Well Mother *&^%!!!!!

SicShelby

I am limited with my tools - what did you use to press them on? And I might as well try to take the other two off, as they are going to need to come off at some point. Probably going to break those too!!

Were yours threaded? And where do they have dry ice, I have never bought the stuff...

are you doing it with an impact gun or by hand? Maybe you're not on it straight if you're doing it by hand? try a gun on it, usually the shock will loosen anything. And on the cars I've had to replace studs on you can usually push the in from behind, then get an opened ended lugnut and blast that thing on there to seat the stud in there.

Or...take it to your nearest ntb/firestone whatever and tell them to rotate the wheels forlike $10 or $20, if they break the rest it'll be worth it since they will have to pay/replace the broken ones, if not then at least you knw they are all loose now, lol

are you doing it with an impact gun or by hand? Maybe you're not on it straight if you're doing it by hand? try a gun on it, usually the shock will loosen anything. And on the cars I've had to replace studs on you can usually push the in from behind, then get an opened ended lugnut and blast that thing on there to seat the stud in there.

Or...take it to your nearest ntb/firestone whatever and tell them to rotate the wheels forlike $10 or $20, if they break the rest it'll be worth it since they will have to pay/replace the broken ones, if not then at least you knw they are all loose now, lol

Yes, taking them off by hand. I do not have an impact wrench. Thing is I am risking driving it, now, with only two nuts holding the rear tire.

Good idea... taking it to get the tires rotated. I might do that once I fix this side.

Guest Removed

i have a stud tool here that pulls the studs into the hubs. like a big lug nut with a bearing on it, so that way you dont destory the stud or lugnut...

normally they press into the hub from the back side. and yes, some hubs on some cars have to be removed to get the stud in.

make sure they are not reverse threaded....most newer cars are not, older stuff some are...maybe they was crossed up the last time they was put on?

if i can help you in anyway, lmk.

It is hard to tell right now with the tire still on there. But yes, Discount did my tires last and they got those things tight!! The rear are drum brakes - what is your take on this? Think they are threaded or pressed, and think it is going to mean taking the axle out to get them on, or just hammer out and press in?

Guest Removed

i have only seen aftermarket studs screw in..that and Vw's having inverted lug bolts..

to be honest, without having a new stud, and it apart, i couldnt tell you man...

Adam, I am kind of "lit" right now. Sorry, but I need more answers than just "replace the car." Thank you.

i apologize. my input was you could probably get it to a ntb closeby with the remaining 2 (though i wasnt sure if there were 4 or 5)

good deadblow or rubber mallet should break the drum free.

Okay - not a problem. Unfortunately, it only has four, and the broken ones are on the same side. I would rather break into it more where it is, then risk have the tire fall off in transit to a shop, because then... THEN I am in a whole different world of hurt! That whole thing is glued together. I had to kick the tire off, and that drum... that drum is ON THERE!!

Guest Removed
Alright broke the other two off. Now the drum... there should be nothing left holding the drum to the rest, right?? Because I cannot get the mofo off for the life of me!

de'adjust them if it seems the shoes are holding the drum up..that what i was saying in the other thread about cleaning the lip off to slide the drum on and off easyer to adjust.

BFH..and smack it a few times...they like to rust up to the hub's, and center hub ring. make sure you clean the drum face and hub face so when it goes back together, it doesn't wobble or not seat correctly.

You can spin the drum, so it is not locked up. I will definitely clean it when I get it off. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it a few hours ago, and I am ready to go try to bust it off. Seriously, I was WAILING on that thing with a hammer. Hopefully it loosened up some...

I also noticed that Discount did not center the drum with the bolts - you know how the lug nuts are tapered, and align everything to the hub assembly? The drum is pushed clockwise and is hitting the threads (they should be centered). I noticed this on the left front when I was changing the pads last weekend - the rotor was off center, and it ate the inside of the rotor all to hell. I am starting to dislike Discount a little...

I am going to head out and try and bust off the drum and then get a look and see if they are pressed on or threaded. From the manual, they look to be pressed.

Guest Removed
Never mind. I can just seat them and tighten them up with the new lug nuts, right?

put some washers under the lugs, and lots of grease on them if you are doing it like that.;)

Where are you doing this at? Your new place? I didnt see you at your garage

No, at the Cove. You have to get off your couch to see the garages, CJ, ha-ha. I probably went to Autozone.

put some washers under the lugs, and lots of grease on them if you are doing it like that.;)

Roger... well, all good. I was able to rotate the hub assembly and squeeze the new studs in, and then press them on with the lug nuts... That was a bunch of BS, but at least I did not have to take the hub assembly off.

Honestly the whole point of this was to see how bad the rear pads were worn. Now that I know, the actual brake job will happen probably tomorrow or this weekend. The pads have to be ordered. I will have four new studs and lug nuts standing by for when I break the left ones off.

Thanks for all the help...

i have a stud tool here that pulls the studs into the hubs. like a big lug nut with a bearing on it, so that way you dont destory the stud or lugnut...

QUOTE]

what brand is it?

I've been trying to buy one of those

pm me if you want

on topic

I use an extra open end lug nut and a washer to pull the new stud in the old chunk you can just whap with a bfh and it should pop out

Guest Removed

QUOTE]

what brand is it?

I've been trying to buy one of those

pm me if you want

on topic

I use an extra open end lug nut and a washer to pull the new stud in the old chunk you can just whap with a bfh and it should pop out

well there are 2 sets of them...one for larger stuff, and small ones...i think KD makes them, but not sure..i'll look later