1996 Cavalier Fuel pump swap?

Science Abuse

Anoyne done this? It's the most common US car ever, I figure some oen here has got to have done it. My brothers car need a pump, and the shop wants $700 for the job. Ebay's most expenstive OEM pump is $250 ($50 for new aftermarket), this job can't be too tough... can it?

You have to drop the tank and that is the "fuel pump assembly" which you do need. That is what like 80% of fuel pumps look like on all cars for awhile now.

I'm sure someone else will step in with more detail, but that is the jist of it at least.

Depending on the year/make/model, and how the shop priced the fuel pump I could see $300-$350 in labor, plus the part. Thats a solid 2 1/2 hours in labor.

Check with Maxton, or another chevrolet dealership, we have been buying more parts from the dealsership than ususal b/c their prices have been cheaper than NAPA/O'Reilley's etc... and we buy a ton from dealerships to begin with.

Guest Removed

what he said..dont put a cheap pump in it..you will be doing it again in 3-6 months.

delphi pump only..will cost you 250-350 depending... but worth it.

tank drop, hope its empty...

I've done fuel pumps before, just not on a cavy. I see ads for the pump and the pump assy, the assy being hyper expensive. The shop quoted $200 labor and $500 for the part. I'm not finding them anywhere for that much scratch.

Car will be traded off in under 3 months. ;)