To trade in or not?

Sparky

Im getting really tired of all the shit thats popped up with my car. I dont have a lot of time right now to fix it and I probably wont til the end of the next full school year. My clutch is on the way out and its going to be $800 dollars in parts not to mention the weeks itll be on jack stands. Im really just not motivated to deal with it.

So with that said Ive been looking around at options on what I could trade it in on.

In my price range (close to 15k) with low miles Ive seen a few Rabbits for sale. (one with 7k miles). I like the rabbits because they look decent and I could swap the wheels with what Ive already got. Features also seem pretty nice.

I want something that is either somewhat sporty, or somewhat luxurious but either way it has to be reliable and it has to be lower miles so I can drive it for a few years.

I love my car, when its not self destructing but I think Im about done with it.

I understand the time issue and the dislike of fixing anything. I'm all about keeping it simple and running too. However, if you own your car out-right, get one of the many skilled guys here to fix it and pay a little more to save yourself the time. I'd consider that well worth it. Way cheaper than a car payment that will be with you for years.

VW's are cool. I'm biased the other way, but you seem to dig the German stuff. I've never owned one but am enjoying the MS3.

Im getting really tired of all the shit thats popped up with my car. I dont have a lot of time right now to fix it and I probably wont til the end of the next full school year. My clutch is on the way out and its going to be $800 dollars in parts not to mention the weeks itll be on jack stands. Im really just not motivated to deal with it.

So with that said Ive been looking around at options on what I could trade it in on.

In my price range (close to 15k) with low miles Ive seen a few Rabbits for sale. (one with 7k miles). I like the rabbits because they look decent and I could swap the wheels with what Ive already got. Features also seem pretty nice.

I want something that is either somewhat sporty, or somewhat luxurious but either way it has to be reliable and it has to be lower miles so I can drive it for a few years.

ummm im sorry but i dont see any thign sport or luxurious about a vw rabbit....

fix it an sell it in a few months

It is cheaper to fix your car and keep it running, then paying a monthly car payment for the next XX Months.

;)

KillJoy

Thats what I ment. If you have the money to buy a new car, you can fix the one you have now. At least you know what you have now rather then finding out what the new car has later on on the road.

ummm im sorry but i dont see any thign sport or luxurious about a vw rabbit....

fix it an sell it in a few months

Also found a 40k mi GTI for same price. Thats what really got me thinkin trade in.

If I fix it I wont be selling it anytime soon. The price to do the job right with trans mounts coumes out to be 800+ shipping.

Thats what I ment. If you have the money to buy a new car, you can fix the one you have now. At least you know what you have now rather then finding out what the new car has later on on the road.

I dont have the money for a new car. I can make the payments and my down payment is my trade in. I do know what I have and thats why Im thinkin about trading it in lol.

In the end Ill prolly keep the POS and continue to empty and funds I make to keep it running.

Also found a 40k mi GTI for same price. Thats what really got me thinkin trade in.

If I fix it I wont be selling it anytime soon. The price to do the job right with trans mounts coumes out to be 800+ shipping.

Uhhh.... a $15,000 car is ~ $300 / month for 5 Years.

That is only 3 months worth of payments THEN YOU ARE DONE!

:eek:

KillJoy

PS - Fix your car..... bank the rest. ;)

First of all, your wheels wont work for a Rabbit/GTI. The are 5x112, however the offset is too low and it will look ghetto as fuck, skateboard style. Sell them and start over.

I have had a 2006 GTI DSG, a 2008 Rabbit 5 speed and now a 2009 GTI 6 speed. I have liked them all. The rabbits are such a good deal right now, you can find CPO 2008's for about 12k, and throw on some wheels and coilovers for 2k and be set for 75k miles of warranty. However coming from the GTI, the Rabbit was too big of a step down, so I imagine you will feel the same way coming from the S4.

I would think long and hard about this decision. The B5 S4s are CLASSIC Audi. They will age fantasticly and still look good in 20 years. I would not get rid of it personally, fix it up, and keep it running good until you graduate.

Ask me anything you want about the GTIs/Rabbits. I personally think they are the best looking hatch out there.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/mkvaaron/ugkeskingti2.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/mkvaaron/redvotexgti.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt197/mkvaaron/blackrabbitwithvotexandrs4s.jpg

What is the dead hooker capacity on a stock Rabbit?

2.5.......I usually stick to twins so there is a bit of room for the shovel and rope though.

I really do love the new GTI's. But like I said, ill prolly just end up keeping the car and fixing it. Im already through 3/4 of the big fixes after the clutch is done.

Good to hear. You would be happy in the GTI, but I would keep the S4.