Computer Error Problem

Drewhop

So my lil bro bought a new comp as a second computer and we keep getting random error messages.

Here are the parts he used.

Motherboard=GEFORCE6100pm-m2

Processor=AMD Atholon 5200 X2 64 2.7 Dual Core

Harddrive=He had tried two of them one was a Maxtor ata/100 300 GB Hard drive

Other was a older 140 Gig we pulled out of a junk computer. Both give the same error messages

The error messages we keep getting are

Setupdd.sys

ACPI.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I have looked up each code and all of them relate to some type of hardware problem. Either incompatibility or Malfunction. Everytime we restart it gives a different code.

All of these messages occur when trying to write information to the hard drive it seems. When trying to install windows the farthest we have made it is deleting partition getting ready for fresh install on the older hard drive we pulled out.

Any help would be great cause I am lost on this one.

What operating system are you using?

What type of RAM are you using?

If you tried two different hard drives and neither work, it's better odds that something else is wrong rather than having two non-working HD's. You could always try one or both in your other computer to verify they function correctly.

I'm assuming your bro bought these parts separately to build the computer? If so, check the RAM and make sure it's compatible with the motherboard.

-Kevin

Edit: Appears people who got an error involving setupdd.sys had luck just by removing and reinstalling their RAM. Try that, making sure the RAM is installed and seated properly. If that doesn't work, most likely faulty or incompatible RAM.

What operating system are you using?

What type of RAM are you using?

-Kevin

Edit: Appears people who got an error involving setupdd.sys had luck just by removing and reinstalling their RAM. Try that, making sure the RAM is installed and seated properly. If that doesn't work, most likely faulty or incompatible RAM.

The ram/motherboard/ram was a combo package all were brand new. I am started to think that the ram may be the problem. I pulled the ram. Reseated it and started computer up. Now I am getting a error that says

CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded.

I am using windows xp.

Going to pull ram and post what ram is in a minute

Off to try a few more things. Any more advice would be appreciated

CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded.

Could very well be a RAM issue. There are a few things you can try prior to runnin out and purchasing new RAM (luckily it's inexpensive anyways).

This error can also refer to the battery on the motherboard, so the first and simplest thing you can try is to remove and reinsert the CMOS battery. Doesn't always work, but if it does, it's quick and painless.

If that doesn't work, enter the BIOS and load the failsafe defaults. Also, try changing the date, time, etc. in the bios and rebooting.

Perform each of these steps one a time for control purposes. If none of that works, you can try this procedure I copied from another forum:

"What you need is to perform an extended CMOS clearing procedure that is :

Unplug the power cord from the PSU

Pop out the battery

Switch jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3

Press in and hold on the case power button for 30 seconds

Wait 15 minutes

Reinsert battery

Switch jumper to pins 1-2

Plug in the power cord

Boot

You will probably get the same message

Go into the Set up, do what you want to do (date, time…)

Save and exit

Boot should be fixed"

If you've tried all of these options and it's still giving the same error, go pick up a couple new sticks of RAM and try your luck with those.

-Kevin

CMOS Checksum... DAMN that sounds familar... I think its your mobo. I'm like 95% positive thats what kept happening when my mobo was going out... Its Mobo or ram. RAM is so cheap now days anyways, i was at microcenter last week and they had 4gigs of kingston pc6400 for 37$. Only know this because my ram shat out last week and i went and picked some up.

CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded means the checksum failed and it loaded default settings. I've seen this happen 3 times before. First set the BIOS to load defaults. I've had this error when I was overclocking in BIOS and turned on the wrong setting. If that doesn't work it could be the battery. Go buy a new one make sure it works. Use a voltmeter and make sure it isn't dead. A dead battery gives this error. Otherwise it could be your RAM. If you are lucky enough to have more then one stick of RAM remove at least 1 chip. See if this works. If not remove 2. Keep removing and swapping the chips until you have had at least 1 of every stick installed separately.

If none of this works I would start troubleshooting the motherboard.