Gateway FX8040

ODoyle

Im having some issues finding an 130w passive heat sink for this computer. Its a BTX form factor and Gateway wont help me do anything because the machine is out of warranty. Any helpfull ideas would be appreciated.Im almost to the point where im going to sell it how I bought it and build something around the parts that I do have.

You want to put a passive heat sink on a quad core?

Its an LGA775 board,Gateway has proprietary mounting points on the board and case. Trust me if I could go different I would,with the mounting points being more rectangle than square I dont have a choice but to use gateways OE solution. I wanted to use something similar to this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4244280&CatId=1588 but the way the hold downs are posistioned I cannot securely fasten it to the mobo.

The way it hooks to the board is different too.Im not sure a regular case fan is able to be hooked up in this case.

The heatsink will attach' date='thats not the issue. There are no ports to hook up the fans.[/quote']

WHO CARES

1. Fans come in all shapes and sizes and zip ties are plentiful.

2. Get a molex plug off of an old device or buy one and wire up the fan(s) accordingly.

3. Profit.

:cool: