2g Dsm Buying Help

Nickey4271647545519

Hopefully going to look at a 98 eclipse GS-T in the next couple of days. Heres what i know about it so far. 131k on the body, 60k on the short block, fresh head. 60k on turbo. 3in turbo back stainless exhaust. Guy said it had new water pump, timing belt and possilby something else :doh: , new brakes, tie rods and alignment and clutch.

What else should i be looking for? Anything other than the usual that is.

Thanks,

Nickey

And if it already has mods, chances are it's in that 90 percentile.

thats true, but all it has is exhaust and tint. The guy who owns just the put the motor in himself ( says he's an ASE master tech of 25years ). I gotta hope for the best. it's going to be a school car for me, basically all it has to do is get me to lima and back. Just want something that'll be a little fun in the process too.:gtfo:

thats true, but all it has is exhaust and tint. The guy who owns just the put the motor in himself ( says he's an ASE master tech of 25years ). I gotta hope for the best. it's going to be a school car for me, basically all it has to do is get me to lima and back. Just want something that'll be a little fun in the process too.:gtfo:

Does that mean it hasn't been thrashed on?

Bout to ask a stupid question. what do i need to look for, when looking for signs of crank walk?

Crank-walk is a over-hyped Myth its not as common as people say. The only time to really check the crank is in 95 models, they have had other years walk but much more common in that year. 96-97 98-99 models blocks were made different , same cast 7 bolt just made with different material they are less likey to walk. People have no idea that any motor can crank-walk even the gody supra had issues with the trust bearing and crank play. If your your is stock and your not going to beat on it, I doubt anything will ever happen. You start making some power and putting a heavy 2600 lb clutch in you might have a chance over time. Ive had 7 dsm's and worked on them for a while and ive yet to ever have a car crank-walk .Ive personally have never even seen one and ive been around many. I have seen peoples engines out of spec online but not personally.

Ask if there has ever been clutch issues? ask him if he has ever checked for crankwalk? ask him who put together the engine? ask if its a 6 or 7 bolt block, who knows he might have did you a favor and put in a 6 bolt. ask if all the maintenance was done. If you are 100% wanting to buy it he could measure the end play of the crank for you that way you know its in spec. I had a 98 gst and I checked 2 times a year and it never move out of spec was a good car to me.

Crank-walk is a over-hyped Myth its not as common as people say. The only time to really check the crank is in 95 models, they have had other years walk but much more common in that year. 96-97 98-99 models blocks were made different , same cast 7 bolt just made with different material they are less likey to walk. People have no idea that any motor can crank-walk even the gody supra had issues with the trust bearing and crank play. If your your is stock and your not going to beat on it, I doubt anything will ever happen. You start making some power and putting a heavy 2600 lb clutch in you might have a chance over time. Ive had 7 dsm's and worked on them for a while and ive yet to ever have a car crank-walk .Ive personally have never even seen one and ive been around many. I have seen peoples engines out of spec online but not personally.

thats good to hear... I think. If i get this car it'll keep the exhaust it has, and it might get a FMIC and a nice blow off, that's it.

Thanks guys,

Nickey

Ask if there has ever been clutch issues? ask him if he has ever checked for crankwalk? ask him who put together the engine? ask if its a 6 or 7 bolt block, who knows he might have did you a favor and put in a 6 bolt. ask if all the maintenance was done. If you are 100% wanting to buy it he could measure the end play of the crank for you that way you know its in spec. I had a 98 gst and I checked 2 times a year and it never move out of spec was a good car to me.

Guy said it was a brand new clutch, he put the engine together himself. he's a ASE master tech so i'll trust him. 6-7 bolt is literally the number of bolts on the flywheel correct? and if we get real serious about buying it, I'll ask to have the end play checked.

IF you can get the car on a lift, take the tranny shield off exposing the flywheel , you can use a feeler guage or micrometer or the one guage with the 2 calipers and digital reading. The best i the one with 2 calipers and digital reading. Zero the guage out between the fly wheel and the oilpan, have someone push the clutch in and use a pry bar to pry carefully on the crank pulley. You dont need to pry hard just nice and firm. hopfully your reading is between 0.005", and 0.006

Guy said it was a brand new clutch, he put the engine together himself. he's a ASE master tech so i'll trust him. 6-7 bolt is literally the number of bolts on the flywheel correct? and if we get real serious about buying it, I'll ask to have the end play checked.

Yes the number of bolts holding the flywheel .

Beat me to it.

If anything, the #1 problem to look for on a 2G is rust on the strut towers.

Just another point to consider it does not matter if he is an ASE tech or not, it is a saying that technician cars are some of the worst maintained cars on the road. Not saying all tech's cars are, but some are.

As mentioned check for rust on the front strut towers especially if the car is an Ohio car all it's life. Also pull the oil dip stick and make sure the end of the dipstick is still silver, if it is brown after you wipe the oil off as if it is hardened to it chances are it has not had frequent enough oil changes.

With a technician it is tough to ask for receipts, so you'll just have to go by gut instinct on the honesty of the timing belt being replaced.

Dont forget he mentioned a 60k miles shortblock. If your going to swap shortblock chance's are there's a 6 bolt in there (and there's a chance there isnt of course but its a possability).

To the OP, just what was said before. Rust on the strut tower's is a big issue, when you take a look at it ask him if there is a 6bolt shortblock in it. (6bolt shortblock refer's to an engine in the 1g DSM's, 2g DSM's are refered to as 7bolt. A common mod was to do a 6bolt swap if there were sign's of crankwalk). Most of all, just know this isn't going to be a reliable daily driver. Sounds like its been modded already and probably lost most of its mod-able virginity. If your looking for a project sounds great but i wouldnt invest my money into a DSM as a daily driver ever again.

Dont forget he mentioned a 60k miles shortblock. If your going to swap shortblock chance's are there's a 6 bolt in there (and there's a chance there isnt of course but its a possability).

To the OP, just what was said before. Rust on the strut tower's is a big issue, when you take a look at it ask him if there is a 6bolt shortblock in it. (6bolt shortblock refer's to an engine in the 1g DSM's, 2g DSM's are refered to as 7bolt. A common mod was to do a 6bolt swap if there were sign's of crankwalk). Most of all, just know this isn't going to be a reliable daily driver. Sounds like its been modded already and probably lost most of its mod-able virginity. If your looking for a project sounds great but i wouldnt invest my money into a DSM as a daily driver ever again.

If someone is just trying to place a block that someone lets say spun a bearing/ or the thrust bearing did wear premature, They are not going to take the time and swap into a 6 bolt, its going to require someone to spend extra money on clutch flywheel ect. Half the time people cant even do the swap righ and the car will throw codes left and right. You can tell just by looking at the wiring to the cas, or if the car is running a 1g head. You can either see if its running a green/black/silver cas. Most 2g with 6 bolt swaps with 1g heads will be running the hall cas (black). Take some good pictures of the motor and post them up.

For all the crankwalk people, it was prolly an issue with the early 7 bolt blocks casting, but here still is not hard evidence that its not just issues from modding a car with a heavy duty pressure plate. If there was motors crankwalking like no other you would think there would be a recall. Someone of the motors that supposed crankwalk victims are rebuilt . How many 7 bolt blocks do you know, not read about have walked a thrust bearing bone stock and under 100k miles? That means never been modded with a HD clutch or any mods. prolly slim to none. Supra's have the same damn issue with premature bearing wear, the only issue why it is not a big. is because the supra community has money to fix the engine properly