Question about titling/insuring a car if its two different people

Bam

Ok, so I'm not sure if this is ok or not, so i figured i'd ask before we do it.

I'm going to be buying a car for my fiancee and going to put it in my name.

But she is going to be driving it full time and be the one insuring it...is that cool?

I mean like if I get one of those random letters from the BMV asking for proof of insurance, can I send a copy of her insurance information, seeing as how it'll have my car on it with the vin number?

Is that good enough or do we need to get joint car insurance on it?

thanks

Insurance goes on the car, as long as you can prove that the car does in fact have insurance it doesnt matter. All of our cars even the ones in my wifes name have all been insured on my policy even before we were married. At least my insurer stated it was okay.

It depends on the insurance company if you need to be listed or not. Some will require the titled/registered owner be on the policy along with the named insured (your fiancee) others will not. Just depends on the underwriters.

Do you have your own insurance someplace else on your car? The letters the BMV sends out is just checking that the licensed driver has at least liability insurance. They are not looking for a specific car (that is why people with no cars get the random letter asking for proof in the mail). If you have a license in Ohio, even if you don't have a car, you have to have the liability to make you legal.

Yep it is just like someone borrowing your car, they are covered as long as you have insurance on it. The insurance goes with the car, not the person, or so they say. But like someone else suggested, call your insurance company, they may want to have her on the policy if she is going to be driving it full time.

And as far as the letters from the BMV, all they want to see is insurance coverage for the car matching the VIN number.

As it was explained to me by our insurance agent...in the state of Ohio, car insurance follows the car, not the person. But, if you get a joint policy, you may actually save money in the end with multi-car discounts and such. Who is your homeowners insurance through? If they do car insurance as well, that would be your best bet on savings. Derek and I saved a ton when we joined our policies with our homeowners insurance. We have AllState.