I am thinking of buying a handgun.

OGRE

on edit what does ACP mean?

Automatic Colt Pistol

Thanks evan, If i ever need to shoot a person i want them on thier ass, so yeah i think i have decided on a .45.

9mm and .40 will do that just fine as well. I think people tend to get hung up on the 'bigger is better' mentality. It's the age old argument of , small, light and fast, or big, heavy and slow.

The fact is, any 9mm, .40, or .45 will work just fine on a person with the right ammo. Modern ballistics have come along so far that the difference is negligible.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks evan, If i ever need to shoot a person i want them on thier ass, so yeah i think i have decided on a .45. trigger wieght is not an issue, i think that i'd rather have i a little higher than most because i am a big strong dude. thanks for the input i will definatly make a trip to vance's this weekend and the powder room to rent a couple firearms before putting some cash down. thanks.

come join us tomorrow at NOON at blackwing range in delaware. theres a decent group of CR people gonna show up and I'm sure you can test out a few guns, I'll let you try out my ruger if you want... see the thread just below this one...

too bad :( i got up at 12:30. the wife suggested taking the tike to the pumpkin festival. I'll definatly make it out to one soon.

sorry if i sounded bitchy last night, there are alot of empty beer bottles next to my computer desk this morning.

too bad :( i got up at 12:30. the wife suggested taking the tike to the pumpkin festival. I'll definatly make it out to one soon.

sorry if i sounded bitchy last night, there are alot of empty beer bottles next to my computer desk this morning.

Today is Saturday. Have another beer...

New base model 1911 can be had for ~$500. Check out RIA (I believe Copperhead has one and loves it). Also check out the Springfield GI. They're no frills 1911s, and they work. Don't expect match grade performance out of them, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one for plinking and such.

On that note, Firestorm (and the Deluxe model), American Classic (and American Classic II), and Metro Arms 1911 are all sub $400 1911's. All entry level, but reliable. I believe the Firestorm and the Metro Arms are the same gun (marketed under their different names) made by Armscor. Armscor was farmed out to make the STI Spartan which is my personal 1911 of choice for all around goodness.

Tech has come along way since all these company's have started making 1911's, and it's forced everybody to create an out of the box 1911 that functions fine from the get go. No more of the tuning and fitting required that was expected from the "big name" manufacturers 10 years ago.

My personal suggestion, would be to opt for a model that is "upgraded" to a beaver tail grip safety and rounded hammer. Those help keep hammer bite from occurring, and slide bite as it helps to reduce how high your hand rides on the grips. The no frills models will be a truly base 1911 with the mil-spec safety and hammer. Expect hammer and slide bite from those if you're a first time 1911 user until you learn to make the effort to grip the 1911 right.

Mil-spec 1911:

IAC-R100web.jpg

Non mil spec with beaver tail and non spur hammer.

AC-45G2.jpg

I would trust anything from Armscor, no question. I love my base RIA, but wish I had the Tactical model just for the better sights. Which, I believe, is still around $500 (if you can find one, ugh). I don't understand why Vance's carries Hipoint junk but not Rock Island.

Someone on here needs to get an FFL so we can order shit.

Thompson Auto Ordinance 1911-A1 9MM Colt 1911A1

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144385592

$449

SAM 1911-A1 Military Pistol 45 ACP 45ACP Colt

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144410254

$449

Taurus PT 1911 Semi Auto 45 acp w/ Night Sights

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144517605

$489