Taurus SHO

93toNV

Did you just say Taurus and Luxury in the same sentence ?

Go buy a 996 turbo and quit clogging up this thread. At least the SHO was at one time loved by everyone. More can be said for the 996's. :bangbang:

Just messing.

The new SHO is 4350lbs, its brakes are too small, the transmission is not suited for any more tq than the factory engine, and the price is outrageous. 46k loaded up, and then you can't get the track pack. About 44k with the track pack. Oh and not to mention its absolutely HUGE. I am a SHO nut and I couldn't care less about the new SHO. They should have put it all in the Fusion with a 6mt.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go buy a 996 turbo and quit clogging up this thread. At least the SHO was at one time loved by everyone. More can be said for the 996's. :bangbang:

Just messing.

The new SHO is 4350lbs, its brakes are too small, the transmission is not suited for any more tq than the factory engine, and the price is outrageous. 46k loaded up, and then you can't get the track pack. About 44k with the track pack. Oh and not to mention its absolutely HUGE. I am a SHO nut and I couldn't care less about the new SHO. They should have put it all in the Fusion with a 6mt.

The transmission is the killer honestly. If it would hold up to a flash & exhaust IE: probably somewhere in the 450ft lbs+ range then it would be very interested.

:sadface:

The transmission is the killer honestly. If it would hold up to a flash & exhaust IE: probably somewhere in the 450ft lbs+ range then it would be very interested.

:sadface:

All of the reviews have said that it's a great sleeper in a straight line, it would be great on long trips but it is NO way a sports sedan.

I completely agree with you that for those that actually know anything about Taurus and Ford transmissions that a 4400lb awd car with the standard taurus trans and brakes is just a recipe for disaster. Hopefully they revise the SHO in a year or two with better brakes, suspension and trans. Picking one up 2 years old for 20k would be a decent deal for sure, but 45k? lol

And Jones, you should hear all the idiot country bumpkins on the shoforum that say its an Audi, BMW, Acura competitor for 2/3 the price. lol They dismissed the G8 because it doesn't have as nice of an interior as the SHO:doh::lol: They think its on par with the Germans. Its like talking to the wall over there.

All of the reviews have said that it's a great sleeper in a straight line, it would be great on long trips but it is NO way a sports sedan.

I completely agree with you that for those that actually know anything about Taurus and Ford transmissions that a 4400lb awd car with the standard taurus trans and brakes is just a recipe for disaster. Hopefully they revise the SHO in a year or two with better brakes, suspension and trans. Picking one up 2 years old for 20k would be a decent deal for sure, but 45k? lol

And Jones, you should hear all the idiot country bumpkins on the shoforum that say its an Audi, BMW, Acura competitor for 2/3 the price. lol They dismissed the G8 because it doesn't have as nice of an interior as the SHO:doh::lol: They think its on par with the Germans. Its like talking to the wall over there.

You don't have to tell me, what 45K can buy today is amazing.

Guest fist302

For the price, yes absolutly. Power eveything in a mid size sedan with leather interior and a nice motor.

2010 Ford Taurus and Taurus SHO — The return of the great American sedan.

By Jack Baruth, on June 23rd, 2009

Photographs by Jack Baruth

It would be poetic to say that the return of the Great American Sedan was announced as the speedometer of the 2010 Taurus SHO swept past the one-hundred-and-twenty-mile-per-hour mark with the insouciant prowess of a young Mark McGwire taking practice swings in the batter’s box. And it would be more than delightful to describe the way this big sedan trail-braked into an off-camber hairpin, smoking in sideways and providing my dry-heaving fellow member of The Press As A Whole the most panoramic view possible of the Great Smoky Mountains above the spectacular dashboard and sculpted bonnet while the steering spoke to me with crystalline clarity and the transmission snapped off two flawless downshifts. Or I could describe how, on a hill so steep walking it would be a challenge, the twin-turbo SHO squeaked its front tires for a nearly imperceptible moment before swapping drive to the back wheels and rocketing us up the slope with the force of a small-block Chevy.

