Importing Engines? Anybody have experience or advice?

spankis

So the Stealth needs a new motor. Even with only 78k on it, I think it sat quite a bit before I bought it, so its issues are not completely surprising. I'm still weighing my options between a rebuild/refresh ( a shortblock would fix my problems ), or a complete used motor swap.

If I was to go with a complete used motor I'd possibly be looking to import a "low mileage" Japanese Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5L V6, the 6G74. It would be replacing my 3.0L 6G72, and nearly all my accessories will bolt to it if I'd like to. The idea of importing a motor I don't have history on scares me a little bit, especially coming all the way from Japan, but others have had some success it seems.

Anybody have any experience with JDM importers? I'd like one that offers some kind of guarantee, a legit compression test, etc.

I would swap in twins...But thats just me. I have know people that ship motors from ebay and had good results. I bet Slo motion could track down a good motor for you too.

The issue with going TT is that I'd need a TT tranny to hold the power realistically, and with a 3.5 the turbo option is still there in the future if I choose. I can't afford the cost of new motor + turbos + transmission right now, and I can't justify it since my transmission is MINT. Baby steps :).

Does slo-motion do much jdm importing? Do they do any more than I would by just getting on the phone with a random guy and ordering it?

The issue with going TT is that I'd need a TT tranny to hold the power realistically, and with a 3.5 the turbo option is still there in the future if I choose. I can't afford the cost of new motor + turbos + transmission right now, and I can't justify it since my transmission is MINT. Baby steps :).

Does slo-motion do much jdm importing? Do they do any more than I would by just getting on the phone with a random guy and ordering it?

Thats where im unsure. Call and ask them tomorrow,they are a board sponsor.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com

This is where I got my 20v 4AG imported from Japan. Awesome prices and they have a start-up gaurantee. My shipment came VERY fast considering it's a heavy fucking engine.

They don't have the motor I'm looking for listed, but I may call them. They're listed out of Toronto and I'll be in that area of Canada in about a month, and picking one up might save me a few bucks...

They don't have the motor I'm looking for listed, but I may call them. They're listed out of Toronto and I'll be in that area of Canada in about a month, and picking one up might save me a few bucks...

Gaurantee they can get you the engine you want.. Hell, they said they could get me an un-cut harness for the motor I was looking for, or just random parts I might need.

If your transmission can't hold the power a stock TT puts down, I would be looking for a different car altogether.

It would hold it for a while, and possibly forever if I never launched it hard, but who the balls wants to do that. The getrag 5speed AWD transmission with a welded output portion is the strong FWD tranny of choice.

But thanks for your constructive advice, cupcake ;).

It would hold it for a while, and possibly forever if I never launched it hard, but who the balls wants to do that. The getrag 5speed AWD transmission with a welded output portion is the strong FWD tranny of choice.

But thanks for your constructive advice, cupcake ;).

My cat is now covered in Mt Dew. :lol:

Guest Removed

6G74? hell who did i work for? lmao

let me see what i can do. i still have some pull

are the us ones the same as the jdm ones?

i'll make some calls and see if a low mile sedona/amanti engine can be found.

edit: you see what i keep on top of my tool box...kind of looks like this = ?

are the us ones the same as the jdm ones?

i'll make some calls and see if a low mile sedona/amanti engine can be found.

Nah Rob, sadly it looks like the only ones that make for a decent swap are out of the "Pajero" a JDM-only truck. I'm still doing research, I'm not sure what to do yet...

Here's some more constructive advice. I paid a shitload of money for some jdm engine in a crap fwd car and was never happy. FWD sucks. It just plain sucks. I'm not saying "go buy an f-body", but don't spend a ton of money on something and regret it.. unless being slow and pretty (your car is both) is your kind of thing.

That's more helpful, but I'm already too deep into the car to bail on it now. Truly the motor is the only thing on the car that's not been replaced/modified. It's got a lot of potential left in it once I have some time and money. As far as it being both slow and pretty, agreed.

Guest Removed

isnt that like the sorento tho? its a rwd setup tho.and the hyundias used it in the mini suv, but kia never did..but i'll leave that one you...

onyl thing i need to know is if im storing this ? kind of running low on room

isnt that like the sorento tho? its a rwd setup tho.and the hyundias used it in the mini suv, but kia never did..but i'll leave that one you...

onyl thing i need to know is if im storing this ? kind of running low on room

Yea all those motors are technically 6G74s, but they all have their differences. Guys with more experience than me have done the research to determine what works and doesn't. The modifications needed to make the domestic options work isn't worth the hassle.

As for my car, I'll come bring it home before Friday. I won't have money to do much of anything until the middle of June when I go full-time again, so it needs to be out of your way.

We have built quite a few really really quick FWD TT cars and I have to say they were really fun to drive. Spun the tires everywhere you went but fun nonetheless. Even a little 15G set-up on a FWD car can make 400+ fwhp easily and trap in the 115mph range without pushing too hard.

Jeff

Guest Removed
Yea all those motors are technically 6G74s, but they all have their differences. Guys with more experience than me have done the research to determine what works and doesn't. The modifications needed to make the domestic options work isn't worth the hassle.

As for my car, I'll come bring it home before Friday. I won't have money to do much of anything until the middle of June when I go full-time again, so it needs to be out of your way.

thats cool...just hollar at me.