Good cheap oil and filters?

Trouble Maker

I think so, if not just get the napa gold, or silver for that matter, its a beater

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, but I do want to take care of it and make it last. I drive pretty far to and from work so I put a lot of miles on cars. Might as well make it last a few years. If filter A and B are junk and filter X and Y are good, same for oil at all around the same price, I'd rather use the better ones. And I have no idea about good or bad on inexpensive oil and filters other than general branding which can mean nothing more than advertising dollars spent.

advanced has a sale on valvoline and filter(5 quarts) for 15 bucks or something like that...

Yup. 5q of Valvoline conventional and a Fram for 14.99. I haven't been with the company long, but the last three fliers have all had a conventional oil change deal (5q and a filter) for 14.99. (We also have high mileage 19.99 and synth 24.99 deals, and this month we also have a Mobil 1 deal 29.99)

I was always told if you're not going to run synthetic that oil is oil and as long as you change oil and filter evry 3k you should be fine...

I think that's a fair statement, and I could see that about oil. I guess I'm more worried about the filter, junk or improperly manufactured filter can trash an engine. And a question in my head of 'is autozone, or other house/off brand oils any good?'

Guest Removed
I would not trust any vehilce I owned to a Fram Oil "Filter".

BUT, that's just me.

KillJoy

you know that issue has been fixed right? thats as old as the firestone/ford tire thing :rolleyes:

I would not trust any vehilce I owned to a Fram Oil "Filter".

BUT, that's just me.

KillJoy

I'm actually somewhat interested in the Fram toughguard filters.. They have a screen over the bypass (if the filter has one.)

you know that issue has been fixed right? thats as old as the firestone/ford tire thing :rolleyes:

actually.....the issue with fram is the filtering material they use is basically just paper and will have more of a chance of flowing back into the engine with the oil rather than filtering anything out. So Im not too sure which issue your talking about with FRAM but as far as filtering goes they are still shit. Go find one and cut it open and compare it to another brand such as WIX and you'll see the difference.

actually.....the issue with fram is the filtering material they use is basically just paper and will have more of a chance of flowing back into the engine with the oil rather than filtering anything out. So Im not too sure which issue your talking about with FRAM but as far as filtering goes they are still shit. Go find one and cut it open and compare it to another brand such as WIX and you'll see the difference.

+1

WIX FTMFW!

The price between a Napa Gold and a Fram is too small to chance.

KillJoy

find a cupon and take it to a shop its like 1 dollar more than you pay the parts store and you don't get dirty or anything

Yup. Why do you think NTB Downtown has been taking care of the Grand Am and Escape?

:D

KillJoy

PS - Tell Tom to take a fucking Saturday off for Christ's sake!

he's been off two saturdays in a row and you can't come this saturday becuase I won't be there and you need to bring me donuts :)

$19.99 plus tax with the cupon at my store penzoil oil and filter

You need to get the 3 oil changes for $30 back! That coupon ROCKED!!

:D

KillJoy

Guest Removed

well thats why i never use there low dollar brand oil filter...that issue will never be resolved! im speaking of the issue of fram only selling junk filters. thats the issue im talking about

One of the following must be true:

the oil filter really doesn't make much difference

or

Fram filters aren't nearly as bad as alleged because there are many, many millions of cars and trucks running them successfully

but issue being,the endcaps on each end of the filter media are glued on cardboard. upon trying to take it apart, they are very brittle and break apart. a lot of other oil filters, including purolator and motorcraft use metal endcaps that won't do that. if you ever cut open a cheap fram you would see they are cheaply made.

i have a box of the cheap ones you can have! cause i know they are junk! just like any other low dollar part out there. you get what you pay for! now go look into there high line of filters like http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/xtended-guard.php incased with metal ends just like any other good filter out there.

hell this is from DaimlerChrysler

August 2002 Cummins Bulletin®

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

It has been brought to our attention that a few DaimlerChrysler service

technicians are recommending that the FRAM PH3976 filter not be used on

Daimler Chrysler vehicles with the Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine and

that use of these filters can cause damage to the engine. Daimler Chrysler

has informed us that they released a Technical Service Bulletin to their

dealerships communicating a potential contamination issue and recommending

the use of Fleetguard manufactured filters.

FRAM has been selling PH3976 filter for this engine application since the

engine platform launch and it has maintained an extremely reliable service

record. Late in 2000, Cummins and Daimler Chrysler brought to our

attention a low incidence failure mode in their Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel

engine of the piston cooling nozzle plugging, resulting in engine failure.

The plugging was caused by contaminates lodging in the nozzle. The

contaminants included metal chips, calcium carbonate, polyethylene, and

styrene butadiene that are not associated with filter manufacture, and a

neoprene compound, which is used as a sealant on the tapping plate of the

filter. There were also several other engine warranty issues determined

unrelated to the piston cooling nozzle plugging that were part of the

engine failure sample. A small amount of neoprene rubber was used in the

FRAM filter as a sealant.

Throughout our investigation with Cummins and Daimler Chrysler on various

engine failures, no conclusive evidence was found to assign cause to

filters or other contamination sources. However, driven to satisfy our

customers, the FRAM engineering team made modifications to the design

eliminating the neoprene and expedited development and manufacturing to

release a revised filter model number to PH3976A. With the design change

on the PH3976A completely removing the use of neoprene, there is

absolutely no validity in comments that the Fram filter should not be used

for this application or that it may cause engine failures associated with

plugged nozzles.

The Honeywell Consumer Products Group warranty policy also protects the

consumer if it is determined that a FRAM filter is responsible for damage

to an engine due to defects in design or workmanship. This information

should be openly conveyed to our customers if they have any concerns or

apprehension about using a FRAM filter for this application.

this is one reason i dont offer a low dollar oil change. i buy the valvoline kit deal, then turn around and sell the filter back to the parts store. cause i'll order the same filter each time, then get 12 of them and trade them back or return them..i buy so much from them it dont matter! but now they are just selling me oil by the case, so i dont even have to fuck with the filter shit no more. cause i can now buy a case of oil for only 5 bucks more, and be done with it.

My corolla (330K) gets only the cheapest advance autoparts store brand oil and a purelator filter. My family put 100% of those miles on that car too, but I'll tell ya a secret "it sometimes gets walmart oil and filter."

Hehe