Einstien violated

Science Abuse

I believe that is correct, because the ball would be thrown relative to the speed of what's throwing it.

Which would mean the ball is traveling 50mph since it would be traveling relative to the car and not the ground (for the total ground speed of 100mph)

Or a simpler way to look at it. The ball is traveling a total of 100 mph because you threw it 50mph in conjunction with the 50mph you're already traveling. You didn't throw it 100mph by yourself.

ok, so since we can't go light speed, what if your just shy of it, as fast as mathmatic calculations will allow or whatever it is that governs it, then turn on said flashlight. the light emitted from the light will be near double what it would be it the flashlight were not in "motion".... do see what I'm getting at here....

hell, if you're in a car going 10mph, and turn on the flash light, at same time someone thats no moving turns on their flashlight, your flashlights light should be 10mph faster than the other guys... or am i just off base here?

I had a physics teacher at a local college in chicago who was extremly wealthy and smart. He was responsible for numerous laser technology breakthroughs and patents. Anyways, it was 2003 and he was telling us about this in a physics class like he was actively doing such experiments. Regardless pretty cool.

ok, so since we can't go light speed, what if your just shy of it, as fast as mathmatic calculations will allow or whatever it is that governs it, then turn on said flashlight. the light emitted from the light will be near double what it would be it the flashlight were not in "motion".... do see what I'm getting at here....

hell, if you're in a car going 10mph, and turn on the flash light, at same time someone thats no moving turns on their flashlight, your flashlights light should be 10mph faster than the other guys... or am i just off base here?

Yes, you're off base. I already covered it. Light is a constant speed ( C = 186,000mile/sec ), always maxed, and can not increase or decrease. Light can not travel faster than the speed of light, therefore, no matter how fast the initial speed of you, if you turn on a flash light, that light can not travel faster than light.

Light traveling faster than the speed of light is a paradox.

BTW, there is a spatial effect of compression near the speed of light. I don't know all the terminology, so fuck off, but basically, because of the relativity effects near light speed, and object traveling that fast would actually appear to compress along the direction of travel. However, anybody within the object would observe their world as appearing totally normal. If you threw a ball forward inside a ship traveling near light speed, you would observe it as traveling away from you normally.

However, to an outside observer(for the sake ofexample we must assume the observer is immune to relativistic effects), you would appear as a flattened shape seen edge one, and the ball would appear as an even flatter disc, barely diverging from the thrower before dropping to the deck.

BTW, this also means that the flashlight you shine on the front wall of your ship would be traveling the same perceptual distance for you at light speed as it would at rest, so using a device that is affected by relativistic compression would give you the same time readings either way when measuring the time it takes a photon to leave the flashlight and reach the wall.

so who here understands Time Dilation?

Understand it or know what it is? :eek:

I understand the general concept, but should have payed more attention in class. :o Maybe I'll go dig up my notes if I get a wild hair up my ass in the next few days. If... when I get rich one of these days I'll go back and finish my physics degree.

Ah, I remember Einsteins example with the train now, but I've not go the time to explain it. Really easy to do with diagrams. I'm sure you know it if you are asking, I was saying for everyone else.

Let me first state that I don't beleive in speed limits, simply becaue we don't know everything yet. Light cannot travel faster than light, but that is not to say that there can't be something some where that is able to move from point to point in spacetime faster than light can travel through it. (note that this leaves open a few possiblities).

The compression based on the speed-limit-of-light, as I understand it: Since nothing *can* travel faster than light, anything traveling *at* the speed of light loses its 3rd and 4th dimension... in theory.

Let me first state that I don't beleive in speed limits, simply becaue we don't know everything yet. Light cannot travel faster than light, but that is not to say that there can't be something some where that is able to move from point to point in spacetime faster than light can travel through it. (note that this leaves open a few possiblities).

The compression based on the speed-limit-of-light, as I understand it: Since nothing *can* travel faster than light, anything traveling *at* the speed of light loses its 3rd and 4th dimension... in theory.

I think that starts to delve into quantum physics, where we start bending time to arrive some place faster than light could speed wise. But, in doing so, we also bend light with us, so we don't travel faster than light itself, just time.

I've always been pretty interested in all this. I'm suprised to find as many people on here with opinions as I have, as well. I've also enjoyed reading them. However, on a less serious note, I found the black hole that was created.

As seen here, beginning to suck in everything around it.

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/352.jpg

I've always been pretty interested in all this. I'm suprised to find as many people on here with opinions as I have, as well. I've also enjoyed reading them. However, on a less serious note, I found the black hole that was created.

As seen here, beginning to suck in everything around it.

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/352.jpg

It would appear that the gravitational pull of that massive black hole is bending light as well. :(