99 Cobra - On3 Turbo vs Vortech Supercharger

DTM Brian

Another stock long block cobra with a Vortech Supercharger. Well we assume it is a stock long block. Car was purchased through an auction with the following modifcations.

Vortech S Trim pullied for 13 psi

Siemens 60's

SCT BA2800 Maf

Aeromotive A 1000 (Had to replace it today)

Aeromotive Lines and Rails

A number of suspension modifications.

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Customer%20Cars/Brian%20Cheatwood/SDC10798.JPG

Yes I am aware of the what happened to Chads cobra given the power it was making. Customer is aware that this pushing the limits of the stock long block. A new long block and supercharger head unit is going in over the winter and will be shooting for 700+ RWHP.

Blue=On3 Turbo Kit

Red= Vortech Supercharger

Looks like the turbo car makes the same rwhp with 2 pounds less boost at the peaks. (9.5 vs 11.5). The Suprcharger Car made a peak of 13.5 psi at 6700 rpm's

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/1999%20Cobra%20-%20Vortech%20vs%20Turbo.jpg

Blue Lines=New Aeromotive A1000

Red Lines=Defective Aeromotive A1000

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/1999%20Cobra%20-%20Brian%20Cheatwood.jpg

Heres a random thought, what CFM does each produce? I'd rather know the amount of air moving and not the PSI at this point. Both seem to be doing a decent job of making power too. How about a rematch when both of these have built motors? That should be fun.

Heres a random thought, what CFM does each produce? I'd rather know the amount of air moving and not the PSI at this point. Both seem to be doing a decent job of making power too. How about a rematch when both of these have built motors? That should be fun.

At this point, who really cares? Compare the AIT and call it a day.

Compare the torque curves. If I were shopping between the two and saw that chart it would be a no-brainer. Do I want progressive power building to a peak, or do I want a flat torque curve with a broad powerband?

wow look at the tq difference though...

I dont like the paint on teh red one at all... good numbers for sure though

That's the first thing I noticed. Keep in mind that Vortechs don't make peak boost until stupid high in the rpm's. Depending on the size of the turbo, you can hit peak boost a lot lower in the RPM's compared to the vortech.

At this point, who really cares? Compare the AIT and call it a day.

Compare the torque curves. If I were shopping between the two and saw that chart it would be a no-brainer. Do I want progressive power building to a peak, or do I want a flat torque curve with a broad powerband?

When you have non-driver A let off of the gas and take time to shift in the turbo car how long does it take to come back into boost? How about the same with the vortech car? We can do this all day. Bottom line is that both cars make good power and I personally would take the blower car. Too many turbo boys running around these days. I care because people are comparing boost #'s and not flow #'s. If the turbo is pushing more air through, then it will make more power with less boost. Both are fun, but I'll take the blower car with a bigger version of the vortech. Of course that's with a good bottom end.

Guest Removed

that would depend on how one is pulled, and the other is gated... i mean really. and if the dyno graph showed maf voltage, and we knew that one is draw through and the other is blow thru, you could sit down and figure it out.

When you have non-driver A let off of the gas and take time to shift in the turbo car how long does it take to come back into boost? How about the same with the vortech car? We can do this all day. Bottom line is that both cars make good power and I personally would take the blower car. Too many turbo boys running around these days. I care because people are comparing boost #'s and not flow #'s. If the turbo is pushing more air through, then it will make more power with less boost. Both are fun, but I'll take the blower car with a bigger version of the vortech. Of course that's with a good bottom end.

I do t really know what you are getting at but if you ever rode in one of my turbo cars it's always in full boost after a shift. The s/c car regardless will not be back to full boost again till redline. Also most any s/c mod motor car makes lower torque than hp. Another reason why I like the turbo route on them. My car made 440/396 on 8# and 9.4 now on the turbo making 150 more ft lbs on 1.4# of boost

Guest Removed
I do t really know what you are getting at but if you ever rode in one of my turbo cars it's always in full boost after a shift. The s/c car regardless will not be back to full boost again till redline. Also most any s/c mod motor car makes lower torque than hp. Another reason why I like the turbo route on them. My car made 440/396 on 8# and 9.4 now on the turbo making 150 more ft lbs on 1.4# of boost

and thats how you vented the block there buddie. torque. to much can be a bad thing. and your rods said so! 4th gear is the true load on a motor. the super charger is going to be more linear in its power curve. hence being easier on the rods . but then what does turbo charging or super charging do to a engine? it moves more air into it. right! its not a apples to apples comparison. its apples and oranges. cause a turbo is not a super charger. they only share 1 thing in common, they move air. like take a 76mm turbo of your choice, custom impellers, a/r what ever. its not going to move the same amount of air as a f3 blower...or f2 for that matter. so if you wanna take a turbo and compare it to a super charger, compare the one thing they have in common. air flow.

No need to get defensive. I know what your car made before. I used to see it at the track way back then. I'm just saying that it seems like everyone and their brother is knocking blower cars lately and it makes me laugh. I would have liked to have ridden in your car before it blew to see how it felt in comparison to some of the other blower cars running around. I guess I'll have to wait for the built version of it :)

Edited by DKilbourne

I like my procharger blower!! Think n i may upgrade to a f series head unit and e85 it, think n i can get about 800 out of with that combo, i like turbo cars there cool, butt there is alot of people knocking blowers, its all in how you build your car!! here latley ive seen a few turbo cars not having to much luck!! Edited by mitchsY2kGT