Winter 09-10. Project Superlight

coltboostin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to stay under 2k in weight. You can grab a older bimmer like mine, gut it and get it close to 2200-2400#. Make 1000rwhp and be good to go. The axles are tough, come with a lsd and people are running low 10's on stock rears. You can pick up one for about 1500 with minimal rust. can squeeze a 26" tire in the rear with some fender rolling and can get them in a 2 or 4 door. :)

Are you trying to stay under 2k in weight. You can grab a older bimmer like mine, gut it and get it close to 2200-2400#. Make 1000rwhp and be good to go. The axles are tough, come with a lsd and people are running low 10's on stock rears. You can pick up one for about 1500 with minimal rust. can squeeze a 26" tire in the rear with some fender rolling and can get them in a 2 or 4 door. :)

1000rwhp in any motor, on a budjet, is near impossible. ( A motor capable of that stock is NOT a budjet motor!)

And again, if its not less than 2080, its no better than a Colt to me. and Im trying to go lighter than the Colt was, and make more power

didnt you buy that civic?

rwd it with a 4g

I just sold a Civic....

1000rwhp in any motor, on a budjet, is near impossible. ( A motor capable of that stock is NOT a budjet motor!)

And again, if its not less than 2080, its no better than a Colt to me. and Im trying to go lighter than the Colt was, and make more power

I just sold a Civic....

What about oldschool corolla's or rx2 or rx3's? I know that they are light but not sure how much.

Tube chassis Colt?

What about an MR2, I think they may be a little too heavy (2,800 pounds) it would be hard to cut out that much weight. Sounds like you need some sort of kit car to really hit your weight goals. A yugo maybe...but then the $$$ side come into it. Hummm, I'm trying to find a list of the lightest weighing cars but no lock so far.

What about oldschool corolla's or rx2 or rx3's? I know that they are light but not sure how much.

Good luck finding an RX2 or RX3 around here that isn't rusted, or cheap. There was one for sale, that I sadly missed out on :(

FA/FB? They're noticably lighter. I wouldn't see any trouble getting one to the 2K mark.

FB/SA's are easy to find, but 75-80% are junk anymore. Even in top condition, they're pretty cheap. The only downside is a limited aftermarket compared to the FC/FD. In SA/FB's, look for rusted bins, and clogged weepholes.

AWD ultralite? chassis and driveline around 1500lbs w/ RWD set up

old school mini

Porsche 914....plenty of room underneath, the view from up top is misleading. 305 V8 swap is popular, subaru boxer is popular with these.

Oldschool Bug

Tube chassis Colt?

What about an MR2, I think they may be a little too heavy (2,800 pounds) it would be hard to cut out that much weight. Sounds like you need some sort of kit car to really hit your weight goals. A yugo maybe...but then the $$$ side come into it. Hummm, I'm trying to find a list of the lightest weighing cars but no lock so far.

The MKI MR2 would be your best bet, the MKII's like mine are heavy.

Good luck finding an RX2 or RX3 around here that isn't rusted, or cheap. There was one for sale, that I sadly missed out on :(

Truth!

I like the suggestions though guys-but remember the main goal here is 1000hp per ton. Seems nearly unachievable on a budget.

The best option IMO so far seems to be a CRX

1) Is under Colt weight (1750-1900 depending on year)

2) Good aftermarket for brakes/suspension/chassis

3) Room for action int he front or the rear

Only issue is they are a little hard to find for cheap. Remember, I picked up my 2 Door 3g Colt for $200-and drove it home (trans was bad though)

1st gen Neon?

Haha, I tried, and it never worked out. It it would be damn hard to make the 1000hp per ton goal.

I had a 1997 Plymouth Neon that I put a 2.4L turbo engine from the Dodge Stratus made in Mexico. I built it up a bit and I figured I was making close to 320hp before I sold it. I could easily take a stock SRT-4 no problem thanks to the weight difference. I would love to get another 1st gen and do it all over again.

Haha, I tried, and it never worked out. It it would be damn hard to make the 1000hp per ton goal.

I had a 1997 Plymouth Neon that I put a 2.4L turbo engine from the Dodge Stratus made in Mexico. I built it up a bit and I figured I was making close to 320hp before I sold it. I could easily take a stock SRT-4 no problem thanks to the weight difference. I would love to get another 1st gen and do it all over again.

my buddy did the same thing.2 door r/t 2.4 block outta a stratus put the srt turbo on it an thing FLYSSSSS

What about kicking it old-school (Puerto Rican style) and doing a Mazda R100. They're real popular in PR because they're cheap, plentiful (there, not so much here though), light and RWD. A guy I used to work with brought one home to Ohio that ran low 10's on a very mild turbo rotary engine. Not sure how hard they are to find here though.

Edit: I just looked up the weight. They're right at 2000 lbs dry. I would think you could easily hack another few hundred pounds off, maybe more if there's room in the budget for fiberglass parts.

I have a 1980 corolla I can sell you that would be perfect for somethin like this :D.. weighs around 1700lbs, ford 8 inch can go in by just relocating spring perches, and it's not uncommon to swap a big v8 into them no problem, so you know there's plenty of room to work with.

i've seen these with LSx engines. problem solved.

http://adrianstomcat.co.uk/Images/Beetles/SandRail01-02.JPG

yea if you were burt reynolds in the 80s.... step up to newwww style... oh an these weght NOTHING an everyone swaps in built lsx;s built subies. TT northstar v8s. ... oh an can be made street legal as well but umm wheeliing will be an issue on the street haha

http://www.duneguide.com/images/GW2005Buckshot-8.jpg