Sorry boys, I was screaming and yelling for OSU tonight.

SpaceGhost

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was screaming at the end of the first half. I understand wanting to be agressive but you've got the lead by a c-hair against a great team and instead of running the ball and going to half you have a QB, who tosses Goodyear blimps, throw the ball twice and give them the ball back? They have too many weapons to keep giving them chances.

Then we're in field goal range to put us up by 8 and instead of running the ball to setup the fg you have him drop back to pass and get sacked putting us out of field goal range? I just didnt understand it. How many yards to TP have on the ground? 25-30? Those were just bonehead calls imo.

You guys want it all both ways. People rip on the coach for being overly conservative and then look what happens at the end of the half when he decides to throw on 3rd down. I personally thought it was a great opportunity. What it came down to is poor execution.

Prior is just not as good as advertised. All we heard about this off season was how improved his mechanics were. But how many times did the announcers show replays of him throwing off his back feet and displaying no accuracy. His management of the game is horrible. Delay of game penalties and unawareness of what is happening around him are unacceptable at this level.

The biggest mistake Tressel has made in his tenure was giving into the pressure of having to play Prior so early. Things would have been different last year if Boeckman didn't get benched.

I'd like to know from all of the anti-Tressel people out there: who you think OSU could bring in here that would be an upgrade at the head coach position? (And I mean realistic candidates who would come (not someone like Urban Meyer))

You guys want it all both ways. People rip on the coach for being overly conservative and then look what happens at the end of the half when he decides to throw on 3rd down. I personally thought it was a great opportunity. What it came down to is poor execution.

Prior is just not as good as advertised. All we heard about this off season was how improved his mechanics were. But how many times did the announcers show replays of him throwing off his back feet and displaying no accuracy. His management of the game is horrible. Delay of game penalties and unawareness of what is happening around him are unacceptable at this level.

The biggest mistake Tressel has made in his tenure was giving into the pressure of having to play Prior so early. Things would have been different last year if Boeckman didn't get benched.

I'd like to know from all of the anti-Tressel people out there: who you think OSU could bring in here that would be an upgrade at the head coach position? (And I mean realistic candidates who would come (not someone like Urban Meyer))

Tressel's not as good as advertised either. As a coach you have to trust your team. The play calling I saw was the play calling of coaches that dont trust their team... We dont need a new coach, we just need him to start calling plays like he has a top 10 ranked team and talented players.

(And I mean realistic candidates who would come (not someone like Urban Meyer))

Are you serious? I hate OSU more than any other team and even I think this is a joke... Almost any coach in the country would come to OSU if there was an opening. Urban Meyer is from Ohio. A lot of coaches have clauses specifically for OSU if a position became available, that has no buy-out penalty.

Tressel's not as good as advertised either. As a coach you have to trust your team. The play calling I saw was the play calling of coaches that dont trust their team... We dont need a new coach, we just need him to start calling plays like he has a top 10 ranked team and talented players.

QFT

tressel has no killer instinct. He needs to grow balls and call plays to utilize what he has. he has some on the most highly recruited players in the nation and he doesnt use them.

Are you serious? I hate OSU more than any other team and even I think this is a joke... Almost any coach in the country would come to OSU if there was an opening. Urban Meyer is from Ohio. A lot of coaches have clauses specifically for OSU if a position became available, that has no buy-out penalty.

I know where he's from.

If you think Urban Meyer is leaving Florida to come here then you'll be waiting for quite a while. Again I ask, if Tressel is so bad and there are better people out there then who? Waiting for names. Its obviously easy to get a Big 10 school to the national championship 3 out of 6 seasons so I'm looking for who the guy is who will get the program over the hump. Names please...

QFT

tressel has no killer instinct. He needs to grow balls and call plays to utilize what he has. he has some on the most highly recruited players in the nation and he doesnt use them.

Or is he utilizing them too much? What would you be doing different? Throwing the ball more vertical? With a QB who has proven he can barely throw a screen pass let alone a 30 yard post pattern into coverage.

