voltage help

pontiacfreak142

It started the other night after i left my friends house. i startd the car turned on the headlights, only to be told that only one headlight was on (its a fairly new bulb. the same thing happend the night before only the light turned on after a few minutes.

But anyway, i pulled out of my friends drive way and start to take off but noticed the lights dim out then the car just jumped and took off. i got down to a stop sign and hit he breaks and lights dimmed out again and i noticed my volt gauge go down to about 9 volts, (normaly its about 15 volts). I put a new alternator on it yesterday and took it for a drive and it was fine (15-16 volts). after it sat for a while i went out again and it went back to the dropping when i hit the brakes. It also sat just above 13 volts now.

Then i messed with it again a little bit ago and the car acted like it had problems starting and when it would, it would sit at about 9-10 volts for 15 seconds then goes up 15-16 and stays. Any idea of what could cause this? The car never did this before i put the new thrust bearing in, so i already went back and checked some of the wires i knew had been messed with (the ground wire on the motor mount for one) but it still did the same thing. is it a bad battery? or are there some other grounds i should be checking for?

My s10 was doing this recently. I did the big 3 and it was still doing it. Bought a new alternator and it was still doing it. turns out the terminal post on the back of the new alternator was broke. was a bitch getting off because it was spinning. Got another new one in and it's been fine since.

Guest Removed
My s10 was doing this recently. I did the big 3 and it was still doing it. Bought a new alternator and it was still doing it. turns out the terminal post on the back of the new alternator was broke. was a bitch getting off because it was spinning. Got another new one in and it's been fine since.

you broke it :p