Model Building

Alex L.

My better nerd just took over and I just got the sudden urge to start building models again. I used to do this as a hobby when I was younger and just grew away from it. I dug around in the cedar closet down here and dug out a Wankel model and am starting on that now. I've got a large visible V-8 engine model that I have to build after this, along with a few other cars.

What models have you guys built?

ive built tons of cars as a kid. built several rc planes and gliders. went through a rocket phase. then started making my own shit, like fabbing up a brace so i could attach an airplane engine to a rc car. that was fun. then i fab'd a boat out of bulsa(sp?) , styrofoam and ultracote. then bolted another moter on it. turns out it was waaaaaaaaaay to fast for the pool, and was pretty much a yellow blur on the lake. i even had a plastic model fw 190 that i put a small electric engine in and free flew about twenty feet, or as far you you could throw it. total fail there. good stuff though.

When I was a kid, I built models like I was selling them to China. Every time I went out with my parents shopping, I got more Testors paint or a model kit. My family kept me subscribed to a "Model-of-the-month" club. I loved building cars and planes, and when one was gathering dust on my shelf I'd do a "restoration" with new paint and other leftover parts from old model kits. I even did a couple of "frankenstein" or "rat rod" models with parts/wheels/engines from broken models.

I grew out of it and into HO-scale railroading up to about 12-13yrs old, then left it all. I've thought about building models or doing trains again...for nostalgia's sake...but it simply is a waste of time and money that I could be doing better things with. Maybe when I'm retired I'll take up those old hobbies again...definitely not now.