You want TP to run the edge more? Those decisions he made pitching the ball to Herron a few times looked pretty good too huh? Maybe Tressel can yell into the headset to him also and tell him when to pitch the ball accurately?

once again, our def kept us right in the game and our offense couldnt take advantage. srsly.. they punted from their own end zone 3 times and we couldnt even get a field goal???? ooh and they were nice enough to give us a safety and STILL couldnt come up with our own points. so frustrating. i put this loss on tressel and on pryor. i agree with LJ, tressel has been making the same coaching mistakes for a while now, when is he going to learn/try something else?? i dont think he needs to be fired but he needs to wake up. and pryor.. well ive voice my opinion on not liking him and i going to hate him for a few more years. unfortunately, they put so much trust and time into him.. im calling it now, he wont have a good grasp of being a QB even as a senior. i dunno if we were out of field goal range on our last drive but he took a fucking sack!? seriously?

ive never been so frustrated at the buckeyes, and the big ten for that matter. why cant anyone else around us step up and help us out. and yes i know.. penn state.. well they need to continue doing it.

Your point is not valid. Michigan is not a big game anymore. They've been down for years.

They were ranked when OSU played them in 2007. They were #2 in the country when OSU played them in 2006. They were absolutely awful last year. But years? Not so sure about that...

I'm not calling for JT's job but the guy was a talent waster Saturday night. Did we start with bad field position a SINGLE time? How many times did Sane and Small touch the ball? I whole heartedly agree that TP is a horrible leader. It comes back to coaching though. Those delay of games are just as much a problem with coaching as they are with shitty field management from TP. A coach like Lou Holtz or Woody would have run out there and drug him off the field by his face mask for being so damn stupid. One time is acceptable, the other aren't.

It's going to be a long season folks. Our D is solid. If the offensive play calling doesn't change we're f'd.

Since this is a "pile on" thread, I'm going to get my licks in.

We should have learned in these past 6 big games that kicking field goals wont cut it. You must put the ball in the EZ.

That being said, when JT is facing 1st and goal from inside the 5, we have to be confident enough in our guys that they will get the job done. When it comes down to 4th and goal at the one, if you cant put it in, you dont deserve to win against a tema like USC. When are we going to man up and KNOW that we can dominate?

Pete Carroll may have the best players that money can buy, but those guys "WALK AS IF." They walk as if they are going to win! They walk as if they know no fear. They walk as if a 4th and 1 is a personal challenge THEY WILL WIN.

Until we get to that point, we will continually fall short against quality opponents.

That being said, when JT is facing 1st and goal from inside the 5, we have to be confident enough in our guys that they will get the job done. When it comes down to 4th and goal at the one, if you cant put it in, you dont deserve to win against a tema like USC. When are we going to man up and KNOW that we can dominate?

OSU dominated the game up front on both sides of the ball for 3.5 quarters. They were prepared to play. They got worn out at the end. This game came down to the skilled players not executing when it counted.

The play of the game was when we allowed them to convert a 3rd and about 13 from their own 5 yard line. Russell got toasted again (just like he did twice in the Navy game). Was he also the guy who missed the tackle on the game winning TD against TX last year in the Fiesta Bowl (not sure on this one)?

OSU dominated the game up front on both sides of the ball for 3.5 quarters. They were prepared to play. They got worn out at the end. This game came down to the skilled players not executing when it counted.

The play of the game was when we allowed them to convert a 3rd and about 13 from their own 5 yard line. Russell got toasted again (just like he did twice in the Navy game). Was he also the guy who missed the tackle on the game winning TD against TX last year in the Fiesta Bowl (not sure on this one)?

OSU holds USC to 18 points and we give them 7 in the first quarter off a TP pick and you want to blame the defense?

Hmmmm...NOkay.

OSU holds USC to 18 points and we give them 7 in the first quarter off a TP pick and you want to blame the defense?

Hmmmm...NOkay.

I said I blamed the skilled players not executing. Not the defense as a whole. Reread what I posted.

I don't care what happens leading up to it. But when you have a chance to put them away and you give up a huge 3rd down deep in their own territory then it is a huge play.

Up until that point, Barkley had very little confidence. We was getting hit and shaken. After that conversion is when the turning point happened for him.

I said I blamed the skilled players not executing. Not the defense as a whole. Reread what I posted.

I don't care what happens leading up to it. But when you have a chance to put them away and you give up a huge 3rd down deep in their own territory then it is a huge play.

Up until that point, Barkley had very little confidence. We was getting hit and shaken. After that conversion is when the turning point happened for him.

And anyone could see that the drive USC made at the end of the game was McKnight's drive, not Barkley's. He had 56 of the 86 yards, or 65% of the yards on that drive.

