do out of state tickets put points on your license?

88lx5oh

Google them, I think they run just over $100.

The points from Kentucky are applied to your Ohio license, as if you received the ticket in Ohio. Taking a course here will remove them. Make sure you show the certificate from the class to your insurance company as well.

If its a speeding ticket I think you can pay a lawyer to get it reduced to something that wont affect your Insurance and wont put points on your liscense.

yeah but then i have to go back to kentucky to go to court.. and im not doing that.

im not caring about the price of the ticket as much as i just dont want the points

haha..

anyone know if the traffic school thing will transfer over to kentucky's the trooper was saying somethign about it.

and what does the traffic school cost?

Google them, I think they run just over $100.

The points from Kentucky are applied to your Ohio license, as if you received the ticket in Ohio. Taking a course here will remove them. Make sure you show the certificate from the class to your insurance company as well.

There's a magic class that can remove points from you license!? :confused:

I need to look them up, I've got 2 tickets that won't "Fall Off" for another 2 years. It might be a good investment.

I'm pretty sure I got tickets in maryland and Wv one weekend that never showed up on insurance, not sure about the points either.

When I was shopping for new insurance there were no tickets on my liscense and it was about a year after I got those tickets

Some misinformation going on here! You cannot take a class to remove points from your license. All it does is add a 2 point buffer onto your license. So instead of the usual 12point suspension, you can get the 14point suspension. Usually only helpful when you have 6 points or 12 points on your license.

Just FYI

MI did not transfer points, my ohio record just said something like SPEEDING and had no points, but the bastards at the insurance company still raised my rate. They said they had their own point system regardless of how many points were actually on my record.

This is true. Each insurance company has their own point system for tickets and offenses. A 2 point ticket may be 3 point to them or 1 point. All depends.

This is true. Each insurance company has their own point system for tickets and offenses. A 2 point ticket may be 3 point to them or 1 point. All depends.

Well my insurance co. must do some funky math where 2 points = 9... The cost to insure my GTP is just stupid. :nono: I can't wait till I turn 25 and get the box of driving skills that they send out!

Couple things. I paid a lawyer for my last ticket. I ended up paying 1,000.00 to save 200.00. I guess it depends on how bad you don't want the ticket on your record. I also recieved the letter in the mail from the DMV stating that I had 8 points now and I could take the 8hr class on Saturday to remove two points. I was told that my oldest ticket would come off. I asked my attorney how all this seems fair and he said something to me that really made me take a 2nd look at our system. "Justice is not cheap".

Some misinformation going on here! You cannot take a class to remove points from your license. All it does is add a 2 point buffer onto your license. So instead of the usual 12point suspension, you can get the 14point suspension. Usually only helpful when you have 6 points or 12 points on your license.

Just FYI

We're both right. I assumed Ryan already had some points, in which Ohio law states a class will REMOVE the points from your license, just not add a buffer to 14 total.

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/traffic-schools.php

While the out of state conviction will show up on the Ohio driving record if it is sent in, any points assessed will only count toward suspension in the state where the conviction occurred, unless you have a CDL license.

Your insurance company WILL count the conviction though, as they have their own 'points' system for determining rates.

As stated above, the class only credits you 2 points, allowing you to get 14 points before an Ohio 12 point suspension would take effect.

Here is the ORC section where the points for violations are set out. Although a court may choose to ignore this and give as many points as they want. After all, they ARE GOD. Just ask them. ;) It also speaks to another recent topic regarding points being charged for more than one violation out of the same incident.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4510.036

You'll notice that recommended points are only for violations of other Ohio Revised Code sections. There is nothing in the ORC that allows or instructs the BMV to utilize out of state points in determining 12 point suspension action.

Edited by Zeppelin
added link

We're both right. I assumed Ryan already had some points, in which Ohio law states a class will REMOVE the points from your license, just not add a buffer to 14 total.

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/traffic-schools.php

When I took the class a few years ago they explained it as a buffer and that it doesn't actually remove points. I also got a speeding ticket in VA a few years back and got a letter from the BMV that stated that they got notice of the ticket but they do not at the point so it shows on my record as a 0 point speed.

out of state points DO NOT transfer to Ohio. your Ohio driving record will only show an "out of state conviction" if it was for speed from Kentucky they will usually show up with something like X86-speed or something along those lines on your drivers abstract.. now if you dont pay the ticket, Kentucky shares drivers records with Ohio, meaning you get suspended there for not paying the ticket say goodbye to your license here... there will be no points associated with this conviction just a record of it for i believe three years on your abstract.

4510.036 Records of bureau of motor vehicles - points assessed.

(A) The bureau of motor vehicles shall record within ten days, after receipt, and shall keep at its main office, all abstracts received under this section or section 4510.03, 4510.031, 4510.032, or 4510.034 of the Revised Code and shall maintain records of convictions and bond forfeitures for any violation of a state law or a municipal ordinance regulating the operation of vehicles, streetcars, and trackless trolleys on highways and streets, except a violation related to parking a motor vehicle.

(B) Every court of record or mayor’s court before which a person is charged with a violation for which points are chargeable by this section shall assess and transcribe to the abstract of conviction that is furnished by the bureau to the court the number of points chargeable by this section in the correct space assigned on the reporting form. A United States district court that has jurisdiction within this state and before which a person is charged with a violation for which points are chargeable by this section may assess and transcribe to the abstract of conviction report that is furnished by the bureau the number of points chargeable by this section in the correct space assigned on the reporting form. If the federal court so assesses and transcribes the points chargeable for the offense and furnishes the report to the bureau, the bureau shall record the points in the same manner as those assessed and transcribed by a court of record or mayor’s court.

how i read this, unless a US district court states you are to recieve points, you will not receive points unless you violate an ohio revised code law that assess points.