97 Civic lx...no start

dre2013

having probs with my 97 civic..1.5L non-vtec..just had a timing belt and tensioner put on it along with new plugs. Car turns over, but wont start. my buddy thats working on it says it sounds like it is turning over faster than normal. he said he can smell fuel after cranking, and it also has spark. any ideas? i dont know anything at ALL about hondas. thanks guys Edited by dre2013

More information needed. Was the car running before the timing belt replacement? Did the old belt break?

whoops...no it wasnt running before belt was replaced...it was running, but had been sitting for about 3-4 months(needed brakelines,battery, and battery leads). i saw the car run the day he parked it. Old belt did not break but it had a little play in it

Does it sound like it wants to start, like will it start and die right away? Any smoke coming out the back? Any fluid leaks?

oh and fyi 96-00 had 1.6 liters

wont start at all just turns over, he said itll hiccup a little sometimes (kinda like it wants to start). no smoke, and no fluid leaks...and you're right i forgot, its the d16 i believe :o like i said i know nothing at all about hondas lol

Guest Removed
these are also bad about carbon build up on the back of the valves..keeping them hung open..but id say check the timing belt first, then run compression check

I would say it sounds like the timing is wrong may want to check your marks on the cam shaft and crank shaft pully w/ cylinder 1 on at TDC. Cam shaft pully has a spoke that says "up" on it for cyl 1 TDC then line up the marks more precisely.