Love my Palm Pre

sol740

So I've had my Palm Pre for just about a month now, switched to it from my Winmo PPC-6800. Having learned awhile back that the Pre was going to utilize an OS that was framework for a relatively basic Linux OS piqued my interest early on, since I do so love the tux.

First thing I noticed was that the UI was snappy, and intuitive. That's a big plus coming from winmo 6. Even with updates such as Touchflo, and even some shell replacements no matter how prettied up the front end was, the end result was always the same old, boring winmo apps. Regardless of how ugly the UI was though, the apps worked and that's the most important thing. My main concern with switching from a phone I was so comfortable with to a brand new platform was whether or not Palm or the community would have the apps available that I most needed. So after activating my phone and having the Sprint rep move my contact list over from the 6800, I got home and immediately starting digging up what apps, Palm approved or homebrew, were available.

The app store portal built into the phone is still technically in Beta, and the app store itself is pretty barren, minus a few standout apps (Pandora, NFL, Nascar if you like that crap, Fandango,Tweed), this was expected as the SDK was just released publicly very recently. In time the apps will be pouring in as quickly as Palm can get them approved.

Luckily this is Linux after all, and some very handy geeks have already accessed the underlying linux platform, and given step by step instructions on how to do so via wiki. Familiarity with the standard linux terminal is a good idea, though not necessarily a must, you can copy and paste most of the commands so if you can read and follow directions you can unlock the hidden functionality of the device.

One of these hidden functionalities is my most needed by far, tethering my device to my laptop. I hate having to cruise for wifi hotspots when I'm out and about, or god forbid, pay for wifi access from hotels or coffee shops when they are being dicks, so having USB, BT, or WIFI tethering is a must. Thankfully as root you can install such an app, and be on your marry way. Being root also allows the installation of other, as of yet, unapproved software from various homebrew sources, some very useful things such as an LED flashlight, stopwatch, UI replacements, wallpaper shufflers, and yada yada yada.

All of this works seamlessly with the already gorgeous webOS interface. Multitasking is a breeze, and I've had six or so apps running together with no issues other than some expected slowdown. Listening to Pandora Radio, while surfing the web, updating my tasks, having the photo app open, and answering a call without having to close anything down is a really refreshing. Also should I need to, closing an app couldn't be any easier, just press the minimize button, and flick the "card" away. Anyways, I fucking dig it. Anybody else busy hacking away at this thing ?

Sprint is the carrier for now, but it does work on verizon with a little work. I've read that a GSM version is in the works but you know how that goes. I'm just glad that sprint has a device with a capacitive, multitouch screen.