The truth of the matter, however, is that I knew everything I needed to know about the 2010 Taurus when I was handed a floppy-looking interior door skin.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/2009/06/10taurussho_69.jpg

There are more ways to skin a door than there are to skin a cat, you see. Entry-level cars use cheap plastics in big undifferentiated slabs. Camcords and Maltimas use a slightly better grade of material in a manner that does nothing to hide the essential plastic-ness of the interior. BMWs and Audis use mass-produced leather or Naugahyde panels set into a soft plastic door. If there’s stitching, it’s done by machine, and the leather is usually relatively low-cost stuff. Finally, Rolls-Royces and other high-end cars use top-end leather, stitched by hand and pulled around “forming blocks” to create a completely unique appearance for each panel.

For the 2010 Taurus, Ford hand-stitched cost-no-object leather around individual blocks and assembled a multi-piece, hand-stitched leather door equal to the very best. Once. Then they used a very high-resolution sort of mold to capture every last individual detail, from ragged hand stitching to the way each individual door featured slightly different wrinkles from the leather around the corners of the armrest. With that done, they sprayed a special polyurethane compound into the mold. Presto! A precise copy of a hand-sewn door, right down to the way the stitches feel on the “leather”.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/2009/06/10taurussho_65.jpg

It’s an outstanding way to bring the interior appointments of quarter-million-dollar cars into a vehicle that starts at $25,995, and it’s in a way emblematic of how the Taurus was developed. The car is positively slathered with new or new-in-the-class technologies, some obvious (the MyKey system that allows you to set a maximum speed for the valet key) and some not so obvious (the fact that the Alcantara-esque seat inserts of the SHO are made from recycled bottecaps). The styling is absolutely unique in the class, particularly from the rear, and the interior is a solid step above what you’ll find in the competition, both in feature count and general aesthetics.

What is the competition? It isn’t the Accord or Camry, even though those cars have traditionally been the mortal enemies of Ford’s mechanical bull. Fighting that battle is the Fusion’s job now. Rather, think Avalon and Maxima on the Japanese side and Audi A4 and Mercedes C300 from the Germans. Ford uses the Audi A6 for benchmarking and comparison, but in terms of price this is an A4 competitor. The 1986 Taurus was a volume sedan that eventually became the best-selling car in America, but thisTaurus is something else. It’s a premium car, aimed at the older consumer or the more style-conscious one. Boomers whose retirement savings have shrunk beyond comprehension lately will find that the Taurus, particularly in Limited trim, offers room, power, and aesthetics similar to that found in more expensive foreign sedans. Think of it as a budget indulgence.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/1158/medium/taurus2.jpg

We tested two cars: a white Limited FWD and a red SHO Ecoboost. The Limited was quiet, comfy, and stable well past the hundred-mile-per-hour mark on roads shiny with standing water. Deliberate attempts on our part to induce instability during high-speed hydroplaning were dealt with easily by simple design; the big lump under the trunk pulls the car straight and the suspension, which features a new “1:1 geometry” that allows the engineers to use equally-tuned shocks front and rear, is stable by default.

What’s the Taurus like to drive? Well, it’s like a Lincoln MKS. Haven’t driven one of those? Your loss, but let’s use a few other examples. Think Audi A6, Nissan Maxima, or perhaps a nearly perfected variant of the underrated Chrysler LH cars. This is a well-sorted, quiet, rattle-free big sedan which easily matches the big Japanese front-drivers on NVH measurements. The real difference between Taurus and the competition comes from the interior, which has a wide, sloping dashboard, premium-looking instruments stuffed full of backlit, glass-like acrylics, and Ford’s outstanding current generation of switchgear.

It’s easily the most upscale experience available anywhere for short of thirty grand, and this is even true of the cloth-seated cars, which have deep, characterful fabric of the type that was once seen occasionally on Mercedes-Benzes imported through the so-called “grey market”. Rear-seat room, a particular virtue of the previous-generation Five Hundred/Taurus, continues to be excellent, while the front-seat passengers have the option of selecting BMW-style massaging seats with both heating and cooling functions.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/2009/06/10taurussho_64.jpg

The best front seat available in the Taurus lineup is the aforementioned bottlecap-suede variant in the SHO; not because it’s any comfier than the others, but because it connects the driver to Ford’s stunning new EcoBoost engine. This twin-turbo marvel, largely based on the existing Duratec but with changes designed to promote durability and heat resistance, turns the Taurus from a pleasant sedan to an electrifying one. In a straight line, there are very few other thirty-eight-thousand-dollar cars that won’t be immediately presented with the SHO’s tail lamps.

