Trans swap

brent1976

Has anyone here swapped from a 4l60e to a 4l80e. I'm sick of breaking these things, so I'm get an 80e built right now, it should be here in a week or two. I've studied up, and it doesn't look that hard, just wondering if anyone has been through it.

I've been looking into this as well, but I haven't done it. Companies liek Speartech make a wiring harness conversion, and besides a different convertor, tranny crossmember/mount, and dipstick from what I understand that copying the trans section out of an appropriate tune. There are two speed sensors on the 4L80 so one of them doesn't get used, but so long as you get appropriate year of tranny they bolt right up. Thats what I thought of off the top of my head, I'd love to know what all you run into so you should do a bunch of pics while you're doing the swap. I'd also be willing to help if you'd like as this interests me.

I've been looking into this as well, but I haven't done it. Companies liek Speartech make a wiring harness conversion, and besides a different convertor, tranny crossmember/mount, and dipstick from what I understand that copying the trans section out of an appropriate tune. There are two speed sensors on the 4L80 so one of them doesn't get used, but so long as you get appropriate year of tranny they bolt right up. Thats what I thought of off the top of my head, I'd love to know what all you run into so you should do a bunch of pics while you're doing the swap. I'd also be willing to help if you'd like as this interests me.

On the wiring, the conversion harness is a rip off. You move one wire on the 60e harness, delete another one, and wire an extra speed sensor into the pcm. The crossmember needs a piece welded to the back to extend it a couple of inches. My truck is 4x4 so I have to do some stuff the the transfer case.

Here is an awsome write up for a truck, but it looks much easier for a 2wd.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424904

I'd say ok the help, but I live in Zanesville, about 40 miles east of you.

4WD has a different transfer case due to the size of the output shaft. maybe its who ever is building your transmissions because mark and jason both had 4L60's and ran in the 9 with them. maybe you should talk to RPM Transmission.

On the wiring, the conversion harness is a rip off. You move one wire on the 60e harness, delete another one, and wire an extra speed sensor into the pcm. The crossmember needs a piece welded to the back to extend it a couple of inches. My truck is 4x4 so I have to do some stuff the the transfer case.

Here is an awsome write up for a truck, but it looks much easier for a 2wd.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424904

I'd say ok the help, but I live in Zanesville, about 40 miles east of you.

I haven't really looked into the pinout of the harness, but that's good to know. Obviously I haven't looked into the 4WD aspect of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is differences there.

Zanesville doesn't bother me, so the offer stands if you need a hand.

AJ, what I find interesting about you justifying the 4L60 is that Mark and Jason had those trannys gone through quite a bit, and now Mark is running a 4L80. Besides we're talking about a much heavier vehicle.

4WD has a different transfer case due to the size of the output shaft. maybe its who ever is building your transmissions because mark and jason both had 4L60's and ran in the 9 with them. maybe you should talk to RPM Transmission.

I ordered an input gear for the transfer case the has the 32 spline for the output shaft. I think it's because my truck is so fat, 5000lbs+. I don't blame the builder(in sig), plus I'm getting a supercharger that will definatly be harder on it later than I am now. Call it insurance.

AJ, what I find interesting about you justifying the 4L60 is that Mark and Jason had those trannys gone through quite a bit, and now Mark is running a 4L80. Besides we're talking about a much heavier vehicle.

he is also making more power this year, as if the 1300 last year wasn't enough.

i don't think the weight issue is a good arguement though first launching, the load on both would be high one because of weight and the other because of power. then there would be acceleration force in the other 3 gears. in the end it would prolly all be about the same. then again people still debate that the turbo 400 is a better transmission that the TH350 even though both can be built to handle the power just like the 60E and 80E.

Mine is an flt level 5, that I paid extra for the billet shafts, and all the stuff that they are putting their level 7 that they just started making. It is definatly not a weak built transmission.

5000lbs+4x4+heavy right foot. I had some tuning problems in the spring, but they are fixed now, I'm guessing it runs low 13's, not crazy fast for most, but damn good for a truck. I don't want to get in a pissing match, the 80e should take whatever I can throw at it, so thats what I'm putting in it.

I haven't really looked into the pinout of the harness, but that's good to know. Obviously I haven't looked into the 4WD aspect of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is differences there.

Zanesville doesn't bother me, so the offer stands if you need a hand.

Thanks for the offer, if I need a hand I'll take you up on it. It won't be bad though, I have the use of a lift, and a full mechanics/body shop w/ any tool you can think of. Makes working on cars kind of nice.:cool:

Here's my shopping list:

Trans, tcc, input gear for transfer case, speed sensor plug w/ wire/pcm pins, shifter cable bracket, bellhousing cover, heat shield, dip stick w/ tube, trans cooler lines, longer front ds from 3/4 ton, cut down rear ds.