Know anyone who pulled a Subaru out of a mudhole?

Science Abuse

... Thank them for me. :p

Took a lil side trip today, someplace I've been many times. I've driven around this mudhole numerous times, but it was a bit wioder these times and my tires are f'kin worn and worthless. Slid sideways right into it, settled with a log/rock wedged under my rocker. I was so hung up that my suspension was unsprung.

I always carry straps and a come'a'long, but there was nothing to tie to, so I got out my folding shovel and started digging at the log.

Half way through, two fishermen showed up, offered to help. Backed their pickup to my car, strapped it to the hitch, and the come along yanked it right out. Offered them all my cash for the trouble and they wouldn't take it. Top notch men.

The car? Undamaged... ish. The front bumper got a tweak, but it happens often, bends right out. Undercarriage is fine.

Oh and next time dig a big hole, bury your spare tire, and use it as an anchor to pull yourself out. It sucks, but it works.

That's a great idea! i'd been trying to come up with ways to make a dirt-anchor, but never though of using my spare as a deadman.

Unfortunatley, I'd have had better luck digging ou thte car in this case. Teh soil is a mix of clay'dirt and gravel, and it was only wet in the pit because of a spring. Trying to dig a deadman without an excavator would have taken days. lol

Something else to consider, a Bollard. It require more line, but you dig a teardrop shaped trench a foot deep, rather than one big hole 3ft deep:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ejAk42p7jdY/SFK7tYnrdKI/AAAAAAAABG4/F49OBBSsRa8/s400/Snow-bollard-705505.JPG

Oh and next time dig a big hole, bury your spare tire, and use it as an anchor to pull yourself out. It sucks, but it works.

:confused: I'm lost how would this work? I'm not saying it couldn't or doesn't, I'm just having a hard time following in my head.

:confused: I'm lost how would this work? I'm not saying it couldn't or doesn't, I'm just having a hard time following in my head.

Google; Deadman Anchor. It's common in climbing, too. You set something with gobs of surface area into a hole and run a line at a shallow angle toward it. The spare tire/log/ice axe is being forced against the dirt/snow/sand, which doesn't move.

Google; Deadman Anchor. It's common in climbing, too. You set something with gobs of surface area into a hole and run a line at a shallow angle toward it. The spare tire/log/ice axe is being forced against the dirt/snow/sand, which doesn't move.

:( Okay, I still don't see how that helps you get your car unstuck. Are you attaching the line to you car then the anchor? If you are, how does having a line attached to an anchor help? If you're driving away from the anchor... well you're going to be held back by the anchor so you won't go anywhere, right? And if you drive towards the anchor there will just be slack in the line and you'll still be stuck becasue after all if you could just drive towards the anchor in the 1st palce whay do you need one? :lol: I feel like such a dumbass because I don't understand, it's driving me crazy!

:( Okay, I still don't see how that helps you get your car unstuck. Are you attaching the line to you car then the anchor? If you are, how does having a line attached to an anchor help? If you're driving away from the anchor... well you're going to be held back by the anchor so you won't go anywhere, right? And if you drive towards the anchor there will just be slack in the line and you'll still be stuck becasue after all if you could just drive towards the anchor in the 1st palce whay do you need one? :lol: I feel like such a dumbass because I don't understand, it's driving me crazy!

You're forgetting the "come-along", its like a manual winch.

http://www.cincytool.com/images/G-13.jpg

You're forgetting the "come-along", its like a manual winch.

http://www.cincytool.com/images/G-13.jpg

Ohhh... Okay, that make sence. As you inch close to the anchor you use the "come along" to tighten the line... I knew I had to be missing something. :slap:

Ohhh... Okay, that make sence. As you inch close to the anchor you use the "come along" to tighten the line... I knew I had to be missing something. :slap:

Nope, the come-along uses mechanical advantage and will actually yank the vehicle out of the hole itself, one crank at a time.

Like I said, mine was hung up so bad that the suspension was unsprung. We had to use the come'a'long to drage teh acar over the log/rock before I had any hope of putting power down.

I've been in situations before where I was stuck and then the vehicle that was going to get me unstuck got stuck and broke a pinion. Thats just funny watching us use a come along to see who moves first.

I've been in situations before where I was stuck and then the vehicle that was going to get me unstuck got stuck and broke a pinion. Thats just funny watching us use a come along to see who moves first.

i got ya beat. a club i was was went out to azusa canyon arizona for the mud bog offroad park... we got a big ass ram stuck down to the doors then 3 other trucks got stuck trying to pull him an the others out. ultimatelly it took an old k5 blazer with a big block an yanked all 4 out at once ahh was good times ill try to find those pics

http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/LiftKit.html

if you buy that kit I'll put it on for free just to see what it looks like.....

I'd actually considered a kit, but I'm not sure I like the way it works. It's really a true lift, it's more like a frame lift and leaves all of my mechanicals low and vulnerable.

I'll probably look into forester shocks, they're supposedly a bit taller.