99 civic ex msd help needed!! ASAP

allblack325i

take a test light to the coil wires...one will be hot all the time, the other will pulse a ground signal when the engine is being cranked.

ok well couldnt find a test light anywhere! sad I know...

Anyways with a volt meter we found it's getting continuity...(sp?)

and when I take a spark plug out and put it on the plug wire and see if I am getting spark it is only putting out a weak spark but only when I start to crank on it not the entire time the engine is turning over. Also the spark rather then being blue is a red color....

Can you possibly tell me what year civic's a dizzy would work on my car? like do all d series dizzy's work? or just 96-00 ex's?

not it will have to be a odb2 years

so i think 96-00 would be correct...

maybe josh has one

Josh? Josh who?.....

And thanks for the advice. I am done asking questions... if the dizzy doesn't fix it I'm done with it altogether! I guess the next thing would be trying to figure out a fair price for a non running car with everything that's done to it and as low milage as it has.....

Thanks man..

Is the rotor button tight? The little screw that holds it on is known to rattle loose and cause the car to attempt to start but wont let it fire. If the rotor button is good then lets move on

You need a dizzy from 96-00 EX

Firing order is 1342, #1 on the cap is bottom closest to firewall, 3 is directly above it, 4 is top right, 2 is bottom right. If thats correct then lets move on

Check the coil, alot of times they will go out with no warning. Take off the MSD setup and go back to oem.

One other question, when you crank the car over both the rotor button and cam gear are moving correct? Could've snapped t belt..

Is the rotor button tight? The little screw that holds it on is known to rattle loose and cause the car to attempt to start but wont let it fire. If the rotor button is good then lets move on

You need a dizzy from 96-00 EX

Firing order is 1342, #1 on the cap is bottom closest to firewall, 3 is directly above it, 4 is top right, 2 is bottom right. If thats correct then lets move on

Check the coil, alot of times they will go out with no warning. Take off the MSD setup and go back to oem.

One other question, when you crank the car over both the rotor button and cam gear are moving correct? Could've snapped t belt..

Yes the rotor button and cam gear are in fact both moving. Timing belt is still nice and tight as it should be too. (Giggity)

How do i convert my ditributor back to a stock one? I am really over the whole MSD thing lol

as for the rotor button I think I tightened it up too much when i put the new one on cause now it wont come back off!:o

as far as the firing order on the valve cover end... how does that go across left to right?

On the valve cover#1 is the longest wire and furthest away from dizzy. So if your standing in front of car and looking down at cover the order is going to be

4 3 2 1

And on dizzy if your on pass side looking at it, order will be

3 4

1 2

I just talked to my dad and he said when he had MSD on his CRX it kept frying caps/rotors

On the valve cover#1 is the longest wire and furthest away from dizzy. So if your standing in front of car and looking down at cover the order is going to be

4 3 2 1

And on dizzy if your on pass side looking at it, order will be

3 4

1 2

I just talked to my dad and he said when he had MSD on his CRX it kept frying caps/rotors

well, after switching things around and doing things the way i am being told to I am now getting a MUCH stronger spark now. So I'm lead to belive the coil may in fact be good.

But now I'm really starting to think it could be a timing issue.... It has an AEM True time timing gear. set at 0. And it has a VAFC hooked up to everything. (Could that have anything to do with this?) Also measure top dead center at the #1 cylinder and had the cap off the rotor and the button isn't facing at the where the #1 cylinder is... I was always told when at T.D.C. the rotor button should be at 1 on the dizzy.

I dont have much money so if I dont need that new dizzy then I dont wanna HAVE to buy it. BUT if I do need it I wont be able to make the trip now till mid week this week....

How do I check to see if the coil is good or not? It's getting spark so it should eb good right?

and everyone is telling me something different about the firing order... your way and this way seem to be the most popular...

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-3967.htm