Paint chemical reaction?

Slimpsy1647545505

So I was supposed to get my nova back today but when applying the clear coat the guy painting it said there was a chemical reaction on the roof where it bubbled and he had to sand it down and re-primer/paint it which is delaying the whole process.

My question is. . is this a normal occurrence? Or is this guy just mixing the shit wrong?

He's been doing it 20 years so I'll assume it sometimes happens. Just seems odd.

Guest Removed

some thing in the air could have done it, or maybe it wasnt wiped down correctly?

or was it lots of dirt in it?

oh and just because someone has been doing something for 20 years , doesnt mean they are always doing it right..lol but at least he is taking care of it...

some thing in the air could have done it, or maybe it wasnt wiped down correctly?

or was it lots of dirt in it?

oh and just because someone has been doing something for 20 years , doesnt mean they are always doing it right..lol but at least he is taking care of it...

Well it's the 2nd time it's happened is why I'm questioning it. It happened when he was doing the thin black layer for stripes too. But yeah, he took care of it and it looks fine now. I'll assume it's because it's not being shot in a paint booth as it should be, and the contaminants in the air raped it's soul.

Guest Removed
Well it's the 2nd time it's happened is why I'm questioning it. It happened when he was doing the thin black layer for stripes too. But yeah, he took care of it and it looks fine now. I'll assume it's because it's not being shot in a paint booth as it should be, and the contaminants in the air raped it's soul.

every well could be...some paints are real picky about the air...

was it fish eying or was it real dirty?

every well could be...some paints are real picky about the air...

was it fish eying or was it real dirty?

He let me check it out. . I don't know the term "fish eying" but I will assume that's probably what it was. It wasn't really dirty, as he paints off in a corner of his shop which is free from a lot of debris...it was just kinda bubbly.

I'm not pissed about it, I was just wondering if it's a common occurence. I'm just glad he's taking the extra time to make it right. It's not like I'm paying 10K for the paint job. . . and he's already put a lot of work into the body for me for what I'm paying him. Including pulling out the motor and painting the engine bay and putting a rachet shifter in for me and all this extra shit for like nothing.

Good times.

Next stop . . your place.

He let me check it out. . I don't know the term "fish eying" but I will assume that's probably what it was. It wasn't really dirty, as he paints off in a corner of his shop which is free from a lot of debris...it was just kinda bubbly.

I'm not pissed about it, I was just wondering if it's a common occurence. I'm just glad he's taking the extra time to make it right. It's not like I'm paying 10K for the paint job. . . and he's already put a lot of work into the body for me for what I'm paying him. Including pulling out the motor and painting the engine bay and putting a rachet shifter in for me and all this extra shit for like nothing.

Good times.

Next stop . . your place.

Sometimes all it takes is someone spraying tire-shine (silicone) in a nearby area and your fucked. I've seen it happen to every body shop our company had.

I know we had talked before about your car, and I dont remember if you said single stage or base/clear was going on.

Single stage is really hard to fuck up, unless you have another chemical inbetween coats like Mike suggested.

Base/clear over top of single stage will lift once you get to the later base coat, and into the clear.

I know you had the quarters done and some other things fixed, leading me to believe all of this was in primer. Where all the primer was layed out he shouldnt have had an issue...unless going back to Mikes statement.

Was this just across the top of the car? You said it happened in the strips. Is he laying down two types of paint?

Is he putting single stage stripes over uncured clear?

Really there are a few variables that come into play. And not knowing all of the information, its impossible to come to a solid conclusion. Dirt wont make the paint bubble, water in the line wont make it bubble. Silicone can make it fish eye. Number 1 reason I dont use silicon tire shine. Anyone who paints cars should know, only silicone free chemicals in the shop.

Bubbles are common of a chemical reaction. He must likely mixing incompatible chemicals or rushing by not allowing appropriate time for each layer to flash.

If he's fixing it, thats all that matters.

Thanks Kevin for that informative post. The car was all sanded and primered and the stripes as well as orange are base, not single stage. I know on the stripes he did thin out the black so it would be easier to keep them smooth once the clear went on. . that's how he explained the reaction that time. The roof reaction he didn't really explain. . he said it occured while shooting the clear.

Should brought it to you probably. But I know you're busy and with my budget right now probably couldn't of done all this work for what I'm getting it for. So while I'm sacrificing a little bit of professionalism, he seems to be doing a decent job, and atleast he admits the mistakes and corrects them. Although what was supposed to be a 2 week job has now been over a month.

We'll see the outcome this week I guess.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/79/l_026eb9d5c7b5400ca8434e6b09b947d7.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/9/l_b51880f99aa84af7a74c5cb64706c149.jpg

I like the orange overspray on my radiator here, good times.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/18/l_7912a268170c464fa658388f4680fdf7.jpg

Oh man, its coming along nicely.

It looks like he layed the stripes out real nice. I've seen guys thin the stripes to help cover them when the clear hits. I personally like to hit the edges with 2000 grit to bevel them down a bit. Then the clear flows over them like butter.

Here's the last classic I did... This was from the wheels up. Fenders off, doors off, hood, trunk, no interior in it, complete resto.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/pimpjettay2k/l_defbc28d517380ad257302173b6e9f2d.jpg?t=1256008351

Nice work man! Yeah he definitely did a great job striping the hood and is pretty religious about making things flush, so I have no doubt he will make me happy. . . I'm just pissing and moaning cause it's taking so long and we keep hitting these bumps along the way. I guess I can't complain too much because not only did I get the engine removed/painted/upgraded and the engine bay painted but I got all door jams done, and the trunk coated, and a nice base/clear job all for around the 3Kish mark (including engine kit and all parts/labor). Edited by Slimpsy