Our drive through the twisty roads of North Carolina revealed the SHO’s considerable strengths and not inconsiderable weakness. Let’s start with the good stuff. Although the bones of the Taurus are somewhat related to the first-gen Volvo S80, there’s very little Swedish reserve in the Ford’s chassis. Instead, we have that rarest of things: a front-drive-platform (with all-wheel-drive added) big sedan that is light on its feet at speed. The EPAS wacky-electro-steering works pretty well at all speeds, providing trustworthy information about the road below.

The all-wheel-drive is fundamentally a hack, being more or less the same transverse adaptation that sits under my wife’s Ford Flex, but the transmission response has been sharpened and the result is a car that scampers out of corners regardless of steering-wheel position. It’s no Mitsubishi Evolution, but it has torque that no stock Evo will ever have and the manumatic will run against the rev limiter all day without making an unwanted upshift. On back roads, it’s a fast car despite the size. One black mark: the wheel-mounted shifter paddles are abysmal. The design isn’t bad, and BMW uses something similar. The difference is that Ford’s paddles are made of flimsy plastic, making it difficult to tell under stress whether the shift request actually clicked through. The good news: the computer is too smart to blow up the engine, so a motivated driver can slap them five or six times on every corner entry in the confidence that the car will grab the lowest appropriate gear for corner exit.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/wp-content/2009/06/10taurus_skv1771_hr.jpg

Our backroad drive was the very definition of frustration. We started at the back of the pack and had to pass pretty much every poky journo in the group before pulling off for photos and repeating the process. It’s just so easy to pass untalented drivers in the SHO: let the engine bring you past the next car ahead, point the nose, rotate the car into the corner on the brakes, floor the throttle early, let the AWD sort it out.

The SHO’s suspension is remarkably decent, although a triple-digit attack of a camber-changing corner combination exceeded the available damping and allowed both rear wheels to leave the ground for a terrifying moment while we struggled to control more than two tons of speeding Ford. The reality is that this isn’t a razor-sharp cafe racer in the vein of the 1989 original. That car took its inspiration from the BMW M3, where this one is very much a 335i type of car: big power, big weight, luxury as the primary goal. And just like a 335i, it doesn’t stop. The brakes are miserable.

Let’s restate that, just so nobody misses it. The brakes on the SHO are in no way up to the task. It’s not just they aren’t track-worthy. They aren’t even ready for a fast road. This is a thirteen-second car with the same kind of brake hardware one might find on a Camry, and the mismatch is egregious. There is a “Performance Pack” coming with better brake pads, but what this car needs is the Brembos from the Shelby GT500, stat.

Faced with fifty miles of fast road, a splendid EcoBoost motivator, and brakes that quickly let the pedal sink to the floor on corner entry, we cut pace between corners and used lighter, sharper applications to minimize heat buildup. But we still hoovered up traffic like the world’s biggest Dyson. This is a very rapid car in the real world, made more so by the fact that the experience behind the wheel is just so soothing. Snuggled in the SHO’s massaging seats, listening to the superb sound system, visually amused by the yes-it’s-real-metal trim on the dashboard, it’s easy to not realize that the speedometer is quickly creeping up into go-to-jail-for-a-long-time areas. This car would be faster from point to point than a Ferrari Testarossa, at least as long as the brakes held up, but it’s as big as an S-Class. Think about that.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/1158/medium/sho11.jpg

The 1986 Taurus carried the hopes of the Ford Motor Company on its shoulders. This 2010 model has a far more modest mission: to provide sedan buyers an affordable premium choice and to restore a bit of the tarnished luster to Ford’s American passenger-car business. It’s a small goal, but it’s an important one. For more than half a century, the American Dream was symbolized by a stylish, powerful, domestic sedan in one’s driveway. If any car can bring those days back, this is the one to do it. Don’t believe me? Open a door and take a look.

Source: Speed:Sport:Life - 2010 Ford Taurus and Taurus SHO — The return of the great American sedan.

nice article, very interesting. sounds like a great car besides those horrible brakes.

