Looking for TV's, anyone selling a decent plasma?

Science Abuse

My TV is starting tto make a dethsound, sounds liek loose voltage in the back of the tube.

I've been looking at new plasmas but figure that there are Technofiles here that may be upgrading and getting rid of something that would be a bigger upgrade for me. :)

IMO ur better off getting lcd. Especially if there's a lot of light in the room ie. (Window). Lcds do a better job when a lot of light is present and they tend to have a longer life span than plasma

IMO ur better off getting lcd. Especially if there's a lot of light in the room ie. (Window). Lcds do a better job when a lot of light is present and they tend to have a longer life span than plasma

K! I'll take one of those, too. :)

Anyone have an LCD TV?

The LCDs have horrible reponse time, and rapid movement, that my main complanit, and their contrast ratios are low.

I do like the less reflection, but if you have a tube now, its will only be better Eric.

You can go buy a new 42" 720P plasma for 600 dollars from panasonic. Thats your best bet, the only way to use 1080p is blue ray...NO cable broadcasts will support it, and they wont for a LONG time, hell they all arent HD yet.

Plasma will last easily over 10-15 years of normal use. As that point new products will be out and cheaper!

Buy for the current market conditions, not the new innovations, your paying the japansese ecnonmic pricing model, aka the mark up!

-Brandon

-Brandon

Hey, I forgot you used to work at Best Buy. :)

I'll be keeping the purchase under $500, right now there's a sale at Ye Ol Target with some Samsungs down at $399. They're roughly the same size as what I have, so I won't be hurting by taking the deal.

I can control the lighting around the TV, so glare can be worked around. Are the LCD's generaly cheaper than Plasma's? My mother got a flat-panel something, and surfing chanels is torture because of the delay. Is that the response time you're referring to?

decent and plasma in the same sentence? best buy has a 1080p 42" LCD for $599 its their in house brand DYNEX, I have a DYNEX 720p 26" LCD in my bedroom and I haven't had any issues with it (had it for over a year now)

Hey, I forgot you used to work at Best Buy. :)

I'll be keeping the purchase under $500, right now there's a sale at Ye Ol Target with some Samsungs down at $399. They're roughly the same size as what I have, so I won't be hurting by taking the deal.

I can control the lighting around the TV, so glare can be worked around. Are the LCD's generaly cheaper than Plasma's? My mother got a flat-panel something, and surfing chanels is torture because of the delay. Is that the response time you're referring to?

Thats time warner, or insights HD box...Another issue.

LCD's are fine they just need higher processers, and right now you can get that, for a price :)

Buy current, not future :) PM Eric the link to said trageeet tv

decent and plasma in the same sentence? best buy has a 1080p 42" LCD for $599 its their in house brand DYNEX, I have a DYNEX 720p 26" LCD in my bedroom and I haven't had any issues with it (had it for over a year now)

That's the one I'm looking at picking up. A friend bought one (I believe 720p) a while ago and he's been very pleased with it. All he uses it for is gaming and he said he doesn't notice any type of delay at all.

The local best buy has a couple of deals going on presently, both LCD:

Insignia NS-LCD32-09 720p 32", $320

Proscan brand 1080p 40", $550ish

Any reviews on either? I may move on the Insignia as early as tomarrow, the online reviews seem good.

ps, just caught a glimpse of my lose voltage in the back of my ol tube TV. Neat lil light show.

Edited by Science Abuse

that's very old data info.

Panny's have had the low/no glare screens for the past 2-3 generations. I have a 50" in a room with two walls of windows and a 42 facing the windows in our bedroom. Near zero glare even on a sunny day. They also are of the longest life of any flat screen out there now. LCD's will blow a bulb in 3-4 years of typical use. They aren't expensive but they aren't cheap either. Timing of this point couldn't be better as I just helped my buddy with that red VW from the Cars and Coffee meet replace his Sony Bulb.

that's very old data info.

Panny's have had the low/no glare screens for the past 2-3 generations. I have a 50" in a room with two walls of windows and a 42 facing the windows in our bedroom. Near zero glare even on a sunny day. They also are of the longest life of any flat screen out there now. LCD's will blow a bulb in 3-4 years of typical use. They aren't expensive but they aren't cheap either. Timing of this point couldn't be better as I just helped my buddy with that red VW from the Cars and Coffee meet replace his Sony Bulb.

