I AM GETTING A NEW CAR! which is a better buy???

Guest JCroz91

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112

its not going to be much more weight than a 4.6 4v out of a cobra...not much at all

expensive to fix? hard to find parts? its a mod motor.... 4.6, 5.4, 2v, 4v, its all the same shit....

Guest tbutera2112
It will fit, but be wide, and heavy as hell.

5.4 is about 25lbs heavier than the 4.6...and it will be wider than his v6, but it wont be any wider than your 4v 4.6...top end parts are all the same

only difference is the stroke and deck height...they make an intake manifold for a 5.4 mustang swap

Guest tbutera2112

or get a 5.4 block out of an f150, and get a set of mark viii or cobra heads and put them on the 5.4, and then piece together accessories...

4v heads will go on the same block as the 2v heads, and vice versa

a lot of people who do the swap just put a 5.4 block in and put the 4.6 heads onto it to cut costs, but thats for people swapping a blown 4.6 2v for a fresh 5.4 2v

find a set of cobra heads, or get a cheap set of mark viii heads and have them worked over nicely, get stock cobra cams or find some nice 4v cams (gotta buy 4 of them so it can get pricey, but worth it)

dohc 4v 5.4 > sohc 2v 4.6

just get a 5.4 bottom end, and get a cobra top end to put on it, with the special intake (needs this intake to put the 4.6 heads on the 5.4 block because of deck height

coolant passages will match up and it all goes right together

I understand, and agree to a certain extent everyone comments here about this kids desire to spend this amount of money on car. For those of you who are giving good advice without the smart-ass add ons, kudos to you.

Now. If he has the money to spend, and his parent don't mine putting up with him and vice-versa, if he has a full time job, and is gonna go to school and further his education, and hopefully improve his street-worthyness for the safty of all of us on the road, what is the problem?

At 16, all I wanted was a Mustang in my life. At 16 I was almost killed. Tomorrows are not promised people, it seems to me that while at his age what he wants to do may seem irresponsible to some, it should be apparent by now that this is what he's gonna do, so why dont you guys give some helpfull advice, and steer the kid right, since you all want to help with his life so bad.

kurt,

we all realize that tomorrow is not promised---but decisions made today can have longterm consequences. buying a clean new edge GT and modding the piss out of it is not in this kid's future, and most everyone here knew it. we were just trying to prevent him from making a monstrous mistake.

here's the simple math on what this kid had planned

'03 GT--$9k

built motor--$4k

power adder--$4k

driveline fortification (clutch/tranny/rear end)--$3k

suspension/wheels/tires/misc--$3k

tuning/installation fees/interior/guages--$3k

broken parts $??

that's $26k and we haven't even calculated broken parts

we're not done yet

wait for it

wait for it

insurance (full coverage) on this gem of a vehicle for 2 years at $14k per year

$28k

so including purchase price, he's looking at spending $54k on a car over the course of 2 years. and how much do you think he'll be able to sell it for at the end of those 2 years??

$16k at best---that's a net loss of $38k over the course of 2 years to drive this car

if he wants to go the smart way, i would buy a 4cylinder notchback from florida in great condition

4 cylinder 1990 notch in great shape---$2k

wrecked GT fox mustang with complete drivetrain---$1500

i won't go through the rest, but you can imagine the insurance on a 20 year old 4cylinder will be cheap, and fox parts are a dime a dozen

this is your best bet kid

if he wants to go the smart way, i would buy a 4cylinder notchback from florida in great condition

4 cylinder 1990 notch in great shape---$2k

wrecked GT fox mustang with complete drivetrain---$1500

i won't go through the rest, but you can imagine the insurance on a 20 year old 4cylinder will be cheap, and fox parts are a dime a dozen

this is your best bet kid

Good advice Kirk.

Guest JCroz91
I will kick you in the nuts if you waste time installing a pos 2v

they have the same internals as a 2v... in the end id just turbo it to about 550-600 rwhp and be done.

2v or 4v doesnt seem to matter when boosted.