Mission Complete - the Shelby's in California

SicShelby

Well got the Shelby out to California - no problems.

I left here right after cars and coffee (about 8:30), and made Omaha around 1900 Saturday. I left Omaha Sunday morning at 0530 and made Battle Mountain, NV, at 2100 or so. The weather was great all throughout Nebraska, Wyoming (although very windy - my hood popped up at one point! and caught the safety latch), and Utah. I was nervous about speeding too much after Nebraska, but I hopped in behind two dually Fords in Wyoming moving along at 95-100 (blasted through that state!). It rained from the Utah/Nevada line up until Battle Mountain, Nevada. A high school friend of mine (we went to bootcamp together too) is currently a Nevada Highway Patrolmen there. As far as fast cars, he only had the Challenger to compare to, so I took him for a ride Monday morning when the roads dried up. He gave the all clear after calling his buddy that was on shift and finding out where he was, and he took me out on a flat road - it must have been at least ten miles in a straight line. Anyhew... I took him up to 158 before the governor kicked in, and that was enough smiles for him! Left Monday morning and it rained pretty much to Reno, and then it was a dry shot from there. The Shelby was so trashed after that nasty Nevada dirt.

So anyways, just wanted to pass a quick note about the trip. I had one visit with a Nebraska State Trooper who ticketed me for 87 in a 75, but that's just the risk I guess.

I'll keep in touch - I'm sporting the daily driver until I'm outta here in January.

Gabe

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/gjsantos2/Portola/P1040647.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/gjsantos2/Portola/P1040649.jpg

(Salt flats outside of Salt lake City):

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/gjsantos2/Portola/P1040643.jpg

It was a decent ride. I have to say, all the way up to Salt Lake City was practically a BORE. Some spirited driving here and there, but no one out playing of course. It was nice that the weather pretty much stayed clear.

I stopped to 1) Piss, and 2) fill up on gas. Everything else was nonessential, lol. Glad the wife wasn't with me or I'd still be driving...

Thanks all. I think it was 11 hours to Omaha and 16 from there to Battle Mountain, and another four or so to home. Honestly... it wasn't all too bad - the Shelby is pretty damn comfortable. If you need to get up and go, you can get up and go! It seemed pretty comfortable cruising at 80/85, although I did try to stay in and around the speed limit most of the the time. The seat is comfortable enough (unlike the Yaris). I'm really glad that I have the nav in there too, that was nice, even though there weren't many turns really.

Overall I averaged about 21mpg, which is decent for the GT500. I really wish that 6th was deeper, like in a Camaro or Corvette; it's almost useless as an "overdrive", which really I already have with 5th.

Not much to it!

Where are you headed to?

Eventually headed out to California - this January. The Shelby is in Portola (up by Tahoe) and I'll be transferring with my company to Concord, and staying in Modesto. Eventually I'll have everything down in the valley, it looks like, and I absolutely can't WAIT to take a drive up the 101 in the Shelby ;)

So, going against the grain and moving back to Cali.