computer help needed

wnaplay1647545503

Go to get on my laptop and no service, check router and no power, so I disconnect it, and hook the modem directly into the computer, while doing so I accidentaly unplugged the computer. Now it wont come back up. I get a screen that gives me the option of opening in various safe modes. It gives me a countdown to when windows will open but once the countdown ends it tries to reboot but brings up that page again and the countdown starts over. I have been able to start it in a safe mode but its way different looking. Everything is distorted, or just not clear, kinda like an old version. I tried hooking my modem to it but it wont work. I did hook it to my laptop and thats what I am using now. Any suggestions?

Load safe mode and start uninstalling devices from device manager. I have no clue what one you need to remove so start with one and try to reboot normal windows. If that doesn't work go back to safe mode and try something else.

I never uninstalled devices. But I did check each and they said they are working properly. I dont want to randomly remove things.

Like it matters if you can't load normal windows you won't be using them. They will auto detect when windows loads anyways.

OK I went into my computer and clicked properties. I unclicked the box in settings under system recovery which automatically restarts the computer when a problem is detected. I try to restart and what I was hoping would happen did. I received a blue screen hopefully directing me to a problem. However the screen says to check new hardware or software which there is nothing new I am aware of. Anyway to see when the last hardware or software was added easily?

I have a master Mcafee cd from my brother in law who is in charge of internet security for a national bank company. I am going to try and load it. If this doesnt detect anything I will start with the devices. From searching the net, it sounds like it may be some sort of malware causing the problem.

plugging your computer directly into your modem wasnt a good idea. your router acts as a firewall and blocks most incoming packets. sure windows has a built in one but it sucks. i wonder if somehow the boot.ini file didnt get messed up.

i personally wouldnt advise it. check the boot.ini file. right click my computer and select properties. click on the advanced tab. then hit the settings button. click edit and make sure your partitions are set right. it should look something like this.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

thats what mine looks like but you may have to change some values depending on the way your partitions are set up.