Beginner/Budget Detail Tips

TURBOED

My GF recently bought an '06 civic. The paint doesn't have anything major, but definitely shows a lot of swirls and such. I told her I would do my best to get them out. My problem, however, is that I don't have any type of mechanical help (buffers, etc), and I am hoping not to buy 10 different high dollar products.

I guess my question is, what would be a good "budget detail" for just the normal guy? Certainly there is something in between a regular wash/wax, and a full on detail, right? Are there any hand applied products that will do a decent job on swirls marks? Any methods/products/advice is much appreciated.

You can spend very little money on products to keep and maintain a car in outstanding condition. Most of the damage actually comes from improper washing and drying technique or materials. Spend some money on a couple of quality wash mits, buckets, microfiber towels / applicators. etc. Pick a single wax of your choosing, maybe a spray detailer, and something for the interior and you should be set on the maintenance side. I'd say $75-100 could easily get you all of this. Here's a great article on the topic.

http://www.autopia.org/publish/articles/6/1/--Wash-amp-Dry-Your-Car-Like-A-Pro/Page1.html

However...once a car is swirled up and requires correction work that's where the numerous products and machines are required to get it back to where it needs to be. If you don't intend on using them on a regular basis the cost to acquire these is probably not worth it vs. having one of the detailers here correct the paint to a level where you can maintain it on your own.

Andy

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of... so there aren't any easily applied products out there that would even help with the swirl marks?

I guess she'll probably just have to settle for a good wash and wax for now.

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of... so there aren't any easily applied products out there that would even help with the swirl marks?

I guess she'll probably just have to settle for a good wash and wax for now.

You could apply a glaze by hand and partially fill them in. It'll make them less noticable and give it a really nice gloss. Put a nice paste wax over the top and it'll look nice but only for a short time until you wash off the glaze/wax or it bakes off in the sun. It's a decent short term solution though.

3M imperial hand glaze works pretty well for filling. It's a BITCH to work with though. Turns to concrete on the paint if you let it dry too long. You can find it locally though.

Andy

I have a Porter Cable 7424 machine, good selection of pads and some good polishes from Menzerna. I also have some left over carnuba wax. If you wanted to come over to my place, you can use my stuff for a small fee. ( just the cost of the materials used) No more than $20.

I would recommend you pick up some microfiber drying towels, buffing towels and applicators though. Also a good wax.

You could get 75% of the scratches out with what I have, and only be out about $50 total.

Let me know.