+150,000

I did a ton of research, and ended up with a 50" Panasonic Plasma. 99.99% of any of the "plasma stigma" ended years ago. I have a lot of light in from the 2nd floor balcony/windows & deck areas and it doesn't effect the panny in the slightest.

Do yourself a favor and get a Panny or Pioneer(if you can find any around now) plasma. You won't regret it.

Do yourself a favor and get a Panny or Pioneer(if you can find any around now) plasma.

Pioneer technology was acquired by Panny and is being assimilated into their latest and upcoming sets.

Ok, I done a bad thing. Over my lunch break, I went to Best Buy to pick up the afore mentioned Insignia 32".

Well, turns out I was mistaken, they're $430, not $320.

This is where my logic got fuzzy: 430 is still the cheapest I'd be getting a decent 32" TV for. The woman side of my brain chimed in here and said "Well, you're spending $430 on a bargain brand anyways, why not spend 100 more and get 1080p in a 40 inch? "

I found one on display, watched it for a couple minute, turned up the speakers to give'm a listen... and walked out with the 40" TV, 60% over planned $. Funny how that kind of money can be reasoned away. lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9329381&type=product&id=1218086176467

Ok, I done a bad thing. Over my lunch break, I went to Best Buy to pick up the afore mentioned Insignia 32".

Well, turns out I was mistaken, they're $430, not $320.

This is where my logic got fuzzy: 430 is still the cheapest I'd be getting a decent 32" TV for. The woman side of my brain chimed in here and said "Well, you're spending $430 on a bargain brand anyways, why not spend 100 more and get 1080p in a 40 inch? "

I found one on display, watched it for a couple minute, turned up the speakers to give'm a listen... and walked out with the 40" TV, 60% over planned $. Funny how that kind of money can be reasoned away. lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9329381&type=product&id=1218086176467

Congrats, but I have to go on the record that Panny LCD's have 4-6x the native contrast ratio. Well worth the extra coin.

While I have love my 3 Plasma's, the guest room has the 32" LCD Panny and it's great.

Compare their 37" before you open the box of yours. You're not going to see a 1080P vs 720P difference on a 40" vs 37" unless you're within 2ft of the TV but you will notice the contrast ratio and deep blacks regardless of where you sit.

Good call Eric, well done! And Jones which panny model did you buy?

-Brandon

It's been a few years so I can't quote the model number. Got it from Sears during one of their holiday crunch promotions..... Been running strong with 0 problems. :cool:

ok, got 1080p.... is there any way to make my TV channels not look like shit?

Should I take it back and exchange for a 720p?

You need HD Cable or HD signal reception. Otherwise, it's not good. I no long watch TV if it's not in HD.

ok, got 1080p.... is there any way to make my TV channels not look like shit?

Should I take it back and exchange for a 720p?

Yet another reason to spend a little extra coin. A plasma only has 1 native resolution, in the case of 1080p Set, 1920x1080. Therefore, all "non-native" resolutions must be up-converted to be displayed on the panel itself using it's internal "up-converter" or "scaler".

Better TV's have MUCH better internal scalers/up-converters which makes all the difference on non-hd channels.

You might try and see what your cable box is set to, they usually have on option of internally up-converting to 720p/1080I/P, or passing the signal on un-altered to be handled by your TV's scaler/upconverter. You might see which option gives you the best results.

Yet another reason to spend a little extra coin. A plasma only has 1 native resolution, in the case of 1080p Set, 1920x1080. Therefore, all "non-native" resolutions must be up-converted to be displayed on the panel itself using it's internal "up-converter" or "scaler".

Better TV's have MUCH better internal scalers/up-converters which makes all the difference on non-hd channels.

You might try and see what your cable box is set to, they usually have on option of internally up-converting to 720p/1080I/P, or passing the signal on un-altered to be handled by your TV's scaler/upconverter. You might see which option gives you the best results.

I haven't been able to find any kind of up-scaling in the cable box, BUT I did swap to AV cables, looks a hell of a lot better than the coaxial. I think I may be able to live with it.

I'm still not using the whole screen, though.