Wow, this is hilarious! I am so happy to have owned my SHO's. They were not perfect, however when I went to the Ford dealership back in the day they were polite, and fixed my SHO for a reasonable price. My Audi, well the asshats at MAG make you feel beneath them, and then call you with an 8 billion dollar estimate for an ass sized system monitor sensor in the seat<---this term used to express my distaste for the situation. Don't know guys, but we all have personal opinions. Just expressing a personal experience.

SHO FTW

Wow, this is hilarious! I am so happy to have owned my SHO's. They were not perfect, however when I went to the Ford dealership back in the day they were polite, and fixed my SHO for a reasonable price. My Audi, well the asshats at MAG make you feel beneath them, and then call you with an 8 billion dollar estimate for an ass sized system monitor sensor in the seat<---this term used to express my distaste for the situation. Don't know guys, but we all have personal opinions. Just expressing a personal experience.

SHO FTW

What a difference in experiences....

I love going to MAG, they treat you like a king, and are uber friendly. I love hanging out and chatting with the guys while they grab me a loaner. Never had any issues at all.

I love going to MAG, they treat you like a king, and are uber friendly. I love hanging out and chatting with the guys while they grab me a loaner. Never had any issues at all.

Like I said, personal experiences always differ. I guess it depends on who you are. However I am not sure I will ever buy another car from a dealership that has a Spa? Oh and a loaner? I could never get a loaner, of course this has been years ago. I still take cars I have for sale up there, and well same experiences. At least they don't treat everyone like that.

Back to the SHO, I am eager to drive a new one. Maybe get my buddy at a certain dealership take one out for a track day. Let's see how long the brakes will hold up.

Yes I did! SHOs are a luxury car whether you want to believe it or not. How many SHOs have you ever driven?...let alone rode in. Your bias for audi is getting quite annoying. You are one of those snobby audi owners that think just because a car doesnt have the name Audi plastered all over it, that it isnt worth your time. Well get your head out of you a**!!!! There are other cars out there that even OUTCLASS the audi's.......and the SHO IS one of them! :gtfo:

Guest Removed

cause they know if you own one of those, and take it in there for service ..well they just know you guzzle cock and will bend over and take it like cheap whore on high street.

Guest Removed
theirs always sho taurus's at pick n pull, ive seen them their the past 3 times i've gone, i saw one today and they had an sho motor siting on the floor in the main building, lol

that just tells me the parts for them are easyer to find

theirs always sho taurus's at pick n pull, ive seen them their the past 3 times i've gone, i saw one today and they had an sho motor siting on the floor in the main building, lol

WOW imagine that! A car that has been around for that last 20 years would have a few of them at A pick'npull!!! THATS AMAZING!!!!!! Anyway, what exactly is your point???? :asshole:

i used to want one until a friend of mine bought a 95 sho mtx when i had my 98 gtp...only thing i liked about the sho over the gtp was that they came in 5spd. replacement parts are hella expensive for the sho. and my gtp would whoop its ass every time. i ran 14.6 @ 95.95mph with just an ebay short ram cai, and 125k hard miles

i used to want one until a friend of mine bought a 95 sho mtx when i had my 98 gtp...only thing i liked about the sho over the gtp was that they came in 5spd. replacement parts are hella expensive for the sho. and my gtp would whoop its ass every time. i ran 14.6 @ 95.95mph with just an ebay short ram cai, and 125k hard miles

Since you obviously didn't read much of the thread, a well maintained 5 speed SHO should have pulled on that big time from a roll. They were high 14 second cars from a dig, but were exceptionally bad at dig racing. They would regularly beat cars that ran up to a second quicker in the 1/4 because they are high rpm, roll cars.

Some of the fastest 5 speed SHO's stock were around your times from a dig, let alone from a roll. GTP's on the highway are nothing special unless they have some serious work in them. Good old 4 speed spoiling the fun.

WOW imagine that! A car that has been around for that last 20 years would have a few of them at A pick'npull!!! THATS AMAZING!!!!!! Anyway, what exactly is your point???? :asshole:

Why don't you go on the shoforum and bitch about this too? Douche bag.

You do realize that everyone has a different opinion on what cars mean to them and what they value in a car right? I am not a fan of the new SHO and I will tell anyone that asks me about them.

