Premature lightbulb failure

KillJoy

What causes it? It seems a lot of the bulbs around our house go out waaaaayyyyyy before they "should". Is it a line voltage issue? How can this be resolved, besides replacing the bulbs when they blow out?

Is there some kind of light bulb surge suppressor?

KillJoy

Could be one of several things.

Inexpensive bulbs is a culprit alot of the times. The more inexpensive bulbs have thinner elements and if you have surges they can break.

A loose connection somewhere could be causing an arc that could blow the bulb.

My niece had the same problems and I went over and started at the panel and re-tightned all neutrals and hots on the breakers. I then checked the joints at the light to make sure they were nice and tight. I then went into the swithes and checked the joints in the boxes.

The last thing I did was install a whole house surge surpessor and lighning arrestor at the panel. She hasnt had any problems since but i dont know exactly what fixed it. She also buys the more expensive bulbs as well now...

Hope this helps

You have a loose nutral wire somewhere in your circuit. It can also be caused by a loose ground as well. The nutral wire brings back the remainding current. The ground wire brings back what the nutral wire leaves behind. hints a/c alternating current. The 120-110 volts travels to the device but has to have a place to go back to.

I used to have trouble with light bulbs going out until I switched to the fluorescent type bulb. I haven't replaced a single on of those and it's been about 4 years since I put the first one in.

This is why I am posting this.... 2 of these have died with < 2 months of use.

:(

KillJoy

You have a loose nutral wire somewhere in your circuit. It can also be caused by a loose ground as well. The nutral wire brings back the remainding current. The ground wire brings back what the nutral wire leaves behind. hints a/c alternating current. The 120-110 volts travels to the device but has to have a place to go back to.

Please put down your tools and walk away from the box. Very slowly. In fact, put your hands in your pockets as you do so. Once you are 4 feet away from any electrical box, say very carefully, "I do not know fucking shit about light bulbs" and promise to never address this issue again.

For those who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, light bulbs have *two* wire contacts. Line and neutral. There may (should) be a ground inside the fixture or work box, but there is definitely NOT a ground on the bulb. A loose or disconnected neutral equals no light. Period. Besides that, the ground does not "bring back what the neutral leaves behind," unless your wiring is either broken, or there's something very very wrong, and someone/something is turning into a glow rod like that vid from a couple days ago.

Could be one of several things.

Inexpensive bulbs is a culprit alot of the times. The more inexpensive bulbs have thinner elements and if you have surges they can break.

A loose connection somewhere could be causing an arc that could blow the bulb.

My niece had the same problems and I went over and started at the panel and re-tightned all neutrals and hots on the breakers. I then checked the joints at the light to make sure they were nice and tight. I then went into the swithes and checked the joints in the boxes.

The last thing I did was install a whole house surge surpessor and lighning arrestor at the panel. She hasnt had any problems since but i dont know exactly what fixed it. She also buys the more expensive bulbs as well now...

Hope this helps

Please put down your tools and walk away from the box. Very slowly. In fact, put your hands in your pockets as you do so. Once you are 4 feet away from any electrical box, say very carefully, "I do not know fucking shit about light bulbs" and promise to never address this issue again.

For those who didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, light bulbs have *two* wire contacts. Line and neutral. There may (should) be a ground inside the fixture or work box, but there is definitely NOT a ground on the bulb. A loose or disconnected neutral equals no light. Period. Besides that, the ground does not "bring back what the neutral leaves behind," unless your wiring is either broken, or there's something very very wrong, and someone/something is turning into a glow rod like that vid from a couple days ago.

I cant tell you how many service calls I have been on where the light was flickering and it was a loose connection on the neutral. I understand that most engineers know everything but youare 100% misinformed on the statement in bold...

Since you are so informative how about tell us what the problem is hes having...

That is what i was saying. I use to do electrical service as well. I have plenty of problems with loose connections. And for the bulbs its either been neutral problems or the light switch was bad and arching and blowing out the bulb. But i dont do electric anymore cause i hated it so i am done trying to even help on this thread. mister engineer can figure it out

lol. i have a slight seepage going on right now. not sure if it is a case of swamp ass from the heat. or if the va j j is seeping.

If you have a vaginal discharge the consistancy of large curd cottage cheese, please contact your Doctor.

KillJoy