Evo Brembos FTL ... then FTW again

sol740

So Evo Brembos have a known issue with the clearcoat peeling, discoloring and looking basically like total shit. Mine had very minor peeling when I bought the car but you really had to look for it. Recently though it just went straight to hell and pretty much every caliper was looking pretty awful.

(cell phone pics, not so good but they do)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/brembobefore.jpg

On Evom it had been discussed that some dealers were replacing them for free, and others were flat out denying you and making you jump through a bunch of hoops to get anything done. I called two, and both denied me right over the phone (thanks dicks). Mitsu blames Brembo, Brembo blames Mitsu and now you're in the 7th circle of hell talking to assholes who seem like they want to do everything possible to not help you out.

Well I read on Evom that re-clearcoating the calipers revives the color, and looks pretty new if you do the prep. Taking off all the old clearcoat (razorblade and fingernails) and a little sanding. I have to say I am pleased with the result, and I didn't have to totally repaint the calipers and deal with the buying new stickers.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/bremboafter.jpg

I called two, and both denied me right over the phone (thanks dicks). Mitsu blames Brembo, Brembo blames Mitsu and now you're in the 7th circle of hell talking to assholes who seem like they want to do everything possible to not help you out.

I went through the same BS when my 3G started having trans issues. They have the worst customer service of all time. I will never again buy another new Mitsubishi due to what I put up with before.

Looks good Rob.

Considering the heat brakes generate I'm not surprised and I'm not surprised by the dealers reaction as all that's wrong is the color. If that's the worst problem you ever have with your brakes then your lucky for sure.

Those look good.

That looks so much better. Mine look the same as your before pic. Can I get a lazy mans link to the post on EvoM?? If not I can search, no biggie.

Pretty much followed this guys directions.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/160762-finally-fixed-my-peeling-brembos.html

Those look 100x better. Nice work. Hopefully it holds up.

Thanks, though I am curious how long they will hold as well. If its another couple years or so I'd be happy for the amount of work I put in, though the car might be sold before I find that out.