Buying a Stingray (Vette)

thorne

I'm curious what to look for on purchasing one of these cars. I'm going to look at a 1981 stingray this weekend.

Where do they rust?

What should they cost assuming non SHOW quality. its a project

What motor should be in it

What other things are known to fail.

Does anyone on here happen to know allot about stingrays and would go with me to take a look at it?

What motor will fit in it.

Spider webbing on the paint is always the usual.

The L81 motor is junk and makes no power.

Transmissions were usually a TH-350 (Turbo 350 3-speed in auto form)

Personally I wouldn't try to stuff a big block in it, but a stroked small block would do wonders in it. According to GM the car weighs 3,345, so you would lighten it up with a few aluminum pieces and what not. What are you looking to get out of it? Auto-X, drag car, cruising car?

It's not for me. Its for my wife. She really really likes them and she misses having a fun car.

She misses the monte and I looked for a GTP. She came home a few weeks ago with the location of a stingray and how much she liked it.

No I won't be truck bedding it. My car is truck bedded for a reason and I will be fixing up the paint soon. I'll also be posting a video clip that will really show why I did it here soon.

What I was thinking motor wise.

Eather Carbed 350

or

LS1

It would be a cruise car and what ever she wants to do honestly. I'm trying to figure out if its a descent car first and then I want to suprise her with it.

if that is what she wants go for it . but they are alittle ruff driving and kinda cheap made , as far as the motor goes build the 350 and u should be ok . usally the calipers are stuck but after new lines and calipers it should be ok .

Guest Removed

sbc..yes you can make 400hpon the cheap..if you know what your doing.

these are fiber glass..so rust is going to be a issue on everything else..

price calipers and rotors for it...they are bad about the calipers seizing up when they sit to much. hel the calipers will seize anyway.

Look at the frame rails where they start arching up over the rear.

No way to tell you what a "project" car should cost.

ALL parts are available through about a dozen on-line Vette sites. Expect front and rear bumper covers to be warped / cracked. You can make just about any SBC or BBC fit without many issues.

I don't personally like driving that year. You have 100' of hood, a tiny cockpit, and the biggest door entry ledge ever conceived by man.