it broke, well kinda.

Spidey2721

99 windstar van 3.8. developed a squeak coming from the serp belt area. More of a metal bearing type squeak then rubber belt squeak. I am guessing it is the tension pulley dragging a bit. The pulley ribs shine a good bit guessing its from the belt dragging. Normally not that big of a problem just something to replace. But, would a dragging tension pulley cause enough parasitic drag to bog the motor down at idle and cause it to stall out?

On cold starts you instantly hear the squeak. Its a intermittent squeak not a constant. As in er-er---ererer--er-erer-er not eeerrrrrrrr. The motor will also often times stall out during idle after these cold starts. Once the car has warmed up a bit, the squeak is very little to not at all. Also the motor runs fine no stall at all after warm up. Let me know what you all think. It does have a dirty air filter that I will be replacing also will check the maf to see how dirty it may have gotten.

Thanks,

jay

Edited by Spidey2721

Guest Removed
a cam sensor will make that noise? wow. i will check.

it thru a code tonight. had it checked crank sensor.

remember tho.....the pcm is looking for the cam and crank signals to line up.;)

but on that note...make sure the water pump is not the issue. if its the pump, it will make noise, and dump coolant on the crank sensor right below it

(p.s. the cam sensor on the 3.0 does this all the time. cant remember if the 3.8 has the same sensor....it might tho)

been a long day over here