HVAC Guys

Guest Hal

I wondered if any of you guys had an tips at getting the upstairs of my house to cool better. My master bedroom is like 80 degrees while my downstairs is sitting at 70. It just never seems to get any cooler even if I just keep the A/C on. I don't know if maybe there's something wrong with my unit or not, I don't know a thing about HVAC.

I have a 4'x4' ceiling fan in my upstairs hallway. I flip a switch, the louvers open and it instantly cools everything down with or without the ac on. Its varying speed. Its so strong it will pull a dryer sheet off the dryer in the basement up the basement steps then upstairs again.

Sorry to hear HAL :)

Might try talking to my father about it. He knows HVAC.

Hahha, I knew someone would quote that!

I'll have to stop by and talk to him. I may try to stop by and see you at the dyno day for a bit too.

Dont most systems have restrictors in them that can be adjusted for more even heating and cooling? I know my house does. In the main ducting there are levers that you can turn that go to each room to control the airflow. I used to have one of the rooms we didnt used blocked off so we werent wasting energy going to that room.

Hot air rises, cool air sinks. If there is heat in your house, it's going to end up upstairs. When your unit is in your basement, it's got to work that much harder to get to the second floor. The air vents on both floors have adjustments for how open or closed they are, and it's just a matter of pressure balancing. Close the first floor vents slightly, and maybe even a fair amount if you're ever cold in the areas near them. As was said the basement is also almost always over-cooled, so close or nearly close all those vents.

I know somebody else kind of suggested this, but I figured I'd explain it a bit better. I intern for a large building controls company that deals heavily with hvac, so I'm exposed to it a lot. In larger buildings this process is called "air balancing" and is pretty time consuming and complex.

Edit: You can also close or nearly close vents in rooms that generally aren't used or have the door closed, and check that none of your vents are blocked by furniture or anything.