If you read all of the new SHO threads on shoforum you will realize that indeed their are some HUGE SHO fan boys that are so blinded by the badge they are willing to look past the obvious problems with the new SHO. Just because I jokingly called them country bumpkins is no reason to go whine on shoforum about me and ask what you should do.......... The magazines even support my opinion calling it not a sports sedan, but a high powered cruiser. Also, Ford is already offering 1000 rebates on a car that isn't even on lots yet. So you tell me it isn't overpriced. Be realistic, a 45k Taurus........really?

I am curious, what WERE you going to do? Don't get all big and cocky on another forum when your the one acting like a bitch.

Calm down and take my posts as an opinion. Most of the people on the shoforum are fantastic people that would go out of their way to help you. However some are also blinded by the new SHO badge and saying ridiculous things and comparing them to cars completely out of its league.

Grow up.

First off when was I acting big and cocky? Secondly the new SHO starts at 38k NOT 45k. Anyway it doesnt really matter. I never said I was a HUGE fan of the new SHO, but at the same time im not going to sit on CR and rip apart a car im sure you NEVER even drove yet. I make an opinion after I have driven the vehicle, I dont go bitch about it because of what someone wrote in a magazine....

First off when was I acting big and cocky? Secondly the new SHO starts at 38k NOT 45k. Anyway it doesnt really matter. I never said I was a HUGE fan of the new SHO, but at the same time im not going to sit on CR and rip apart a car im sure you NEVER even drove yet. I make an opinion after I have driven the vehicle, I dont go bitch about it because of what someone wrote in a magazine....

Here, let me summarize the reviews for you:

1. Goes like hell in a straight line.

2. Has a pretty nice interior featuring recycled bottlecaps!

3. Sucks at everything else to the point of setting the brake pads on fire and boiling the fluid during aggresive driving.

Never saw that coming from Ford. lol

Still, an overall huge step forward for them.

Quotes from shoforum:

On a local board I frequent, ColumbusRacing.com to be exact, a thread was started about SHO's, and this is just one comment someone there decided to post about us. Just thought some of you would be a little upset...just as I am.

So...what should I do? Tell them what I think of them? Or continue to let them bash SHOforum just because they think they know everything?

Thanks guy for calming me down a bit. I had been arguing with a couple of the airheads over there that drive Audi's and love to come poop on any threads that arent about their overpriced German cars. It just got me going when they started ripping on SHOforum too. Ugh, I'll just keep my mouth shut for now....

You are absolutely right, none of those guys over there seem to give to SH**s about each other. At least SHOforum feels more like family to me and im waay more comfortable having a conversation with you guys. Over there you have to worry that anything you say will be followed by some smart**s comment from the next poster...Makes me appreciate this forum even more! YAY SHOFORUM!!

lol your acting like such a girl going over there and saying how pissed you were and asking what you should do to me and that you needed to be calmed down. What a joke man. Grow a pair of balls and a thicker skin. You won't get far in life if you are getting this bent out of shape about an internet car forum.

Please show me where I shit in threads that aren't about German cars. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I am a car enthusiast, all cars, but happen to prefer VAG cars. Feel free to look up my posts on shoforum and here to see exactly what kind of a poster I am. You will soon find out I am in no way how you describe me.

If you weren't such a girl you would notice that certain people on CR have very distinct personalities. People like to jokingly give people crap, ride people about breaking down, make fun of certain cars they don't like but in person they are very nice people. Just like any forum there are some people that are dicks, and some that are stupid, but that is universal. There are dozens of people that would try to help you in any way they can. I received help from a local shop on my intake and he didn't charge me a thing. There are also members that throw huge get togethers on their dime. There are vendors have give CR members discounts on products and labor too. So yeah, your right, nobody cares about anybody on here.

You got sand in your clit because I made fun of shoforum members a bit, but in defending shoforum, you made fun of CR. You are a hypocrite.

The new SHO is a cool car, and looks great in black, but to suck its nuts like MOST people on the shoforum are doing because of the badge is ridiculous. I was simply expressing my distaste for how shoforum has handled the arrival of the new SHO. Have an independent thought on the matter, don't be a sheep.

Go back to shoforum since you can't seem to hang with people who have their own opinions.......:gtfo: