Girlfriends Honda Civic

lcz06

My girlfriend’s 2006 Honda Civic LX car has recently been shaking towards the front two tires when you hit the brakes or at times when maneuvering in and out of traffic. It shakes the steering wheel, a little in the pedals, and can be felt throughout the entire front end. Would this mean that the car isn’t properly aligned? Or a brake issues? Please advise.

the front end/steering wheel vibration is warped front rotors like everyone said. If you're feeling it in the pedal as well the rears are warped as well

Actually, any of the rotors being warped (parallelism out of spec) is the cause of a pulsating pedal. The steering wheel shake is caused by the rotors warping so that both sides curve in and out at the same spot (kinda like a pringles potato chip). The other option for the steering wheel is steering or suspension parts being loose.

Sorry for the hi-jack but what causes warped rotors.

You are going to get several explanations for that.

I personally think the primary reason is, rust on the rotors causes uneven wear. If you look at your car rotors in the morning after is has rained, especially a fine mist rain. you will see the rotors are covered in rust, except under the pads that were protected. So when you drive, and apply the brakes you wear off the rust. However the material that didn't have rust on it stays. After a lot of this you will end up with warped rotors.

Others say its a cooling issue or caused by using the brakes hard.

sounds like warped rotors and unbalanced or badly worn tires

try the rotors first and if you still have trouble bring it down and we can balance the tires for you

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll take the wheels off tomorrow and have a look. I might also take you up, on that offer.

Guest Removed
Sorry for the hi-jack but what causes warped rotors.

a long list of things...i have seen rotors warp from being very hot coming off the freeway, then the car splash's a puddle on the exit..but normally that cracks them too.

sticking sliders

gummed up hardware

failing piston/square cut seal inop

over tightened lug nuts on some cars like hondas will do it

many reasons for this.

also checking the tire's first would be a better way of going at this issue. instead of just throwing money and parts at it like your playing a guessing game.

now when you are braking does just the steering shake? or do you feel the brake pedal moving up and down under your foot? if you feel it in the brake pedal, its more then likely the rotors, and what ever other braking issue you are having.

if its just steering, i would be looking at the tires more closely ..and i have had many cars come in with a bad vibration, and it be tires..and the tire would have a minimal amount of wear and tear, but they was the issue. due to braking forces acting upon the tire surfaces and what not.