Why GM is Failing.

thorne

<RANT>

I'm fucking sick of our POs SUV. We got a 2008 Equinox the fucking thing has valve tic like a SOB. I've taken it in and they tried to tell me they could not replicate it. Thats funny I hear it chatter every time I start the fucking thing.

It's got a crappy ride.

If I was not upside down I would trade this thing it today. :(

</rant>

it's the 3.4 I thought by now they would have fixed it.

What on earth would make you think they fixed it? People still keep buying them, so no real need to fix them. Kind of like Ford's 3.8 head gasket problems that went on a span of 8 billion years. GM is failing because of misuse of funds, well partially. When I say that I mean they didn't trim expenses when they should have, and when the times got rough, well I think they were in shock because they continued to do nothing. Once again this is an opinionated statement.

I used to be a GM guy... I even kept optimistic when everything went to shit. But the last three GM vehicles I've driven (one I have to drive every day at work) have been disappointing pieces of SHIT. GM had a great product in the past but it appears they've given up and have employed people who are complete idiots in their design department.

HARD plastic interiors that are textured to look like leather or colored to look like metal... REALLY?? Are they fooling anyone? Even my 1986 Corolla has a padded vinyl dash and window sills, and plastic that looks like plastic.

A Cobalt the store rented had power windows, doors, locks, and mirrors, but no cruise control. On a Drive-by-wire car? They cut a couple dollars worth of buttons so they can charge hundreds as an optional upgrade. Nothing like trying to gouge your customers for more money rather than offering a feature to increase the value of the car.

A pickup with the WORST suspension I've ever felt, a transmission that TRIES to be in the wrong gear, and manual everything WITH cruise control. Same company, polar opposite choices.. wtf? But I guess to make up for providing a feature, they decided to be sure the CC controls are as unintuitive as possible. (Switch for on, button for set, slide switch for resume, press button for decellerate, slide for accelerate, and switch the whole CC off to cancel.) On a stalk that looks very much the same as the stalk that my 1998 T/A had; which was considered outdated back then as well.

I've lost faith in GM.

A pickup with the WORST suspension I've ever felt, a transmission that TRIES to be in the wrong gear, and manual everything WITH cruise control. Same company, polar opposite choices.. wtf? But I guess to make up for providing a feature, they decided to be sure the CC controls are as unintuitive as possible. (Switch for on, button for set, slide switch for resume, press button for decellerate, slide for accelerate, and switch the whole CC off to cancel.) On a stalk that looks very much the same as the stalk that my 1998 T/A had; which was considered outdated back then as well.

The GM cruise control stalk is freaking CAKE to use, and easily done one-handed with your hand still on the wheel. I love it, and have for years.

As far as suspension, people comment how well my Avalanche rides, but it is a different setup than the standard trucks.

The GM cruise control stalk is freaking CAKE to use, and easily done one-handed with your hand still on the wheel. I love it, and have for years.

Anything unintuitive can still be learned through repetition. Say, over the course of years. LOL.

Valve noise can be considered almost normal at startup for a lot of cars, Thorne. But I do concur that GM has gone to shit.

when its cold its WAY worse. It did not do that 10k miles ago. I guesse I'm used to good motors like the 3.8sc and the ej2* .

:(

It sucks

I;m seroius if i thought I could get out of this loan even if I got fucked hard I would . It would suck but I don't think this car could make it to 100k miles maybe 150k.

On COS just the other day a guy with a 300whp ej205 blew his motor. He drove this car and enjoyed it. but it had 200K miles on it.

As far as suspension, people comment how well my Avalanche rides, but it is a different setup than the standard trucks.

The one in my STI (which I think is a mitsubishi unit, believe it or not) is a small stalk mounted to the wheel itself in the 4 o'clock position.

Press button on the end to enable cruise.

Up is Resume/Accel

Down is Set/Decel

Pull to cancel

Up/Down translates more intuitively into faster/slower than Slide this, Push that.

I was born and raised a GM guy, and even I don't care to buy anything from them lately. They have nothing that is remotely appealing unless it is outrageously overpriced. Even then, they bastardize and cheap on everything they can to maximize profits. They got greedy with the SUV boom, now it's biting them in the ass. They threw together garbage SUV's, milked the public for all they could and tried to keep milking when everything started to turn south. I say good riddance.

I remember the valve tick in my 98 Grand Am. In the cold, holy hell was it loud! And that engine's been around since, what, 1999? You expect them to fix it, right? Ha!

GM makes some decent vehicles. You just have to find them. The Malibu, the G8, Acadia/Enclave, Tahoe/Yukon and CTS are all good to great vehicles. Everything else in their line blows.

it's the 3.4 I thought by now they would have fixed it.

Really, it's quite odd to hear that people have had bad luck with their 3.4L cars... My dad does fleetsales for GMs big trucks and he gets loaner cars. Anyway, he has had an 2007 Equinox with the 3.4 and now his 2008 3.4 Impala, never had issues with either except bad tire wear.. I checked his "average MPG" on the in-dash unit, it was 28.5 mpg! Holy shit. :eek:

06 Equinox here... never any issues and treating my wife just fine. I think I am close to the top of the list of which CR member has owned and worked on the most vehicles from the most diverse list of manufacturers.

All brands have problems. And - dare I say it - imports are just as "shitty" as any domestic. I cussed my Honda's 200 vacuum lines. I cursed my Toyota's panels that I believe were thinner than my beer can. Fords... well don't get me started. :)

So Thorn, swap to a better oil filter and see if your tick at start up changes.

I should not have to swap filters for a car thats 2008 with less then 40k on it.

I know I'll try i'm just frustrated btw. is the 06 by chance a 3.5? I think that motor is made by honda

I should not have to swap filters for a car thats 2008 with less then 40k on it.

I know I'll try i'm just frustrated btw. is the 06 by chance a 3.5? I think that motor is made by honda

Why wouldn't you change filters on a new car?

Fixed.

Really, this is what I was thinking, but I was also reminded of my co-worker who thought she didn't have to change the oil on her car since it was new. I got a really good laugh out of that one. Suprisingly she made it 14k miles on her original oilchange from factory, before it seized up.

Ummm to a diffrent type as in brand. I do change my filter. I think IPS has done of few of my changes. I assumed everyone changes there oil and filter at the same type. sorry for that confusion.

Funny, just changed the driver headlight on my girl's equinox. Talk about a pain in the ass for just a head light. It rides like shit but has 95k mi on it and hasn t given her any major trouble yet.

3.4 sucks so I'm not surprised, 3.6 should not be doing that.

Someone stole my mailbox last night.

haha 3.6 is a turd too. How many engines have you seen, brand new less than 1000 miles on them that need a brand new head b/c they can't machine them right? Oh I've seen tons, and they were all GM 3.6's. I've seen several Aura's, Vue's, and Outlook's all needing new cylinder heads b/c GM didn't machine the tolerances correctly for the cams.

and jiffy lube cause I'm lazy

Why would you take it anywhere but your garage? You know how many oil filters I've seen not changed, b/c the kids were to lazy to change them? You have 18 year old HS kids looking over your car that know little to nothing about cars.