anyone disputed property value to lower taxes?

evan9381

branched off the other thread since it didnt really go there, and got no response.

has anyone submitted an appeal to the auditors office recently with the housing market taking a dump and values going down? i bought my house at the midway point between HUDs assessment and the banks assessment, which was still over 35k lower than the auditor in 2007

ive done a couple improvements (new patio out back, couple small changes in house), but ive also done stuff that i knew would make my value take a hit like turning 2 bedrooms into 1, thus going from a 3br house to a 2br)

but looking at the auditors website, if i can get them to accept the value of my home (FMV) at say 5k over the last assessment for example, it would drop my taxes about $600/yr... a decent chunk

has anyone done this? if so, was it a PITA or was it pretty straight forward?? i think i found the form on the auditors website to turn, and i still have both assessors reports from dec 2008 and march 2009 when i bought the house, as well as comp's my realtor pulled at the same time.

I did it when I bought my current house, but it was a little more straightforward. I purchased the house for far less than the auditors appraised value. Filled out the form, submitted it by the deadline (I think around March 1st) and waited. Come September, I was officially revalued at the purchase price.

Interesting side note, I was told if I had purchased it for more than the appraised value, Columbus Public Schools has someone who checks this and appeals for a higher appraisal!!! (maybe that person needed a raise so we got the last levy:bs:). I also checked my property on the auditors sight a couple of months back and found I was assessed a "renters fee" or some such thing. I called and was told I didn't rspond to a letter they sent (and I never saw) that confirmed me as the owner occupant, so they added the fee as a potentila rental property! Once again, file a form and got it taken off, but just more BS hassle.

In your case, you MAY have to go through a hearing process (even though you submit all your backup paperwork with the form). Hey, it doesn't cost anything to file, other than your time. Good Luck.

I did it about 3 or 4 years ago on my old house. I bought it for 177K-ish, when I refinanced a few years later, the mortgage company appraised it at 150K. I called the Franklin County Auditor's Office. (I didn't know the paperwork was online). They mailed me the papers, filled them out, sent them in. A few weeks later, value was dropped. Payment went down and even got some money back for "overpaying" taxes.

Do it!!

Mine's the other way around, LOL. Don't tell them. They currently have my house valued at $127k on the auditor's site, but when I refinanced earlier this year it appraised at $189k, so I'm just hoping they never catch on and up my taxes.

• 5 months later...

just to update this -

went down to auditors office november 09...woman gave me form to fill out, said to wait until 1/1/10 to mail it in. she said since it was a recent sale and i had 2 appraisals, showing i bought house for 78k, there was a good chance i wouldnt have to go in for a hearing..

so i mailed in my complaint of valuation form 1/1/10. sent in settlement statement from buying my house, appraisal HUD did 12/31/08, appraisal my bank did march 2010, and i think there was one other form

today i received in the mail a letter that they agreed that the lower value was warranted, and dropped the value to $78,000, AS OF 1/1/2009...fuck yes...taxable value is 35%, $27300. so due to this, my taxes go from $2578/yr to $1731/yr

$847/yr = $70.58/mo less.

plus, when i called in, she said once my mortgage co pays my taxes in june, 35 days after that, in 4-8 weeks (odd, i know, i figure 2-3 months after paying) they will refund me the difference from what it should have been vs what it was. i think last year they were at 2198 or so, so still like $500.

easy peasy. some of you may want to look into it if you feel your homes have taken a hit in value. there was a big news article about this in the last couple months. it was free, took a few months, and the worst that could have happened is my taxes would have stayed the same.

for me it cost nothing, but you have to prove what your value is. i got lucky since i had just bought the house, had 2 appraisals, etc. if youve lived in the house for a while, you'll probably need an appraisal which might be ~$400, maybe a second opinion, comparables, etc.

but to submit the complaint of valuation = free

does it cost anything to do? if not, im doing it!

costs you an appraiser coming out.... if you don't, then you will go to court and more than likely they will deny it unless you can show proof that it's value has dropped... (I tried to show what I paid for the house and they just said, wow, good job on negotiating your purchase)

costs you an appraiser coming out.... if you don't, then you will go to court and more than likely they will deny it unless you can show proof that it's value has dropped... (I tried to show what I paid for the house and they just said, wow, good job on negotiating your purchase)

did your bank not have an appraisal done before they gave you the loan? you can use that.

• 3 months later...

Update...auditors office showed myupdated value online 8/1, and in the mail today i got a check for the overages paid on the reduced value.

Now im just waiting on some stuff from my bank to show the title company they missed a special assessment which had to be paid from my escrow account which will get me another $400 back that i should have never had to have paid

Did they give a time limit on how old the appraisals could be? I bought my current house at the end of March/beginning of April so I have the appraisals from then. There's about a 100k difference between what I paid and what it's listed at.

Well, i bought my house march 23rd 2009. My appraisals were from 12/31/08 (HUDs appraisal) and early march 09 (from my bank). I sent in the complaint 1/1/10 and they notified me it was accepted in april

getting stuff to back up what you think the value should be can take some legwork

Mine was a bit easier as I just purchased the house - I think they just looked at the purchase price and that was it. A good place to get some additional information is the Franklin County Auditor's sight:

http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/

Go to "Your Property" at the top and then "Property Search" in the pull down. Once you look up you property there are several options for looking up other property in you area. If you live where there are a lot of similar houses, you can sometimes come up with comparables in either current assesments, or in sales value using the recent sales report - remember - figures don't lie, but liars figure!!!

Despite having the purchase contract, I also was able to show my house was appraised higher by square footage than several comparables in the area (all with like bedroon/bathroom count & square footage)

If youre home this weekend and i stop by my dads, ill show you how to do it. The form itself is easy...getting stuff to back up what you think the value should be can take some legwork

Sounds good. I'll be there all weekend. Shoot me text when you have time to stop by.

Thanks

They have my current value at 16K more than I paid. In reality the value is probably 40K less than I paid.

Right, but youve been there a while right? Might need to get an appraiser to come out as well as search some comparables in the area if your stuff isnt recent

Wease - they have some houses same as mine like that...b/c its a 3 level split, they counted the half basement on some like mine as 1388 sq/ft but on others only like 989 or so. Not sure why they did it though