasty, but they use them like deer use their antlers, to fight for females. The smaller one ends up flipped on its back.

They can't hurt you for anything, it feels sort of like a clothes pin. They can barely even dent the skin, let alone break through.

I have not seen one of those since i was a kid. We used to make those things fight everything. Would lock them in containers with everything from grasshoppers to snakes. Cool lil beetle.

wow you must be old. probably the original version of mortal combat or something right?

WTF is this?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/457/bugi.jpg

I tried to crush him between my fingers and he shot across the room. Had to cut him in half with wire cutters.

Dude, no idea what the hell that is. The last one I saw, I messed with for a long ass time, its death finally came when I dropped it on some dry ice at the store next door.

Whoever said it was a stag beetle is incorrect. Looks like something in the subfamily Scaritinae in the ground beetles, maybe even Scarites itself. Hard to say without something to use for scale. It's a very hard specie to key.