Build Question

wagner

This is what I would like to do with my car someday maybe. I would like an idea or breakdown of how much a build like this might cost and any experience some of you have on similar things.

This is not my first rodeo so I know it is going to be expensive. Looking for intelligent replies and opinions please so keep it on topic for this one. If you have something retarded to say go to the kitchen and speak your mind.

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1355/Radical_Street_Cars/post/1637708/1998-TRANS-AM-ORIGINAL-LS1-CAR-NOW-BBC-MOTOR.html

Guest tbutera2112

kinda OT, but he is advertising a trade for stock ls1 plus cash....give him your car plus 10k, and you will save money in the long run

not many people on this board are fans of big blocks, so goodluck getting any real advice...you shoulda seen what happened when i made a thread like this about my car, turned into 10 pages of bashing and a mod having to lock it, and i wasnt removing a godly lsx, just my gay 2v

i cant really speak for an LSx car, but the swap parts to put BBF stuff into my mustang all said and done are around 4k, without a rearend...figure in another 2k for a rear end, and whatever you want to put into a motor...

swap - 3-4k

rear - 2-3k

motor 1500 - 100k *lol, thats all on you*

plus labor unless you do it yourself....im going through this right now with mine and theres so many things that get overlooked...you should maybe message the guy and see if he has a build thread anywhere or anything...things like pedal assembly, radiator, electrical, fuel etc etc...it all adds up...ill have about 6-7k in my swap all said and done, without a built rear...like i said, it may be different for you, but i cant imagine it being that much different...still throwing an old ass motor into a new style car...also dont forget to factor in a hood and paint etc...ide say you would be in 10k or so for a mild build, if you get a steal on labor or did it yourself....for that guys setup, probably a good bit more than 10k....that car appears to be a steal

kinda OT, but he is advertising a trade for stock ls1 plus cash....give him your car plus 10k, and you will save money in the long run

not many people on this board are fans of big blocks, so goodluck getting any real advice...you shoulda seen what happened when i made a thread like this about my car, turned into 10 pages of bashing and a mod having to lock it, and i wasnt removing a godly lsx, just my gay 2v

I won't be using that sort of power plant. The motor is actually pretty easy these days with all of the development that has been done. Most people just find somethign that fits their needs and budget that has already been done.

I have no desire to build some sort of new combo though R&D takes to much time, money, and there is to much possibility for the never fun ooops boom.

If I had the money I would trade and cash my way into the drivers seat of that car.

Guest tbutera2112
I won't be using that sort of power plant. The motor is actually pretty easy these days with all of the development that has been done. Most people just find somethign that fits their needs and budget that has already been done.

I have no desire to build some sort of new combo though R&D takes to much time, money, and there is to much possibility for the never fun ooops boom.

If I had the money I would trade and cash my way into the drivers seat of that car.

sorry im a little confused... would you be looking for a BBC swap? or no? you said you dont want that powerplant, but then said you would get the car if you could...got me all confused lol..also, i added more to my first post so i wasnt "thread shitting" :p

sorry im a little confused... would you be looking for a BBC swap? or no? you said you dont want that powerplant, but then said you would get the car if you could...got me all confused lol..also, i added more to my first post so i wasnt "thread shitting" :p

I have no plans to get that car so the BBC is not a factor. I would not do a BBC swap even with the fact it is pretty easy with 4th gens all the parts are pretty much off the shelf.

I am looking what costs would be chassis wise and the other stuff.

oh ok....disregard everything i said then....thought you meant the whole build not just chassis

No you had some good points. I just don't think I would run a big block at least not right off the bat.

I am looking for what people have run into with chassis, suspension, and other things that come up with a build. I have been all over other sites but you can only get so much from the internet I prefer to actually see the car and talk to a local who has been there done that.

Now that turbo car is going to be insane that Steve-o posted. I don't know if I want to go that wild.

No you had some good points. I just don't think I would run a big block at least not right off the bat.

I am looking for what people have run into with chassis, suspension, and other things that come up with a build. I have been all over other sites but you can only get so much from the internet I prefer to actually see the car and talk to a local who has been there done that.

Now that turbo car is going to be insane that Steve-o posted. I don't know if I want to go that wild.

ya like I said he ran a 8.10 and 170 plus..

but I thought tha would help you out seeing what all he ahd done to his suspension and rear end to give you an idea on stock to extreme... I am running in the same problems like you... I am trying to plan out my entire build before I start just buying things and trying to piece them together... I rather make sure eveything is going to work very well together and see how much it will ACTUALLY cost to do what I want lol

ya like I said he ran a 8.10 and 170 plus..

but I thought tha would help you out seeing what all he ahd done to his suspension and rear end to give you an idea on stock to extreme... I am running in the same problems like you... I am trying to plan out my entire build before I start just buying things and trying to piece them together... I rather make sure eveything is going to work very well together and see how much it will ACTUALLY cost to do what I want lol

Yea I really think I am going to scale back or just flat give up. I might even sell the car at this point just starting to care less and less.

Guest tbutera2112
Yea I really think I am going to scale back or just flat give up. I might even sell the car at this point just starting to care less and less.

go buy a 10 second foxbody for 5gs and go play around and have fun lol

dont do that lol

Looking into it I am thinking the suspension will not be that much but the rear end and tranny will be around 4k total... now also if you do the work yourself you can seave a lot...

I dont plan to have mine done for two seasons but when it is I know I will have not taken any short cuts and will be very happy...

as far as rolling chassis.

looks like a 12 bolt with ladder bars and a 10 point cage.

depending on what you have in the body, that could be copied for way less then 24k

hell i could have had my chassis built with a 25.2 chassis(good to below 7.50's) and a custom k member, and a wild 9" for $25,000. but then you start adding the engine, and trans and fuel system and what not you can be looking @ 100k.

You looking to do some crazy 8 sec. ground pounder? If that's the case, I say keep your car, do some fun bolt ons, and buy yourself a rolling chasis or a wrecked up F-Body.