Also, I don't know what you are talking about with "The play of the game was when we allowed them to convert a 3rd and about 13 from their own 5 yard line. Russell got toasted again"

They had 2nd and 19 and McKnight ran for 11 yards, then on 3rd and 8 he got mismatched with Ross Homan which was a bad defensive call and burned him for 21 yards.

And anyone could see that the drive USC made at the end of the game was McKnight's drive, not Barkley's. He had 56 of the 86 yards, or 65% of the yards on that drive.

Also, I don't know what you are talking about with "The play of the game was when we allowed them to convert a 3rd and about 13 from their own 5 yard line. Russell got toasted again"

They had 2nd and 19 and McKnight ran for 11 yards, then on 3rd and 8 he got mismatched with Ross Homan which was a bad defensive call and burned him for 21 yards.

Perhaps it was the next set of downs. I haven't been able to go back and watch the 4th quarter yet. I may be mistaken on the timeline.

Perhaps it was the next set of downs. I haven't been able to go back and watch the 4th quarter yet. I may be mistaken on the timeline.

The other play was a came on USC's game winning drive. Facing third and eight at their own 16-yard line, the Trojans came up with a 21 yard completion to Joe McKnight to earn a first down and begin their march down the field.

"It was a great play-call by Pete (Carroll)," said OSU safety Kurt Coleman.

"We were in a man, two high kind of look and they had a mismatch with Ross (Homan).

"Ross did a good job, but he (McKnight) made a play," Coleman said.

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2009/usc/posgame/noteandquotebook.htm

The next play was a 26 yard completion to the tight end who split the seam on the cover 2 and it wasn't really anyone's fault, just the perfect play call for that defense.

I can go along with blaming the skilled players on O for not executing...I just can't blame the D. If you told anyone before this game that our D would hold them to 18 and really only 11 cuz that first TD was an absolute gift, I would have said you were crazy.

Our O let us down again. Once again, if you hope FGs will stop USC, you are dreaming.

I can go along with blaming the skilled players on O for not executing...I just can't blame the D. If you told anyone before this game that our D would hold them to 18 and really only 11 cuz that first TD was an absolute gift, I would have said you were crazy.

Our O let us down again. Once again, if you hope FGs will stop USC, you are dreaming.

Disagree, while the offense did look young (remember, all new receivers, running backs, and most of the line) they did as well as they could for the 2nd game. The coaches did not make the play calls that would have allowed the offense to put more points up. No QB sneak on the goalline? Punting on a 52 yard field goal? Running Boom up the gut and never trying Saine (when all Saine did was pount people last week and Boom looked horrible).

I know some of you are freaking out over the bashing of Tressel, but this defines what I am talking about.

4th down, wind at the back of the Buckeyes, 53 yard field goal... Tressel decides to take the delay of game to move them back 5 yards to get the room to punt. Ole Petey DECLINES the delay of game penalty, almost daring Tressel to try the field goal. Tressel pees down his leg, punts the ball away. USC takes the ball, drives 86 yards, wins by THREE POINTS.

I know some of you are freaking out over the bashing of Tressel, but this defines what I am talking about.

4th down, wind at the back of the Buckeyes, 53 yard field goal... Tressel decides to take the delay of game to move them back 5 yards to get the room to punt. Ole Petey DECLINES the delay of game penalty, almost daring Tressel to try the field goal. Tressel pees down his leg, punts the ball away. USC takes the ball, drives 86 yards, wins by THREE POINTS.

Seeing Pettrey all over Tressel during that sequence almost made me want to jump down to the sideline and put him in for Tressel. I'm sure he lost all of Pettrey's respect on that decision. The kid was right next to him almost begging for the chance, especially after the penalty was declined. I couldn't believe it. I think my eyes went crossed trying to figure that one out.

I may be a little drunk, but if any person does not think Ohio State redeemed respect for the Big Ten somewhat is a fucking moron.

Also, I lost my voice. :(

Then i am a moron...and so is ESPN who never once made a positive comment on OSU during or after the game and all the other people who hate us. Kirk H was the only person who had a decent thing to say about OSU. I dont care who great our defense played, a loss is a loss in the national stages eyes...and we just lost again to a team who played like crap and we hardly capitalized on their mistakes. I love OSU, but the big ten is falling a little flat this year.