1998 blazer steering "loose" and makes a clunk sometimes

smokin5s

ok, so I've now replaced, sway bar lenkages on both sides, both axles, steering gear box, pitman arm, and idler arm. The truck still feels like it's steering is loose and I have to hold the wheel at a bit of an angle in order to keep it driving straight (hard to explain) Also, when I turn the wheel to make a sharp left turn, I hear a clunking noise in the front passanger side.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Ball joints? Check them with a jack under the lower control arm to keep the suspension loaded....this is about the only way to check these with any accuracy. I've also had issue on S-trucks where the mounts that attach the torsion bar crossmember to the frame serparate, thereby making a clunking noise when turning.

This....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Mount-Monroe_15740229-P_2054_R%7CGRPCHASAMS_406949822___

Guest Removed
great!

how much am I looking for to get this done and is it dangerous to drive like this?

ive watched people drive away with wheels ready to fly off, and tie rods popping apart..guess that will be on you and how uncomfortable you feel driving it...

but yet still could be the other stuff like the others said too.

both axles are brand new, sway bar and lenkages are good / new. so where's the torsen bar mount? I can check that to see if it's loose.

then the rag joint is fine, we inspected the steering shaft when we replaced the steering gear box and everything was fine.

TTT, haven't had a chance to make it to NTB yet, but I noticed it's only on the left side, After having a friend go along for a ride, he thinks the clunking is from the drivers side, it will clunk regardless of in 2wd or 4wd and ONLY does it on left turns and while in motion, forwards or backwards does not matter... it will do it no matter what.

Guest Removed
is there a control arm in the front? I thought that was only in the back?

there shoudl be 4 control arms up front. top and bottom on each side, uppers have bushings in them

were is the torson bar mount located at?

in a cross member back by the tail of the transmission

Like my first post and several other people's have said.....check the torsion bar crossmember mounts. Just follow the torsion bars straight back until you find the crossmember. The mounts that attach that crossmember to the frame are what separate. Also, all of the balljoints on a

4WD are riveted in. The 2WD has a press in lower and a riveted upper.