Can Anyone gap a set of 05+ Mustang plugs for me?

BDHG940

please explain becuase I have people telling me this and I still do not know why it would be such a bad idea to run the ht0's. Only think I hear is its bad, no details why and just after the people I have talked with, there are quite a few forced inducted 3v cars with the same plugs

Here is a pic of the plugs side by side. From left to right they are hto w/roughly 20k on them, stock ht1, and brisk 1 piece.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/DSC02342.jpg

It is hard to tell in the photos but the autolites are a 2 piece design. The ground shield directly underneath the taper is crimped on. What happens over time is the ground shield starts to sieze itself to the head. There are three different ways the plugs can break off in the head.

#1 When you go to pull the plugs out the crimps can break leaving the ground shield in the head. Requires a special tool but are easily removed.

#2 The ground shield breaks and the porcelain snaps as well but snaps under the edge of the ground shield. Again requires a special tool. You have to push the porcelain into the ground shield and then pull the ground shield. A little more difficult but still not terrible.

#3 The ground shield breaks and the porcelain snaps off above the crimp. It is possible to break the porcelain in a manner that it cannot be pushed into the ground strap far enough for the removal tools to grab the ground strap. If this happens the only option for removal is to pull the head.

I have had them break all 3 ways. In a mustang they are not so bad. A truck is a complete different story. There are removal procedures to follow that help prevent the plugs from breaking off during removal but it doesnt always work. Putting a little antisieze on the crimp of the ht series plugs during installation goes a long way in preventing them from breaking off upon removal but does not fully eliminate the chance completely.

The 1 piece brisks will not break which is why they are what I run in all of our stuff and what I recommend to our customers. They are a little more expensive but cheaper than spending time removing a broken plug. Part of that cost is in the fact that they are silver core vs platinum. Silver is more expensive and is a better conductor of electricity. The other is the fact that they are one piece.

On a side note I have no problem installing the ht series plugs as long as the customer is aware of the potential costs down the road. I always give customers both options. Since we have been selling Brisk, I have not sold a single set of autolites for the 3v's.

till the guy shooting for the record blows the plugs out of the heads.

cause they are 2 pieces. granted they are better then factory ones. but still.

you havent seen , or had to remove a broken 3v spark plugs yet. like me or brady has. this is why we say its bad.

I can bet maybe a few dollars he doesnt have them in his car, he was just saying for what Im doing.

Your right I havent had to do a 3v. I dont specialize in that area, however I have blown 2 plugs out of my 2v, could have been worse. Mine either came loose or soemthing and only pulled a few threads out and still just threaded back in.

above thread covers what I originally had here....

Not really. There was a silver 05 Gt with a 3v that was in Hilliard with a D1 on it pushing 12 psi. It was putting out over 550 rwhp.

In my opinion, that is playing with fire. There are stock blocks out there holding that kind of power though. It all comes down to risk vs reward and how close to the line you are willing to take it.

I follow you Brady, thanks a lot for clearing that up. What do you think about pulling these original plugs then. What should I expect, 34k on the car, anything I should pay attention to with pulling them then?

My thing is that most people will change their plugs every year or so. Most guys dont daily the turbo cars(I dont fall under that catagory) and get maybe 3-4k miles a year. I would think with those conditions, a little anti-seize, the autolites really wouldnt be that big of a deal. Although seeing them like you have layed out, I would consider going with the Brisk

Mike I emailed you my address if you decide you wanted to go with the Brisk to have him send them my way. I plan to have the car running next Thursday so just as long as we can have them by then.

They probably wont be too bad but it is hard to say. I have had vehicles with 30k where every plug broke and then had them with 70k where they all came out just fine. Its kind of a crap shoot. The mustangs seem to come out better than the trucks but there is still a chance. The plugs should make awful noises when coming out. Pm me your email address and I will send you over the tsb that outlines the Ford recommended removal procedure. Follow it and you should be okay. If you have any questions beyond that, give me a call and I will see if I can help.

Guest Removed

my way seems to work well in the fuck truck heads..just dont let it cool down to fast between removing the banks

slow IV drip fuel injection cleaning service (step the throttle up to 2000-2400 rpm) and let it run till the bottle is gone. what this does it remove most of the carbon from the tips. not only does this help break up the carbon, it gets the heads really hot, to help release the tips in their tight fit in the bottom of the spark plug hole.

quickly remove all the coils

and start slowly removing the plugs..creeking is good! thats means they are moving.

but if they start to turn freely , then hope you know someone with the tool.

anti sieze the new plug regardless of brand, and check gaps and install.

i have been very lucky, that i havent had the porcelain break..but i have had to remove heads, from other shops breaking the plugs off. and trust me. tearing one down in the trucks isnt fun. the cars dont look so bad.

and yes read the tsb...every word..lol

and the 2v heads are known to spit plugs out due to them only having 4 threads(most have this issue) some have 10 threads, but even those will push the plugs out, if they are not tightened properly. and even on those i have had good luck with my thread insert method. it makes the 4 thread heads have a steal 10 thread insert that wont back out, like i have seen some of them do.

Mike I emailed you my address if you decide you wanted to go with the Brisk to have him send them my way. I plan to have the car running next Thursday so just as long as we can have them by then.

Chad, I will have Brady get the plugs to you by the end of this week. Thanks!