1997 GTP ABS Light Problems

Drewhop

So here is little background behind the car. It has 167k miles on it. Since I bought the car I have only put about 5k miles on it. When I got the car the check tire pressure light had been on. No big deal it did not affect anything so I did not worry about it.

I just replaced both front wheel hubs on the car because they needed replaced. After I replaced the wheel hubs the tire pressure light turned itself off. This did not make sense to me.

Now after I start the car up no idiot lights are on. I drive the car about half mile abs light will pop on. When abs light pops on low tire pressure light pops on. I have a scanner at work I will check for a code next time it pops on but. Also just in case my tire pressure was low on the driver side rear tire. I made sure all tires are inflated and test drove car again did same thing.

My question is could I have got a bad replacement wheel hub. Or are these systems not connected at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Removed
You do know you can reset the tire pressure light by pressing the button underneath the dash, right?

Bad wheel bearing perhaps, or the sensor is just messing up?

sounds like he just replaced the bearings..wiring issue?

sounds like he just replaced the bearings..wiring issue?

I am getting the tires balanced right now. When I drive the car back I hope the light will pop on again so I can scan it and then post up what code it is throwing.

Is it normal for ABS lights to shut themselves off. I know almost all engine codes except for 02 sensor codes have to be cleared.

I've had a few new hub assy's I have installed have defective (non functioning) ABS sensors in them. the bearing portion was fine, but the ABS light would pop on.. so a defective Hub assy, even tho new is posible.

scan it, clear it, drive it for the abs light to pop on again, and then rescan it. that way you'll know whats going on, might even want to drive the car with the scanner conected. My scanner i can read all 4 wheel speeds and see if there is a issue i can see.

Guest Removed
I've had a few new hub assy's I have installed have defective (non functioning) ABS sensors in them. the bearing portion was fine, but the ABS light would pop on.. so a defective Hub assy, even tho new is posible.

scan it, clear it, drive it for the abs light to pop on again, and then rescan it. that way you'll know whats going on, might even want to drive the car with the scanner conected. My scanner i can read all 4 wheel speeds and see if there is a issue i can see.

i have seen that with autozone hubs..more then anything...

So the code it threw is

C1232 LF Wheel SPD CKT Short to GRND/BATT

We checked the wiring and it seemed to be ok.

So I am assuming my brand new wheel hub is bad.

Time to get another one on the way.

Guest Removed

well since you have a good scan tool. watch the freeze frame data from when it trips the code...should give you all the wheel speeds etc..

or go drive it and watch the wheel speeds on the scan tool(let someone else drive) and see if and how bad it varies from the others

but more then likely you have a faulty hub.

GearHead, funny enough, the defective hubs have all been from our Local Car Quest here at Buckeye Lake.

It is to the point that when i use there hubs, i hook up my multi meter and test it before i even install one..:(

Guest Removed
GearHead, funny enough, the defective hubs have all been from our Local Car Quest here at Buckeye Lake.

It is to the point that when i use there hubs, i hook up my multi meter and test it before i even install one..:(

ever try federated hubs? i havent had a issue with any of them yet...

they should be up your way. the main warehouse in up in cleveland area. and there is some good prices on them at that

I was planning on doing the wheel hub on Saturday after I get off work. Went to get a new tire put on the car yesterday had a busted belt. Drove car entire day yesterday the light did not kick on again. The tire that had the busted belt was the wheel hub that was throwing the code. I have to drive down to Cbus tonight I am going to see if it throws the code again. After I take it on a longer drive.