WTB: handgun

Bam

Looking for a handgun, no real preference just nothing huge. Mainly for home defense and some target practice. Not looking to spend more than $300.

No .22 calibers either

thanks

Vance's has Police trade in Beretta Model 96D 40 calibers for $259 and Glock 22 40 calibers for $369

I'm going to pick up one of the Beretta's this weekend

Thanks Mark, any reason why the beretta over the glock? Just curious, I know nothing about either.

Vance's has Police trade in Beretta Model 96D 40 calibers for $259 and Glock 22 40 calibers for $369

I'm going to pick up one of the Beretta's this weekend

They didn't happen to have any police trade Glock 17 did they?

High Capacity

As in like 15 rounds or something?

Also, anyone know anything about the Springfield XD? I'm just doing some research and reading some good reviews on it. But there are quite a few different barrel length options, how much of a difference does a 3"/4"/5" barrell make?

It looks like the 3" is subcompact and too small for me, but the 4" and 5" barrels seem ok, and offer 16rd mags.

Anyone have a recommendation for caliber for home defense? Or which has the least recoil I guess?

In my research it appears people say revolvers are best because they are more reliable, but I don't like them because they only have like a 5 round capacity, whereas like the glock can have up to 17rounds, I mean damn, big freakin difference if your in trouble.

People normally shoot a revolver better then a double action gun. I have one that happens to hold 7 rounds so that is plenty imo. Honestly if it is just for home defense I suggest a shotgun. Anything bullet bigger then 22LR shot inside a house has a chance to fly out of the house and into neighbors. Having hollow point bullets will not over penetrate a body but that is only if you hit them and not miss.

Shotgun = home defense

People normally shoot a revolver better then a double action gun. I have one that happens to hold 7 rounds so that is plenty imo. Honestly if it is just for home defense I suggest a shotgun. Anything bullet bigger then 22LR shot inside a house has a chance to fly out of the house and into neighbors. Having hollow point bullets will not over penetrate a body but that is only if you hit them and not miss.

Shotgun = home defense

What revolver do you have if you don't mind sharing?

I want a handgun so that I can go to the range and shoot as well.

I initially wanted a shotgun but the size of it, storing/hiding it, and the layout of my house aren't really helpful in terms of a shotgun.

So I may pick up a shotgun as well, but right now I am looking for a handgun.

Shot gun is the best home defense weapon, but if you're dead set on getting a handgun without a lot of kick I would suggest a 9mm with a 4.5 to 5.5in barrel (if you're not going to CCW it).. The smaller the frame the more recoil you'll feel. The 40S&W will have a little more stopping power. My Glock 22 shots great, but I always seem to go back to my Ruger P89 when I'm just plinking. Less kick, cheaper bullets and just as reliable and accurate as the Glock... Stay away from the Saturday night specials or disposable guns.. If you go with a good name brand you're more than likely going to get at least what you paid for it when you go to sell it. You get what you pay for.

I would also suggest that you go to blackwing or Powder room and rent a couple different guns to get the feel for the caliber you want.

what about a regular s&w 9mm poly frame? What's the big differences between the non m&p and m&p?

Pretty much the only S&W 9mm with a poly frame will be the Sigma series and the M&P. The big draw back with the Sigma's are they have a very heavy trigger pull. There are ways to fix that, but most people just sell them and end up going with something better. The M&P series are awsome guns. Very similar to the Sigma series but they don't have the killer trigger pull.

Pretty much the only S&W 9mm with a poly frame will be the Sigma series and the M&P. The big draw back with the Sigma's are they have a very heavy trigger pull. There are ways to fix that, but most people just sell them and end up going with something better. The M&P series are awsome guns. Very similar to the Sigma series but they don't have the killer trigger pull.

thanks for that info, there is a guy selling one on here for $275 w/ case/2 15rd mags, etc, that's only a few months old for $275, its a sigma, though. Maybe he'd let me test shoot it to feel the trigger, is it deadly heavy or what?

A sigma isn't a bad home defense firearm. They are cheap and rather reliable. They don't make very good CCW guns though. They are a bit bulkier and too heavy for my liking.

Try looking throw the FS ads on ohioccwforums.org. I've bought guns there before for good deals.

The longer the barrel the less recoil and better accuracy the gun will have. The SF XD's are good guns, but most are a bit out of your price range unless you find a super good deal.

thanks for that info, there is a guy selling one on here for $275 w/ case/2 15rd mags, etc, that's only a few months old for $275, its a sigma, though. Maybe he'd let me test shoot it to feel the trigger, is it deadly heavy or what?

I bought my old Sigam new for $300 a few years back and it comes with the case and 2 15rd mags. First shot is about 12-15lbs and then it goes down to 8lbs. I actually sold my Sigma 9mm to someone on here last year for $200, so....

What revolver do you have if you don't mind sharing?

I want a handgun so that I can go to the range and shoot as well.

I initially wanted a shotgun but the size of it, storing/hiding it, and the layout of my house aren't really helpful in terms of a shotgun.

So I may pick up a shotgun as well, but right now I am looking for a handgun.

S&W Model 686 6" barrel 7 shot. Click my name and go into my pictures if you want to see it.

<-----

Looking for a handgun, no real preference just nothing huge. Mainly for home defense and some target practice. Not looking to spend more than $300.

No .22 calibers either

thanks

Not to be an ass, but if you are serious about possibly using this to save your life, you might want to save a few more dollars. Some glocks can be had for that, but I'm honestly shocked if you can pick one up that cheap. Cheapest I've ever sold one of my Glock 23's, is $425. The $300 range would pick you up a nice Mossberg 500, or a used Remington 870 though. Just saying, $300 is a bit low on something that may save your life or your family's life.

Thanks Scotty, I just put $300 down as a starting point, because I didn't want people coming here thinking I wanted to drop a grand on a super fancy pistol.

I'm willing to pay for a quality piece, but honestly I'm so new to this that I'm not sure what's good and what isn't. I have been doing quite a bit of research in the past week though.

It seems no firearm is without its faults, so it's not an easy answer, though some are better than others.

I will check into a glock 21 and moss 590 mariner, thanks for the suggestions.

and bump, still looking for something